Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Rte 301, Gainesville to Jacksonville

For years folks have been talking about the short cut from Gainesville to Jacksonville Florida or vice versa using Rte 301.
In the past, I have always taken I-75 to I-10 to Jacksonville but this time I thought I give the "Short Cut" a try.
Yes it is shorter mileage wise but that is where it ends.
With the lower speed limits. Some places 25MPH and lower in School Zones. Got to be extra careful as the cops love their speed traps.
Stop and go at traffic lights which besides slowing you down burns way to much extra fuel.
And of course local traffic. Getting thru Stark was not enjoyable.

Well you can keep the short cut and 301. I may have saved a few minutes, and I ain't sure I did, but the aggravating traffic lights and just plain traffic as well as the extra fuel consumption from stop and go CANCELLED out any savings. Hereafter, I'll stick to the Interstates.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:01 AM   #2
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

Ah yes...Waldo,Starke and Lawtey.I know the area too well.Never been stopped or ticketed there but you can bet they are watching very very closely.I stay a couple mph under the posted speed limit as the limits decrease just to be sure.

Starke does have a nice original personally owned historic Western Auto store just off Main St./301 which is a flashback to the late fifties/early sixties.The as new old window displays will definitely take you back.It has an original vintage like new Western Flyer bicycle in the window surrounded by period correct items.

Have a safe trip!!!
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Lawtey, THE speed trap of Florida. Boy, it's been a while since I've thought about Lawtey. It is aggravating going thru Starke, a traffic light every city block and they aren't even synchronized!!!

Ahhh, the memories. Thanks Glenn!
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote