Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
I'm back online!

Looks like my computer is clean now. My Hotmail and Facebook accounts were hacked and taken over by someone(s). Emails asking for money were sent out using my name and Hotmail address. I will no longer use Hotmail and do not know how to get back into Facebook so I may stay away from there, too. I am sorry if any of you received the email asking for money. - Jim

boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Welcome back Jim. Get back on FB with a new screen name and new yahoo or AOL email address. Like jboylan or little Jimmy B, or Carol's hubby Jim. easy fix... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That scam hs been making the rounds as of late. we know of several folks who got hacked with the same results. Hope you got some better security on your PC. We have nevr received that scam from any source.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
SCAM??? I want the money back that I sent ya!
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Jim,
Glad you are back on line. Dave pointed me to Kaspersky interned security. It seems to work well for me.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, unfortunately they do not have to have access to your computer, or your email account. It's called "Spoofing." They could have harvested your email by many, many various means. The easiest way is by the way people forward emails with everyone's email address intact. The address can be harvested in many ways and by hacking into someone's computer that has your email address. You can have the most sophisticated security software in the world, and your email address can be spoofed. If you look at the headers in an email (NOT just the from, to, cc line, but the internal header) the only thing that points to you is your name and email address, but the reply address will be to the person that is spoofing your email.

Please do a search on "spoofing email" without the quotes for information.

From CERT:

"It is easy to spoof email because SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) lacks authentication. If a site has configured the mail server to allow connections to the SMTP port, anyone can connect to the SMTP port of a site and (in accordance with that protocol) issue commands that will send email that appears to be from the address of the individual's choice; this can be a valid email address or a fictitious address that is correctly formatted."

Here is some information that explains "Spoofing"
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Thanks Wayne for that great info on Spoofing. Enjoyed it
Andy
Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Jim,
I worry about my MOC friends a lot, so, I just went ahead and sent the money order for you to your Nigerian friends....glad to hear you are well, and all the problems have been taken care of now.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
So Jim,
What are the chances that I will get my money back?

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote