Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2007, 06:10 AM   #1
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
google map

I was looking for a good maping program for my MAC. Could not find one for purchase and was lamenting having to give up Delorme.

Then I found Google Map. My troubles are over. At least as long as I have access to online service.

illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Have you looked at "Google Earth", don't know if it works on the MAC. However be careful when using the directions, I have found a difference in the amount of time it says to get from one place to another between the directions on Google Earth left hand column and the printed out version from the lower window. But it is handy for doing big trips and doing a lot of what if's like stopping here vs there, as it will keep them for you during your session, or you can save them as you want.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:33 AM   #3
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I also look at Google Earth.
Google maps is located at:

http://maps.google.com/
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I have been unable to find a mapping program for my Mac. I am really disappointed that there are no user friendly programs. I use MapQuest. It is the next best thing to a good mapping program. I like it. I will also try Google Map.

Thanks for info.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I am very disappointed that they STILL have not come up with a good - or ANY - mapping program for the Mac. Up until 2005 I was a strict Mac user for about 18 years. Delorme did make a Mac compatible Street Atlas for a year or two (I think around 2000) then dropped it. Apple needs to come up with their own software...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:15 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
If your Mac is a newer one with an Intel processor, you can have Windows (XP or Vista) loaded on your hard drive. You can then run your Mac in either OS-X or windows mode. That way you can run any Windows program, like Streets & Trips, on your Mac. This may be why developers seem to have stopped producing Mac versions of some programs, you don't really need a special Mac version.

Google maps are excellent, but so far as I know, you can't link them to a GPS. Google Earth can be linked to a GPS, but although the images in some areas are great, other areas are not so great, and they are not really maps.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:10 AM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I realize I could run both platforms but I do NOT want any windows OS on my Mac. I got so tired of fighting the virus thing that I just don't want any vestige of it on my Mac. Just not worth it.

HamRad
Old 12-31-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have a Toshiba Satellite 45 laptop running windows. Just some MSOffice, Open Office, and Microsoft Streets and trips on it. I'll use it for general computer use including this forum. I'll use MS Streets and Trips 2008 for planning routes. Using the PC for just these items (but I do have Semantec System Works) I really don't care if it gets a virus, but in the 4 years I have had it I have not had any problem. If you are not familiar with MS Streets and Trips, take a look at it and especially the live search mode. You type in RV Park, or Campground and the pop up on the map and provide address and phone numbers. Makes for easy route planning.

I have the iMac-24 at the stick house, along with a PC running through a Lynksys router. All have Anti-virus software running and the Lynksys provides another layer of protection.

All I'm trying to say is that although the threat of viruses is real, the protection has increased to a level that affords very good protection, no matter which platform you are using. Just go with the convenience you need.

Edited: p.s., try this one also: http://maps.live.com/
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:47 AM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
HamRad,

We tend to agree with you about the MAC not having the problems with viruses and spyware/adware that PC's historically have owned.

We still use PC's because we like the ability to have software that supports our lifestyle. Mapping software is a very big part of our lifestyle.

For those people who do not own a MAC, the alternative is to be well protected with a good anti-virus program (about $30/year), a good spy-ware program (about $30/year) and the added protection of a router with a firewall (about $30). We have all of the above, and haven't had any problems for a number of years. With the proper protection, these threats appear to be non-existent.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:14 PM   #10
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Hamrad -

Another alternative would be to run both operating systems, but only use MAC when online. I know of people who have had viruses, but the new Vista operating system seems to be much less virus prone. I have been fortunate that I use two free spyware programs (spybot search and destroy and lavasoft's adaware - both free). My Internet provider provides antivirus software including email filtering for free (most do - Roadrunner uses CA, Comcast provided McAfee). And, I use Windows Firewall as well as the wireless router's firewall.

But, if you are running Mac O/S while online, you can't get a Windows Virus. Although, more and more viruses are targeting Apple.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Thanks for all the suggestions folks have posted regarding the Mac issue. I still have my PC and will use it for my mapping programs. We just won't use it to access the Internet. I have used all the anti virus programs mentioned and still ended up with virus problems. Sometimes it was the actual program that was causing the problem. Too much for too long! With new setup no problems!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

HamRad
Old 01-02-2008, 03:05 AM   #12
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
illapah, have you discovered the "street view" feature on Google Maps? They've filmed lots of streets in lots of cities and you can actually see a pretty recent street level view of an area. If available for that city, you'll see a tab "Street View" where you select satellite or map views. Any streets outlined in blue are available and you can drag the little man icon around also.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:16 PM   #13
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Try this Earthmate GPS LT-20 Deluxe DVD:
http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELi...7562§ion=10122

It says: "Macintosh
» Compatible with Intel-based Macintosh computers running Boot Camp for Windows XP" What ever that is.

We use this on our "PC" and like it a lot.

Good luck
Dick & Jackie

On edit take a look at this site: http://gpsinformation.net/
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #14
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rldriver
It says: "Macintosh
» Compatible with Intel-based Macintosh computers running Boot Camp for Windows XP" What ever that is.
That is how you run Windows XP on a Mac. You can run any Windows program on a Mac that way. We use it for Streets & Trips, and also for some embroidery design programs of Donna's that are only available for XP.

As HamRad rightly points out, this leaves you open to all the vulnerabilities of Windows if you use it to connect to the internet, but you should be OK if you just use Windows for running clean, brand name programs. Right now, I am connected to the internet using the Mac's Safari Browser. Windows is not active. There are ways to seamlessly run Windows and Mac together, that might be a riskier way to go.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote