Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2017, 10:13 AM   #21
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
You can get real leather...expect to pay about 1500 or more per recliner. Real leather couch...3000 or more. John

Old 01-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #22
Ragtacker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17932
Just a news flash lazy boy uses bonded as well they aint what they used to be. I know I repair them ,plywood is now particle board good steel is cheap metal they are no better than most other crap just riding on a name imho
Ragtacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:27 PM   #23
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I bought a pair of Lazy boys for my old 2012 and you are right Ragtacker they are not what they use to be BUT they were still better than the SUPER cheap crap Flair Brand Bonded Leather that came on my 2012 Monty and the Franklin brand that comes stock now on Montana's is better than the Old Flair they used
Old 01-16-2017, 02:59 AM   #24
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Read the label on your leather furniture and see what you have....

Bonded leather is the lowest grade of leather, because it is not really leather – just shredded leather scraps and bits reconstituted with a filler and backed with an embossed polyurethane coating. It’s very cheap, but falls apart quickly. Bonded leather is found in low-end furniture and accessories, and sometimes book binding. You may also see this referred to as reconstituted or blended leather.
Yup! You explained it perfectly Rich.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:12 AM   #25
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ragtacker

Just a news flash lazy boy uses bonded as well they aint what they used to be. I know I repair them ,plywood is now particle board good steel is cheap metal they are no better than most other crap just riding on a name imho
X2...We used to be in the furniture business and can safely say that Lazyboy has been resting on their reputation for perhaps a decade now all the while racing to the bottom quality wise like the RV industry. Completely driven though by the consumers quest for the best for less.

Now we are happy with names like Lazyboy, Franklin and yes Montana as they are perhaps the best of the worst. Good thing we keep lowering our standards.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:36 AM   #26
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Most people wont pay extra to get something better. If you set two chairs side by side and they look the same one cost $500 and the other is $1000. Which one do you think most people will buy? I paid an extra $700 a few years ago to get the good leather. Was it worth it? Probably not but the chair still looks like new.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:59 AM   #27
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
[/quote]Good thing we keep lowering our standards.
[/quote]
Don't forget to lower your expectations as well. Helps to minimize disappointments
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:21 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Read the label on your leather furniture and see what you have....

Bonded leather is the lowest grade of leather, because it is not really leather – just shredded leather scraps and bits reconstituted with a filler and backed with an embossed polyurethane coating. It’s very cheap, but falls apart quickly. Bonded leather is found in low-end furniture and accessories, and sometimes book binding. You may also see this referred to as reconstituted or blended leather.
Yup! You explained it perfectly Rich.
Which is way we did NOT order our 13 3402 Big sky with the OEM leather junk.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #29
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625

X2 and that is why we threw out the cheap piece of ---- sofa after it fell apart in less than a year.
Yes we don't get what we pay for because "Keystone" buys the best there is
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:48 PM   #30
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
I feel fortunate. Our 09 Big Sky must have real good leather rather than bonded, as it looks just as great as it did when we got it from the factory. And yes, we have put it to the test for many a mile and many nights!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:51 AM   #31
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
I had the same problem with it peeling, the leather that is. My unit is still in the 1 year warrantee, Keystone denied it 3 times, said it was wear, even though it was hardly used. I contacted Lippert, the manufacture, sent them pictures, and they sent replacement to CW to be installed in my unit.
I have already said in another thread, with the warrantee issues I have had, having to fight to get things approved, I will not be buying another keystone product, ill be going back to Grand Designs.
2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:59 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did not get the leather but the OEM replacement cloth sofa is still looking good after 4 years and hard use as a long timer. We are waiting for it to wear out or fall apart so we can get better.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:00 AM   #33
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
First, accept that you got simulated leather, not real leather. Real leather doesn't peel, and it would have been way more expensive (and slightly heavier) than that simulated leather you paid for. The bad news is those who pay any extra for not-so-real leather or alternative to fabric won't get the benefits of improvement from fabric just like there are cheaper fabrics that don't last as well.

Beware, then there's the leather-covered furniture, like veneered wood, where the leather covering is so thin over a manufactured fabric, it does what you are describing. I wonder if microfiber would have been a better option, but I recall some have complained that it glazes over or is prone to slower wear than fabric.

Like Rich described, we have had our rig over 10 years and our fabric still looks great and it hasn't needed replacement. However in our case, we use our recliner chairs way more often, and we are on a second set of those because the prior recliners fell apart from poor workmanship.

It's always something..... .
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:59 AM   #34
lkeller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11076
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dmcgrew

Threw our "leather" furniture away and bought Lazy Boy. Best thing you can do to be comfortable. The original furniture is junk. Upgrade was a waste of money but what do you do?
lkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:06 AM   #35
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
There is a Lazyboy furniture store in our neighborhood. They have a lot more furniture in there besides recliner chairs, like sofas and sofas that have reclining seats within. Nice stuff, but I'd still wonder about weight. Of course, then there's the fact that our sofa is actually a sofa bed which is pretty heavy, so maybe a lazyboy style sofa might be lighter than that sofabed.

Good luck with your sofa, Larry.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #36
lkeller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11076
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

They did make a change they do not use Flair Interiors anymore(do not know about the High Country's) mine and all the newer Montana's that I have looked at have FRANKLIN brand which is an improvement and Again folks you are Not on ANY Brand in Montana's price range going to get REAL Leather
Changed suppliers but think somehow Flair just changed name or was bought and is supplying under a new name.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:21 AM   #37
lkeller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11076
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

I bought a pair of Lazy boys for my old 2012 and you are right Ragtacker they are not what they use to be BUT they were still better than the SUPER cheap crap Flair Brand Bonded Leather that came on my 2012 Monty and the Franklin brand that comes stock now on Montana's is better than the Old Flair they used
Talked to Lazy Boy salesman. They said they stopped using bonded leather a few years back here in Florida. Not sure the quality of their new "Performance Leather" went with fabric this time.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:22 AM   #38
lkeller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11076
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Oldguard

X2 and that is why we threw out the cheap piece of ---- sofa after it fell apart in less than a year.
Yes we don't get what we pay for because "Keystone" buys the best there is
Smart, will never order OEM furniture again!
Old 01-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #39
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our OEM cloth furniture on the 06 3400 held up well and now the 13 3b402 is holding up well.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #40
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
We went with the "leather" when we ordered our Mountaineer. Have a dog and its easier to clean than cloth. Not sure of the brand. The material is holding up well but the sofa/bed was so uncomfortable that we dumped it after 1 years use. The recliners will be the next thing to go. Seating position is providing less support than when new and it wasn't great when new. The cable pull on one of the recliners just snapped and after flipping the chair upside down it doesn't appear to be that easy to fix. Are thinking of putting in a futon in place where the sofa/bed was and perhaps some Ikea Poang chairs in place of the recliners. May also take out the table (seldom use it) and replace with shelving unit. These changes should make it much more functional for us and reduce the weight a bit as well.
When we ordered our unit we asked if we could get it without furniture and get a price reduction but were told this was not an option.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote