Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
50A Cord Storage

Is it too much to ask to add a storage compartment near the rear of the units to store that (*&*&^*$Q)#&Q 50A cord! Although I appreciate the power it can supply, I HATE the idea of having to lug it to the truck to carry it (by the way, the plastic clothes basket supplied to carry it is a cheap joke & take up too much room). Most of us old goats are to feeble to lug that thing around.

Most other units in this price range have storage compartments in the rear for just this purpose. I'll be looking closer the next time I buy...

worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I'm 74 and don't have a problem with the 50 Amp cable. I store it in the front end in the battery area. I've heard a lot of people say they wish that the cord was smaller and so do I. But we live with what we have. I usually connect to the 30 amp power when at RV parks and not dry camping. But if 50 amp power is available, I use it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:39 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
As we have posted before, we only use when we are set up for long term stay, like 2 weeks to 3 months. And usually only in Texas. Many other campgrounds either don't have 50 or charge for it. We can manage just fine with the 30, no doubt the 50 is easier to live with, but the 30 does the job. The 50 Amp cord is stored under our bed, around the outside of that storage area, still room for many other things and since we only carry out once a year, maybe twice, and back in that much, it works for us. Does not take up basement area, we are not moving it around to get at something else and it is there is we really want to haul it out. But, as usual, ya gotta find a solution that works for you! Good luck! Enjoy that Montana
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We only carry the 50 amp cord with us. We did replace the original clothes basket (the hot Hemet sun did it in) when it fell apart with a square clothes basket. We carry various adapters. I (Sue) can pick up the basket with the 50 amp cord. We had a 5th wheel that you had to stuff the whole cord into a compartment and we hated it. We like the Montana way much better.
Happy trails...............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:50 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We solved our problem with the 50 amp cord. We leave it in Texas.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:58 AM   #6
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Must be one long cord Bill?

Sometimes I roll the 50Amp cord into a 5 gal bucket and place it in the back of the TV. It is hard to do when it is cold as it doesn't want to bend as easy. I use the 50Amp most of the time and keep the 30 amp in the storage with the H2o hoses. Use the 30 once in a while but mainly for an extension if the 50 Amp is not long enough. Only had a couple spots that I couldn't reach the service panel with the 50 but it was a life saver to have the extra 30.

Yes the 50 is heavy and hard to handle and if you don't have the second a/c unit you probably don't need it BUT, I am stubborn and expect my new Montana (in a few years) will have a need for the 50 amp cord so I am getting in shape for that time.

Just had a thought (and that doesn't happen much these days), wonder if we can come up with a way to roll it up on the ladder like a garden hose bracket? That might be too heavy though and cause a problem. Sure wouldn't want it to come unrolled going down the highway. OK, here's another thought. How about some kind of tray between the frame under the rear behind the spare tire? It could be fairly light with a wire mesh bottom so it wouldn't catch dirt etc. I will look into that idea and let you know what I find.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:20 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Carry the 50amp cord in a basket in the truck..It is heavy but Helen can handle it..use the 30amp cord most of the time. Had the compartment that the 30amp cord stuffed into on our TT and I cursed that thing everytime I stuffed it in there..what a knuckle buster.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:36 AM   #8
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
We lug the 50amp around and use it all the time. We are like drhowell, and carry the 30 amp extension cord just in case we get somewhere that the 50 amp wont reach. I have been at a few parks where we could run both A/C's on 30 amps as long as we didn't have anything else on. But we tend to use the 50 so we can run the fridge and H20 heater on electric while still cranking up both A/C's to cool the trailer down.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:37 AM   #9
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I agree about the stuffing of the cord! I did some upgrading on my old TT and had to open the cabinet that the cord stowed in to install the Gen/dockside converter. I couldn't believe what I saw. That cord was just laying around in there with other wires and objects that it could catch on. If it had laid just right and I gave it a tug trying to pull it out I may have created a much larger problem. Short, fire or whatever.

A friend bought a used Celebrity and the cord stow was in the back center. It went into a small built in lamp table between the two recliners. Someone had a problem, removed the table and did a lot of damage trying to reinstall it. Bad deal!

I will stick with the bucket or basket trick and consider myself lucky that I can have the connections out where I can see them. Not hidden behind some panel.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:30 AM   #10
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Guess I need to clarify a few things:

First of all, I meant for Keystone to leave the 50A as a detacheable cord, not one that is permanently connected in a box that you have to shove thru a hole,

Second, if they supply it (& I paid for it) I wanna use it but not lug it. Why not a compartment in the rear like the one for the sewer hose. What's the big deal with adding another compartment?

Third, I carry enough crap in the back of my short bed TV, w/o having to throw a laundry basket with a 30lb. cord in there too; Ditto for my storage compartments (basement & front).

Lastly, this is a personal complaint to Keystone & I've heard the same from many other owners of Montanas. I may not be 74, but I am 60 & tired of lugging that thing around to the TV...
Take a look at what Carriage has done with the rear of their rigs, as well as MANY others in this price range.
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:33 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When that thing gets to heavy for Helen to lug around I will lodge a formal complaint with Keystone.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:53 PM   #12
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
I used to use the plastic laundry basket to roll mine into. Yeah. It was tough to do when it was cold. Presently, I can barely recall anything under 75 degrees, though! Wish I could see something below 70 again.

Anyway, after doing that for a while, and then getting the room in the basement that used to go it used up by more of the stuff we continue to carry around, I’ve taken to rolling it into a yard-wide roll, tie it with those flexible cable ties, and lay it in the Monty, in front of the drawer under the fridge. One reason is to keep that drawer from opening up while we’re on the road. The second is to make it easily available when we stop. Since it’s the first thing I do, (plug in power,) it’s out the door before the slides are even opened up.

It’s a hassle. Sure. But I don’t carry a 30-Amp cable. I have the adapters and a 20-Amp cable for ever-so-short stops when it’s too cold to have to cope with rolling up the heavy cord.

I’m guessing that an industrious person could make a nice molded plastic container that’d screw up to the bottom of the rear of the Monty to store that cable in. S9imilar to the round pieces of plastic pipe people use for storing more elongated stuff like fishing poles and sewer hose.

It would be nice to have a convenient place to store it. But it’s no deal breaker for me. I’m guessing that most other fiver owners have much the same trouble with theirs.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:33 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
After reading this thread and others concerning the rigged 50AMP cord I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I bought the 2004 2955RL and that was the last year Keystone built that rig for 30AMP service. The following year they added the W/D and 2nd AC option and with that changed the rig to 50AMP. As we don't want a W/D and I'm not so sure about the need for a second AC I guess when the time comes to trade up I will be hanging on to all my 30AMP cords.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote