Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2006, 03:02 PM   #21
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

[size=3][font=Comic Sans MS]Thanks again for feedback

We are looking at a two fold problem, but of course, regular cell service and then possible aircard/internet service.

Recently we discovered that Sprint is covering the house. So, we have a Sprint number now, so that we can get calls here in the house.
If you can get a Sprint signal, then I think you can get the same set-up as Judy, Glenn, and others, have through Verizon. Check out this link: http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...byProduct.html

From what I have read, Sprint has been playing "catch-up" with Verizon, and has now surpassed Verizon in coverage. (All this is what I have read, I don't have any real first hand knowledge).

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:09 PM   #22
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Carol, we should have stopped by last summer when we were in Michigan to test our Verizon aircard. Ain't hindsight great! Do you have any friends with a Verizon aircard? Have you tried an exterior antenna on a cell phone?
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:28 PM   #23
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Judy,

No, don't know anyone who lives close who has a Verizon card, you want to loan me yours?? HA HA, if so, ship it up here! HA HA

We did borrow a Sprint air card, and we were able to get on the net and surf. We had some small delays in loading web pages, etc. But, we have the same with our "love to hate it" direcway.

We have not tried an external antenna. Believe me, we have horrid Verizon out here, and people always want to know why we have it if we cannot use it here. Well, cause mostly we wanted it for travel, and we have had pretty good results that way, and I have been able to use the phone as a modem for a number of years and get my email while on the road, slow, painful, but I can get it. I was in Tecumseh the other day, and the signal was so bad that the phone went into some kind of suspend to save power!

Sprint is quite good out here, we have not dropped one call in about one month of use.

My son's house in Ann Arbor, never could get a call out with Verizon, no trouble with Sprint. My son lives in a heavily populated area, that is deep in Verizon customers, so it is a bit bizarre, but there ya go, we are talking computers and electronics here! HA HA

So, for now, we have 2 cell providers, and direcway. Soon, we hope that Verizon will come out here and grab some towers, and then we will consider a air card and dump direcway, and it will not be missed.

I can show Verizon a great tower for a cell transmitter. Not 2 miles from here as the crow flies, some farmer has been getting paid rent on that thing for well over 6 years, and there is not ONE transmitter on it! The most amazing thing! Gotta love living in the Hills!

Anyway Judy, I will be looking for a package in the mail in the next day or so! Thanks for lending me

OHHHH NOOOOO!! Ok. Oh, well, I tried!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:18 AM   #24
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
NOOOOOOOO!!!!! is your correct response, Carol. Even though I would wish everyone could have a new Verizon aircard for Christmas, I'm going to be very selfish with mine. We enjoy it SO MUCH! It's great to not have to worry about that connection. And it makes the miles and minutes go by so fast when we're traveling And we're just four days away from hitting the road again. Yeah! Greta will be so happy!
Old 12-22-2006, 01:58 AM   #25
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Judy,

Sorry to hear ya cannot share!

Sounds like there are gonna be a LOT of Montana, Mountaineer, Cambridge and Big Skys on the road about the 26th or 27th! God willing, Tana and Big Butt will be amongst them!

Safe rides Judy! Greta, bark loud sweetie, thank mommie and daddy for taking ya away from that ole stickbuilt!
Old 12-22-2006, 02:13 AM   #26
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Greta is truly addicted to her truck and trailer. She's just let's us travel with her. Poor thing had to spend the weekend with the 'communists' who board dogs (actually they're very nice!) and when she got home, she headed straight for the trailer. Her security blanket. She's ever ready to go and already knows that we're packing.

Merry Christmas and safe travels to all who will be on the road during the holidays.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:03 AM   #27
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Judy, our 4 have known for days we are "gathering and staging". If we had suitcases they would be sitting in them so they cannot be left behind! Gallagher is on ulcer meds, he gets too intense and excited!
Old 12-31-2006, 11:19 AM   #28
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Carol,
We have sprint. And have been very happy with it. We had Verizon for many years and then no signal where we live. After many calls to them and checks to our area they would come back as no service area. It worked fine for many years! I found on my own that they were useing someone's tower out here and didn't renew with that tower. So we went with Sprint and have very good coverage at home and most all places. There is an area through Kansas that doesn't work. But Verizon also didn't work there.
The reason I know that Verizon didn't use that tower any longer was...... When we would call someone from home our unblocked number would show up as a 970 number or something weird. When useing it anywhere else our cell phone number would show up on caller IDs as normal after we unblocked our numbers.
We can call anywhere on weekends for free. Doesn't use our minutes on weekends. Also can call another Sprint user and no minutes used either.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:16 AM   #29
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I am travelling using my phone tethered to my Cingular phone via a bluetooth conection. Useing Laptop Connect connection speed is almost always at 115.2 KBPS. But depending where I am and signal strength as to how fast it will transfer data. Amarillo TX. was fast, Seligman Az. was very slow, Vegas was OK, Victorville Ca. was slow but better than Seligman, San Dimas Ca. was fast, Desert Hot Springs Ca. was Ok but on the slow side and now here in Tombstone Az is suprisingly fast.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:46 PM   #30
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
The home phone number was ported to the Sprint phone, completed this AM, finally after waiting for 7 days.

ANYWAY, so far, we are doing pretty good with it, Al dropped one call in the middle of nowhere Texas today.

and onward we go.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:52 PM   #31
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
The home phone number was ported to the Sprint phone, completed this AM, finally after waiting for 7 days.

ANYWAY, so far, we are doing pretty good with it, Al dropped one call in the middle of nowhere Texas today.

and onward we go.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:41 PM   #32
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Our aircard hasn't worked all day from far west of Fort Worth, almost to El Paso. Of course, we were up around Carlsbad Cavern and then drove to El Paso through an extremely desolate area. Things seem to be working again here in El Paso.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:42 AM   #33
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Our Verizon aircard is working great here in Benson, AZ even with the light rain that is falling. We didn't have any reception along Rt. 62 out of Carlsbad, NM but nobody, NOBODY lives on that road. We didn't even have cell phone reception.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:44 AM   #34
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Judy--glad to hear that your Verizon air card is working well for you now that you are out in Arizona.

I wanted to followup on the info the Ontman offerred earlier in this thread about the difference in digital technologies used by Cingular vs. Verizon and Sprint. For those using air cards for internet access, does your experience match John's comment that Sprint and Verizon should give better digital internet service than Cingular does? Any differences to report in the internet service you get from Verizon vs. Sprint?

And for those using routers with their air cards so that they can operate more than one computer in their rig, anyone getting good results with something other than the KR1 that several people use, or is the KR1 the consensus choice? Also, can the KR1 use, or benefit from, any type of booster antenna if you find yourself in an area of weak or intermittent signal strength?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:32 AM   #35
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We are happy to report that both of our phones, Verizon and Sprint are working great here just 1/2 mile or so north of Mexico. Verizon is even better than last year, when I dropped calls on it. 4 full bars!
Old 01-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #36
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We were using both Verizon and Cingular air cards. Cingular was bad. We couldn't use it more than 50% of the places we were. Verizon has worked great at least 95% of the time and we have been in some very desolate places. We dropped our Cingular after getting the K-1 router and both use the Verizon now. When we told Cingular how awful their card was they didn't charge the early cancellation fees.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:36 PM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Verizon is at the top of the technological heap right now. Competition is fierce and there is no telling who may pass who next month. We have the verizon setup but only took a 1 year contract.. We have Cingular cell service so we will let the competition go on and see who is at the top of the heap next year. Take a look at www.boster-antenna.com there are some very good comparisons there. Our cingular cell service has worked well everywhere..Our Verizon aircard has worked everywhere but here in Havasu City and a few places in Az and NM where nothing worked.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #38
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Rich, your link inop, maybe another o in boster???
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:23 PM   #39
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Yes, it should be booster-antenna.com David, I have a booster antenna for our KPC650 that goes in the router. Booster-Antenna has 2 or 3 forums where you can get your questions answered.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:42 AM   #40
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I need to update my post. I reported 115.2 kbps. That was before I noticed the max speed setting at 115K. I maxed it out and now connected at 921.6 KBPS. This is at the stick house with bad weather and only about half signal. All need to check connection speed. Default is 115 K.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote