Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2006, 06:43 AM   #1
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Near Lake Martin, AL ??

Wondering if anyone has stayed near Lake Martin Alabama at
Lakeway Campground ?
Or Wind Creek State Park ?

We're going to take a ride over that way this Saturday to check it all out, but would like some input before then if anyone has stayed there before. Thanks.

Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:57 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Wind Creek State Park is about 35 miles or less from our stick house and it is one of our favorite places to stay. You're never far from the lake there and many of the sites are right on the water with a shoreline where you can drive up and park a boat, which makes it an awesome place for boating, water sports, and camping. Not all sites have full hookups but many do. It has great walking trails, a beach, playground, and is a lovely park. Alexander City, AL is nearby for supplies. I hope we get to stay there in the near future.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:32 AM   #3
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Thanks Judy! I had a feeling you guys would have been there! Glad to hear the good report. Sounds like a place we could meet up.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:04 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
It sure is, Lisa, and we'd have a great time camping there, too, but don't tell anyone. They only have 600+ sites! It's the largest state park campground in the USA, I believe.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Judy, That state park is the biggest in the US! We got to go over there Sunday morning. Beautiful drive. Too easy. We only made 2 turns to get there from our house and was about 65 miles! We couldn't imagine pulling the Monty in there though. Everyone is really swished in. I guess we have gotten spoiled so far with big pull through sites! Y'all have a Dodge dualy too and we were wondering how you got through. I guess experience has alot to do with it! But the tree branches were so low that in quite a few places, they almost hit the roof of the truck. Everyones roof had to hit the branches on the way out. We'd prefer a smaller place to stay I guess. I left my printouts from the computer at work on Friday and I couldn't remember the name or location of the other campground I mentioned above! So, this morning when I got to the store, looked and found out that we probably passed it and didn't even know it! LOL

Lisa
2006 3000RK
Old 07-31-2006, 12:00 PM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Wow, seems like they need to do some tree trimming. It hasn't been that way in the past. Our rig is over 37 feet but we didn't think it was that hard to get in the sites. True, there are pullthroughs but the backins were okay. Sorry you didn't like it. The lake is beautiful. We're hoping to get over there in Oct. with our boat.

Judy
http://spaces.msn.com/bamatravelers/
http://bamatravelers.blogspot.com
Traveling with Glen and Greta in our 2004 Dodge dually and Montana 3380 RL

Old 08-01-2006, 03:40 AM   #7
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Judy, We were talking last night and were thinking that since it had rained alot before we got there, that maybe the weight of the water was making the branches lower than normal. And we also were there when everyone was hooking up and leaving and it was pretty full, so I think it just seemed really tight. It is definately beautiful there. We went over and climbed that tower. Well, Dano did, I chickened out about half way up! LOL Let us know when you go and we'll probably meet you there. If Dano can back our Monty down OUR driveway to the lake and turn it around, he can back in there easy!

Lisa
2006 3000RK