Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
Paintpro99
Established Member

M.O.C. #3285
DULL GEL COAT FINISH

Help! I did a really stupid thing. I was trying to take the bugs off the front of my 3400 and used a scrubby pad. Unfortunately it dulled the gel coat finish and left tiny scratches. I tried waxing it but you can still see the damage. Is there anyone out there who has a solution to bringing back the finish? I was hoping there might be a special wax that I could use. I even tried to buff it with a polishing pad but it didn't really make much difference. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Paintpro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I've used this product to remove oxidation on the gel coat but don't know what effect it will have on scratches.

http://marinerv.meguiars.com/product...Color-Restorer

You might do an Internet search and see if there is anything that would take care of your problem.

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I believe Charlie is on the right path. Check with a Marine supply to see what alternatives are available. Boats have gel coat finishes that tend to get scratches as well. (Don't ask how I know this, cause I won't tell about my docking experiences!!!)
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Next time you go to remove the bugs off your Monte's face try using fabric softener sheets (new or used) for the dryer. Just wet them and buff those nasty little critters off it's face. I use them on my Monte and all our vehicles including the TV for the Monte! If the bugs are baked on or let to stand for several days, it may take two wash downs but they will come off and no scratches! I agree with Charlie and Bingo that the best place to find something to restore that finish is to check with a marine dealer or repair shop! If I get a chance to talk to my brother-in-law I'll ask him also. He repairs and builds boat up in Washington. I'll PM you or email you and also put it on this thread!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
I had polishing swirls in the clear coat of my miata. I use a product called liquid clay bar that I got from O'Reilleys. It worked great! The miata now shines like new. The product is designed to take the swirl marks out of clear coats.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Try gel-gloss, worked great on mine..available at CW, Lowes of Home Depot.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #7
harleyf250
Established Member

M.O.C. #7443
try this http://www.marinestore.com/vertglas....03758515015#RV
harleyf250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
RVTraveler

M.O.C. #8709
Is the front (and rear) end caps on all Montana's actually fiberglass with a gelcoat? Or is it molded ABS? I've used the gel-gloss and it works OK if it is done every 4-6 weeks. I'd like to try something better but have worried about doing more damage than good ... especially to the vinyl decals that already seem to peel at the edges. One of my most major complaints about the Montana is I spend more time trying to keep it looking as good as my partners with other brands. I would appreciate any suggestions.
RVTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RVTraveler

Is the front (and rear) end caps on all Montana's actually fiberglass with a gelcoat? Or is it molded ABS? I've used the gel-gloss and it works OK if it is done every 4-6 weeks. I'd like to try something better but have worried about doing more damage than good ... especially to the vinyl decals that already seem to peel at the edges. One of my most major complaints about the Montana is I spend more time trying to keep it looking as good as my partners with other brands. I would appreciate any suggestions.
What model and year do you have?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #10
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Paintpro99

I agree with SAndreasen on the liquid clay bar might work, myself I would first try Mothers MAG & ALUMINUM POLISH for all metals. It comes in a 5 oz jar. I have used it on plastic, paint, & aluminum wheels, works great. Whatever you do, just try one spot at a time, and check it out.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:

If your Montana is relatively new, it is gel coat. If you have the gel coat option, the rest of the rig is also gel coat (except for the doors and the area below the rubber bumper guard). I use Protect All which is designed to be used on everything including vinyl decals (gel coat, rubber, vinyl, glass, filon, aluminum, chrome, etc). The problem with many auto polishes/waxes is that they should not be used on anything but fiberglass, gel coat or chrome...not vinyl.

On edit...I put Protect All on the entire rig once a year (it stays covered when not in use), so far so good.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:36 AM   #12
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I am sorry to hear about your problems with the fiberglass scratches but you saved me a posting. I did a very similar thing to the side of my older Monty. The moths like to cling to the side of things like a house or in this case the Monty and leave a calling card that is very difficult to get off. I thought I was using a very soft scrubbing pad but it left some minor scuff marks that I now need to buff out. As usual I think I may have gotten some great answers on your post.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:34 AM   #13
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I just waxed my Montana with the Gel Gloss Rv cleaner and wax, bought at CW. While it was time consuming (9 hours for total job), it took care of the light oxidation and the black streaks. It was not hard to use, and the job went well.
Got it on sale at CW last week for $30 for a gallon. I've still got a third of it left, and would have had more, but dropped the small container of wax I was using twice and lost all the contents.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:58 PM   #14
RVTraveler

M.O.C. #8709
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Quote:

What model and year do you have?
Sorry to have taken so long to get back on this. My Montana is a 2004 2950RK. I believe they said the sides are filon but I do not believe I have gel coat anywhere. The sides look very nice. The back also looks pretty good but the front takes a lot of work. I've been using Gel-Gloss on it and it does help some. If I don't use something, the bugs are much harder to remove. I'm also having problems with the vinyl decals curling on the edges on the front only. I've been told this is a common problem and I can buy more decals. But I think I will paint the front eventually unless I hear that is not a good idea. Thanks for your help.
RVTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote