Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2018, 06:17 PM   #21
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Hello and welcome,
When we built our shop I went with 14 ft doors. Everything works fine. We have the big vent covers on also and still no problems. We did have to raise the door opener motors up just a bit to make sure but I think it would have cleared anyway.

jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:29 PM   #22
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmitfl View Post
Hello and welcome,
When we built our shop I went with 14 ft doors. Everything works fine. We have the big vent covers on also and still no problems. We did have to raise the door opener motors up just a bit to make sure but I think it would have cleared anyway.
I'm envious. Any pictures?
Old 08-05-2018, 11:08 PM   #23
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We have a totally enclosed pole barn that is 50'X72' and it has entrance and exit doors on both ends so I can pull in one end and pullout the other. Both of the doors are 14' clearance with a 16' ceiling on the inside. We have had the units height measured and it is 13' 3" and it clears the doors with no problem.
That friend of a friend of your has a real problem too. If his A/C won't clear a 14' door it more than likely will not clear some of the overpasses of the highways across the US either.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:19 AM   #24
Rcerne
Established Member

M.O.C. #17861
14' doors are all you need. If your 5'r was taller than 14' you would be in a world of hurt towing it down the highway. Most overpasses are 14' and up.
Rcerne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:21 AM   #25
Larry L
Established Member

M.O.C. #20313
14 ft clearance

First of all welcome to the forum from Idaho. Just an update on legal height. Commercial vehicl legal height was updated to14 feet before needing to buy an overheight permit. The only problem is many small towns may not have utility wires moved to that new height. That doesn't actually have any thing to do with your question but while traveling you should be able to clear any overhead structure that's not marked with a height restriction sign but it's always important to watch for overhead obstacles tree limbs especially. Happy rv ing
Larry L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:01 AM   #26
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
I have a 40 by 50 shop and a 14 foot door on the rv side of my shop I have no problems backing the 5’er in and closing the door with room to open the slides while inside the shop being 50 foot deep it gives me plenty of room to walk around and do my service with out moving the 5’er around. I have the door over more to the center so I would have space on the side of the shop for work bench’s and shelves and my tool boxes. I was lucky enough to find this place with this shop built especially for a large 5’er very well thought out by the builder. I just added all the bench’s and tools to make it complete. Good luck and before you build really put some thought into how you want to use it and where it will sit inside the shop. Being able to walk around it is a big help.
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:16 AM   #27
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
Every few months I have to get on roof of our 3160RL 5er to check sealant & roof EPDM. If we had a building, I would want about 6' above roof. Working on the roof with the sun is very hot job
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:32 AM   #28
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
Great point margerush I should have mentioned that as well. My shop was very well planned as I stated and being here in Montana we have a metal roof with a lot of pitch so the builder used a scissor truss so I have 24 feet to the bottom of my rafters from the center floor of my shop and my side walls are 16 foot plate height. This is perfectly built for my big Montana. The builder had a great plan and when we found this place the shop was a major selling point. If I were to build a shop instead I would not have thought about these things. But luckily I found this one and learned a bunch from his design.
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote