Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2007, 03:23 PM   #1
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
Wiring for Roof Satellite System & Solar Panels

I know that some of you have run wires for your roof satellite system. We are interested in putting in a roof satellite system and solar panels. We are assuming the 07 Big Sky 340 and 3400 are basically the same floor plan. How did you wire from the roof to the storage compartment. We need to run wires from the solar panels on the roof to the batteries and from the plug in for the tv in the storage compartment to the roof. Or is there a better way of doing this. Are there wiring diagrams out there that would help us do this.

kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Come down in the bathroom wall, into the breaker box and fuse panel area, then down either the back wall, or between the wall panels in the W/D area.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:16 PM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Used refrigerator vent on ours. Does not slide out.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I have the 3400 like Ozz, and followed his lead. I had to run 2 cables for our dual LNB. Came straight down through the roof into the wiring cavity above the W/D, down the wall, under the steps to the furnace, down into the belly, through the entertainment ambilical cord, then up.

The worst part is once your in the entertainment slide. I had to fish the cables up the exterior wall and into the upper cabinet (between wood panels on bottom shelf). I took some photos you are welcome to look at here (scroll towards the bottom) http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...36&uid=6528899

We're using a dual tuner receiver in the living room, so both cables needed to be routed to the living room. The output for the bedroom is connected to the factory cable run between the living room and bedroom (jumper wire box). Works great.

Just a note on your solar panels. You can buy Dometic replacement covers for your Dometic ACs with solar panels built in. Still have to have a 12V connection at each AC direct to the battery, but looks like a clean install. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the rear AC solar panel reports status through the thermostat.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:38 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
WOW! I just visted bsmeaton's photo gallery above!! I'm VERY impressed and really appreciate your sharing the photos and info!!! It's folks like you who make the MOC sooooo GREAT - Thanks !!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:04 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks VanMan
Old 04-24-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
I want to thank everyone for their responses. OZ and Brad have all the answers. This subject is a little over my head, I just try to paraphrase what I think my partner John wants to know. So just bear with me..............

Brad, it was interesting looking at your pictures showing how you run the cables for the dual LNB. If the factory was to prewire the unit so that a dual LNB satellite system could be installed on the roof, would they prewire similiar to your installation. Would it be helpful to at least have the factory run a conduit from the basement to the roof and cap it off on the roof for ease in installing the cable and other wires.
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Hi Karen,

As far as the factory doing any custom work, I could not even get the generator switch relocated to the hallway instead of the closet. Not sure they are a "custom" manufacturer.

However, if they were willing, it would be a benefit to have two additional RG6 coax cables run from the entertainment cabinet to the electrical panel area above the W/D closet. That would save the majority of the install, and would leave you with only having to penetrate the roof. Getting from the roof to the belly was not that big of a project; it was getting up inside the entertainment slide.

It would be very difficult for the factory to keep up with the audio visual technology available out there and try to accommodate everyone. The majority of the folks use a tripod type dish, and would be upset if the satellite prep was on the roof! I think Keystone does pretty well trying to accomodate the majority. They did add a TV jack in the basement, driven I believe by the competition placing slide out TVs in there for under the awning.

Brad
Old 04-25-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Karen..Helen and I spent the day at T&C rv with Dave &Sheryl(Dsprik) who had their camper in for some work. had a long BS session with Bill, as usual, and your Big Sky came up, as you know it will be built soon and you will be pleasantly surprised when you see it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I placed the satellite dish, an MD500 between the bedroom vent and the air conditioner. I took the 12v lights down and also the vent. Ran the wire from roof to light to light to vent to behind electrical panel in bathroom. Then, went down the hallway wall (where the slideout switch, etc. are) and into the underbelly. From there to the entertainment umbilical cord, along the iron rail, then into the wall behind the fireplace. There is about a 6 inch void between the back of the fireplace wall and the outside wall. Then fished it to the cabinet above the TV.

Mounted the Nomad controller to the ceiling of the cabinet and did the same as Brad for the front TV (although I did add another cable to the basement - I have a 2006).

I used the RG6 with the ground wire in it for added strength during the flexing when the entertainment slide goes in and out.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote