Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Electronic fireplace question

I have a 2007 Montana 3475 RL. Does the electric fireplace hve a blower? The woodwork above it gets very hot so I do not use the heat part of it. I think all would be fine if a blower we incorperated. I don't see any switch for a blower maybe it is supposed to come on automaticly but does not?

shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Yes, it does have a blower, but I notice that my woodwork gets almost uncomfortably warm, too, even with the blower. You should be able feel if the blower is working and look into the heater section with a flashlight to make sure.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
The blower switch is inside the door along the bottom on the right side. There are two switches, a rocker switch to turn on and off and a round switch to control temp. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:36 AM   #4
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I would call Dimplex and be patient when calling as it takes a bit to get through to them. My guess is you might very well have a blower problem which seems to be almost common on these things. You should be able to feel the heat coming out of the top of the unit blowing on you at a pretty good pace. Be safe and check with Dimplex and as others have noted here you may want to pull it out and check the wiring for loose connections, another common problem.

Will also add that Dimplex are great people to work with.
Dimplex phone number 888-3467539

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:10 AM   #5
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
I also felt the wood was to hot. So I pulled out the unit and bought mason board, like goes behind a wood stove. It was 1/4" thick, I put spacers and long bolts hung it just above the unit so there was an air space. Reinstalled the fireplace and thier was a great deal of heat absorbted. I also Drilled 1/2" Holes in the cabinet to let out some of that heat. I hope this helps. Merry Christmas
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:40 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
On the right side of the opened panel, I have 1 rocker (on/off) switch and two control knobs. one of them is a dimmer switch on the light. The other controls the oscillation of the flame projection. On the left side, there is a rocker for the heater portion and a control knob to determine the amount of heat.

The left side controls allow us to determine the amount of heat coming into the room. We can turn it off completely and only have the light portion of the fireplace if we wish. With the right side controls we determine the aspects of the fireplace's appearance.

This heater and fireplace has worked well for us over 4 years. It is used daily in cooler weather to knock the morning chill off the room. Frequently, in mildly cool weather that is all that is required, so it saves us propane. In that time, the only maintenance I have done is to take out the unit and replace one of the light bulbs that make the flame (rather, one had burned out, so I replaced them all). While I was in there, I checked all the connections and thoroughly cleaned the unit, especially the mirrors the make the flame wriggle.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

On the right side of the opened panel, I have 1 rocker (on/off) switch and two control knobs. one of them is a dimmer switch on the light. The other controls the oscillation of the flame projection. On the left side, there is a rocker for the heater portion and a control knob to determine the amount of heat.

The left side controls allow us to determine the amount of heat coming into the room. We can turn it off completely and only have the light portion of the fireplace if we wish. With the right side controls we determine the aspects of the fireplace's appearance.
As posted earlier, our controls are exactly opposite of Stiles'. Larry
As posted earlier, our controls are located exactly opposite of Stiles.

This heater and fireplace has worked well for us over 4 years. It is used daily in cooler weather to knock the morning chill off the room. Frequently, in mildly cool weather that is all that is required, so it saves us propane. In that time, the only maintenance I have done is to take out the unit and replace one of the light bulbs that make the flame (rather, one had burned out, so I replaced them all). While I was in there, I checked all the connections and thoroughly cleaned the unit, especially the mirrors the make the flame wriggle.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #8
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
I see that I have to replace 1 of the switches on the right side. It is broken. How is the unit removed? I suppose I start by removing the 4 decortive covers over some screws on the front of fireplace? After Christmas I'll attempt it.
Merry Christmas and happy New Year to all.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
That is exactly right. Remove the decorative pegs and remove the screws, then the unit should just pull forward. You will find that it is plugged into a receptacle in the back behind the unit. It has been a while since I took it apart, but any other dis-assembly is fairly intuitive.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Go to the dimplex internet site. Once you have your model number,under customer support you can find all the info you need. from owners manuals to assembly drawings,etc: Should find what you need there
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Are one of the knobs suppose to act like a thermostat and make the heat cycle on and off?

Cause if so, mine doesn't work, I can turn the knob so the heat turns off, or on, but it doesn't cycle.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
[quote]Originally posted by oldelmer1

Are one of the knobs suppose to act like a thermostat and make the heat cycle on and off?

Cause if so, mine doesn't work, I can turn the knob so the heat turns off, or on, but it doesn't cycle.
[/qu
Ours cycles at lower temps. Larry
Old 12-23-2011, 02:58 AM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It is a thermostat to control the amount of heat or the number of BTUs emitted, but it is not a cycling type that works like your furnace-A/C thermostat. This is the knob on the left side near the on/off toggle.