Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #1
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
Auxilary diesel tank

I’am considering purchasing and installing a Titan Travel Trekker auxilary tank.I have done my homework and all good reports out there so far.
Anyone hear good or bad about this product?

Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:44 PM   #2
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
I hear they work well, have a friend that has one. I opted for the Transfer Flow 50, mostly because in the summer I live about 10 miles from their factory and pulling from FL to CA was interesting being worried about where to get fuel.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:41 PM   #3
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreG L. View Post
I hear they work well, have a friend that has one. I opted for the Transfer Flow 50, mostly because in the summer I live about 10 miles from their factory and pulling from FL to CA was interesting being worried about where to get fuel.
Thanks appreciate the input.
Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:56 PM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I replaced my OEM tank with an aftermarket Titan tank. It is a well made product with no issues since installation.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #5
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
I installed a 40gallon deezee gravity feed tank. Works great as soon as you get to the 1/4 mark open the valve and it slowly fills.
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #6
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
We have a tank manufacturer in Lake Havasu City, AZ. KSH, Brian i think is the owner. He will build you anything you like also he is at Q ever year.

I got a 40 Gal gravity flow installed for $660.00

Love it and it gives me choices when and were to fuel.

I have no affiliation with this business.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:30 AM   #7
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Didn't I read that gravity flow is illegal in some states or is it just my sometimes kicking in.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #8
pjames32

M.O.C. #22477
I have a 42 gallon in bed tank with a small tool box on top that I bought from Northern. It is hooked up to gravity feed with a manual valve that I usually leave open and just fill as needed thru the aux tank unless the main tank is down. ONE PROBLEM I have is the truck's computer will often show a check engine signal when running on the aux tank. It senses the truck is running but not using fuel! GM and my dealer cannot find the issue so I live with it. This did not occur with my 2007 Duramax and does not occur with my friends 2012 Duramax. Mine is a 2014 Duramax so YMMV! This does not affect the fuel mileage calculation, but does drop the fuel gauge to empty until you start using the main tank. The check light resets on the first restart after you start using the main tank.
pjames32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #9
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjames32 View Post
I have a 42 gallon in bed tank with a small tool box on top that I bought from Northern. It is hooked up to gravity feed with a manual valve that I usually leave open and just fill as needed thru the aux tank unless the main tank is down. ONE PROBLEM I have is the truck's computer will often show a check engine signal when running on the aux tank. It senses the truck is running but not using fuel! GM and my dealer cannot find the issue so I live with it. This did not occur with my 2007 Duramax and does not occur with my friends 2012 Duramax. Mine is a 2014 Duramax so YMMV! This does not affect the fuel mileage calculation, but does drop the fuel gauge to empty until you start using the main tank. The check light resets on the first restart after you start using the main tank.

This is a known issue with gravity feed systems, also overfill and line leakage that you cant tell until you stop. Not recommending Transfer Flow but they have a good write up on gravity feed tanks in the center section of this page https://www.transferflow.com/regulations

Yes you have to look past their sales pitch but still good information.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:27 PM   #10
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
I replaced my OEM tank with an aftermarket Titan tank. It is a well made product with no issues since installation.
We did the same. It has worked out well for us too.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:31 PM   #11
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20747
I went the cheap route and bought a 100 gal.L-shaped fuel tank and 8 gpm 12 V fuel pump from Tractor Supply and put it and my low profile tool box in the bed of my truck. Gives me better than a 1300 mi. range. "Gas Buddy" generally finds decent fuel prices within that range. I seldom buy fuel while hooked to the 5er. When we travel beyond the range of my F350's oem tank in a day, I top off from the auxiliary tank when we stop for lunch. There is a filter on the 12 volt pump so the fuel gets an additional filtering. I figure that half of the additional 800 lbs of fuel is on the front axle (long wheel base) and so only 400 lbs added to rear axle when completely full.
GAinaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #12
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
I had a 60 gal tank installed from Camping World with gravity feed and small tool chest on top. If I burn up the onboard tank, and nearly empty the aux tank, it is time to stop for the night.
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:29 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We thought about it then decided it was not advantages cost vs benefits. We seldom run 300 miles a day when on the road and always stop a couple of times in 12 years on the road fuel has never been a problem. It would take a very long time to make up any savings in fuel cost not to mention the added weight of the fuel and tank.

If your mode of travel makes it advantages it will be a good buy.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:40 PM   #14
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Range has always been a big deal for me. Towing a 34 TT and a 25 gallon gas tank and having to find a station that I could get in and out of kind of drove that home. LWB CC Fords now come standard with a 48 gallon tank. About another 15 would just about be right.

Gravity feed with the valve tied to an uplifter switch does seem attractive. Too many other enhancements on the list ahead of it.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:19 PM   #15
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreG L. View Post
Didn't I read that gravity flow is illegal in some states or is it just my sometimes kicking in.
If it isn't, it should be.

Actuall, it IS illegal (found online):

Gravity Feeding is Illegal
Here are some laws (regulations) which pertain to gravity feed fuel tanks, and why they are illegal.

49 CFR CH.III (393.65) 6d; Gravity or syphon feeding is prohibited.
49 CFR CH.III (393.67) 7.4.5.; Fuel withdrawal fittings. The fittings through which fuel is withdrawn from a tank must be located above the noraml level of fuel in the tank when the tank is full.
In other words, the fuel must come from the top of the tank and not from a fitting on the bottom. For safety reasons, all aluminum tanks manufactured by ATTA will have no fittings on the bottom. When in doubt, look at your factory tank.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #16
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Is that Federal or just your state?
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:04 PM   #17
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Just reading though some of the laws and comments. There seems to be some confusion between a transfer tank and an auxiliary fuel tank.

From what I read you can not gravity feed from a transfer tank but in some states you can from an auxiliary fuel tank??

This one is going to make us crazy.
Let the games begin.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:43 PM   #18
Beau2010
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18355
Bad Moon is giving bad info. The regulations he cites DO NOT say that gravity feed systems are illegal. Those regulations (Code of Federal Regulations Sec. 393.65 and .67) say that gravity or syphon feeding fuel directly to the carburetor or injector is prohibited. Read beyond the caption before you spout off. These are federal regs, not from any one state.

I assume everyone understands that fuel flowing by gravity from an auxiliary tank to the main tank, which is how they all work, is not being fed directly to the injectors. Bad Moon is either selling fuel systems or gets his info from someone who does.
Beau2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:04 PM   #19
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau2010 View Post
Bad Moon is giving bad info. The regulations he cites DO NOT say that gravity feed systems are illegal. Those regulations (Code of Federal Regulations Sec. 393.65 and .67) say that gravity or syphon feeding fuel directly to the carburetor or injector is prohibited. Read beyond the caption before you spout off. These are federal regs, not from any one state.

I assume everyone understands that fuel flowing by gravity from an auxiliary tank to the main tank, which is how they all work, is not being fed directly to the injectors. Bad Moon is either selling fuel systems or gets his info from someone who does.
I am not in the business, and I clearly stated I pulled that off the internet, which is also obvious if you read to the end of the post. However not “all” transfer tanks or auxiliary tanks use gravity feed. And using a little common sense you will see that to have a 40 or 90 or 100 gallon tank of fuel with a fitting and a hose at the bottom is asking for trouble. Hoses rot, and fittings leak. This is a safety issue, not “spouting off”. This is why ALL vehicle manufacturers are required by law to pull the fuel using a fuel inlet attached to the top of the tank, not the bottom. Take 5 minutes and do an internet search.

https://www.transferflow.com/regulations
Bad Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:36 PM   #20
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I would think if it is illegal then the many manufactures of auxiliary tanks would have a visit by the feds. Never the less, i have had the RDS 60 gal. auxiliary fuel tank for 6 years and it has worked great. I would recommend a extra or larger tank to anyone who wants to stay out of the truck stops or interstate fuel stations with there RV. As for Jersey Devil the Titan seems to have a good reputation and i would go for it. The positives way out weigh the negatives.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote