Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #41
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We are very pleased with our air card and router. It allows both of us to be on internet at same time. At home we sometime have 3 computers on line. We cancelled our DSL because this air card works very well.
Aircard has unlimited time and we would surely run out of minutes if we used our cell phones. We also are big internet users.

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:38 PM   #42
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Glad to hear that your Sprint card is working for you, Dusty. We were also able to discontinue our dial-up at the stick house and we now use the aircard at the house and on the road. Works great!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:21 AM   #43
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Yes we love it!!! Don't know why we didn't do this long time ago.

We had DSL at home from Qwest and the phones in computer room never worked right after they installed the DSL. Couldn't hear anything on them. Tried filters, different phones and etc. Since I cancelled the DSL, phones work fine now.
This phone data card is as fast as the DSL.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #44
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
our verizon broadband is not as fast as our DSL here at home..we have slow DSL 1.5 Mhz. We did away with our landline but kept our ISP and DSL and the cost is about 16.00 per month. We use the verizon aircard and router on all the laptops but the desk tops are still on DSL. The verizon Broad band runs about 1/2 the speed of the DSL.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:44 PM   #45
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Try this link to test your speed. testmy.net
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:52 PM   #46
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are a ton of speed test around..these are easy to use. http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
Old 05-09-2007, 03:00 PM   #47
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Native Tex

We have one of the newer Verizon Air Broad band cards and it works very well. We do not run the Venturi option either. We tried it, but it seemed to bogg down our machine. Turned it off and the machine was vastly faster.
O.V., which card and router do you have?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:08 PM   #48
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

Well I will have to add one more little glitch that has come up with my Verizon card. I have been using the card for just about 2 years now and just love it. I did not have any trouble in big cities. In fact there were few places that I had any kind of trouble while Bill's Cingular card was very spotty. I finally ordered the router so we could both use the Verizon card in our computers only to have my computer die on me on Jan 29th. I had to buy a new 'puter on Jan 30th and they now come with Microsoft Vista instead of XP. My Verizon is the wider card that does not fit into my new computer. I need the express card instead. My router has the wide slot and the express card does not fit in that. Bill has canceled his Cingular card so if I don't go thru the router he will not have access. The Express Card is not yet updated to work with Windows Vista. Verizon has a USB stick card that is for the Vista but not compatible with the router. They are all very expensive but next week I will be eligible for an upgrade with a new two year contract. This will still cost a lot of money.

Here is my possible salutions........
1- Next week I can go through the router company and order an express card from Verizon with a new two year contract and hope that it will have the upgrade that works with Vista. Then I will have to get an adapter that fits into the router to accommodate the new express card which will cost me another $60.00 plus $169.00 for the Verizon card. ( I will get a $50.00 rebate ) but still have to put out another couple hundred $$$.

2- I can buy the USB stick that I know works with Vista and hope that they have updated the router so it is compatible with the stick and will pay way more for the stick from Verizon but not have to pay any extra for the KR-1I know that things will work out in time but my advise to any of you right now is don't get a new computer with Vista until they have worked out all of these bugs. It is sooooooo frustrating.

Helen
Helen, you could buy xp home and install it to replace vista but I don't know how your computer manufacturer would deal with any warranty issues.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:12 PM   #49
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Just an fyi after reading some of this thread. The new (in March) Verizon V740 express card will work in the KR1 with the express to pcmcia adapter available from antenna booster / 3gstore. However, the KR1 cannot run the V740 at full speed. The Top Global MB6000 Phoebus router gets full speed out of it but that's not a good option for those already having the kr1. The Phoebus also accepts only pcmcia so the adapter is necessary for the vr70 express card in either router. Vicki's laptop has both pcmcia and express slots. Mine has just pcmcia but the adapter would allow the v740 to work in my machine, too. I'll probably never use it in mine. In the house we use the router. While on the road, Vicki would use the card in her laptop but I'm too busy driving. The V740 and Phoebus are excellent. But our experience is, so far, based on just one location and two days of usage.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:02 PM   #50
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We've not had any luck running Venturi. We just put the card in the router, click on Firefox and we're off and running.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #51
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Regarding the Top Global MB6000, I just got off the phone with 3G Store. They recommend that I wait till the end of May when the MB6800 will be available which is an upgrade of the MB6000 and instead of the 7x7 inch pyramid shape it will be a rectagular shaped 7.5" wide, 5.5" deep an only 1" tall.

The MB6000 is $299 and the MG6800 will be $50 more.

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/1947/64/

Jo-Anna

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #52
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
wow, you folks sure are having a lively discussion over here about EVDO, aren't ya!

let me introduce myself... my name is alex and i work as an EVDO consultant for 3Gstore.com / EVDOinfo.com

if any of you feel like having a discussion with me about EVDO, feel free to PM or catch me on AOL IM as EVDOalex

sreigle, i should add to your post about the v740 and KR1 that, with the latest RK1010 firmware, the v740 no longer works at all with the KR1 and it doesn't look like it will ever be supported now.
Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:42 PM   #53
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Alex, are you the Alex I spoke with at 3gstore this past Monday? If so, I appreciate all the help and straightforward answers to my questions.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #54
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
By the way 3Gstore.com is the former Booster antenna.com where many of us purchased our air cards. Had a chance today to use our KCP650 Omni Directional antenna for the very first time. We are at a C.G in Southern Ohio and our Verizon broadbband signal was very weak and would drop out. Stuck it on the top rung of the 3400 ladder and it pulled in a very good signal that I am using as we speak..Anyhow the antenna lives up to its PR.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:27 PM   #55
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Alex, are you the Alex I spoke with at 3gstore this past Monday? If so, I appreciate all the help and straightforward answers to my questions.
i am that alex, yes... and you are most welcome!

i gotta tell you... its a lot of fun helping out RVers!

one day soon i hope my Mazda MPV grows to 40+ ft
so i can join you folks out on the open road!
Old 05-11-2007, 01:53 AM   #56
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Well EVDOalex, what do you think I can do to correct my problem? I am using Verizon v620 in the KR1 now but it doesn't fit in my computer. See my original post. And thanks for any help you can give me.

Helen

Quote:
quote:quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by adelmoll

Well I will have to add one more little glitch that has come up with my Verizon card. I have been using the card for just about 2 years now and just love it. I did not have any trouble in big cities. In fact there were few places that I had any kind of trouble while Bill's Cingular card was very spotty. I finally ordered the router so we could both use the Verizon card in our computers only to have my computer die on me on Jan 29th. I had to buy a new 'puter on Jan 30th and they now come with Microsoft Vista instead of XP. My Verizon is the wider card that does not fit into my new computer. I need the express card instead. My router has the wide slot and the express card does not fit in that. Bill has canceled his Cingular card so if I don't go thru the router he will not have access. The Express Card is not yet updated to work with Windows Vista. Verizon has a USB stick card that is for the Vista but not compatible with the router. They are all very expensive but next week I will be eligible for an upgrade with a new two year contract. This will still cost a lot of money.

Here is my possible salutions........
1- Next week I can go through the router company and order an express card from Verizon with a new two year contract and hope that it will have the upgrade that works with Vista. Then I will have to get an adapter that fits into the router to accommodate the new express card which will cost me another $60.00 plus $169.00 for the Verizon card. ( I will get a $50.00 rebate ) but still have to put out another couple hundred $$$.

2- I can buy the USB stick that I know works with Vista and hope that they have updated the router so it is compatible with the stick and will pay way more for the stick from Verizon but not have to pay any extra for the KR-1I know that things will work out in time but my advise to any of you right now is don't get a new computer with Vista until they have worked out all of these bugs. It is sooooooo frustrating.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:31 AM   #57
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Alex, we love having verifiable experts on this forum especially one who knows about our aircards. We love our aircards! Welcome to the forum!
Old 05-11-2007, 01:29 PM   #58
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
judy, thanks for the welcome!

helen, check for PM
Old 05-11-2007, 01:56 PM   #59
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Alex, you have to share the solution to Helen's problem (er, at least the one she related in her post above LOL) with all of us as we are curious. We'll work on her other problems later. Love you, Helen!
Old 05-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #60
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard, Alex. Be prepared for lots of questions...

Anyone used this "booster antenna" and how does it compare to the external antenna Rich mentioned, as far as performance.

The above is what we have. Two suction cups mount it to a window. By the way, Alex, on a hot day those suction cups come unglued from the antenna and the antenna falls. The cups stay on the window. I guess I need to get some gorilla glue?