Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2007, 03:33 AM   #1
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
WiFi Security

I have been in the habit of using wifi connections when on the road. I had no idea the security was as bad as it is. It seems anyone with a bit of techy help can look in on your data, grab account numbers and passwords, and all kinds of personal stuff. There are two articles in MSN today that describe the problem. Here is one.

http://tech.msn.com/security/article...96577&GT1=9332

The security is so bad and people are so cavalier about these connections that the RSA posts a list of "sheep" at the entrance to its conferences. The sheep are thos laptops whose sign in and pass word were sniffed at the conference. Scarry.

One of the security hints in this article is to Never ever access your bank account aor anyother account that uses a password while connected to a wifi network unloess it is in your home and encrypted.
Dave

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:43 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This is true...First of all any good hacker intent on stealing your data is going to be able to do it. What makes you think that your banking data is safe in your banks computer system. Did you know that a Tech Rep in Say India can take complete control of your computer to trouble shoot a problem and have access to ALL the data on your PC and when he is finished the program remains on your computer. If you have a dell PC and you have used Dell Tech Support look for the program "dell connect" You are wide open to any hacker that knows how to use that program(remove it)and there are many like it around. If you have a HP PC the program is called "remote assistance" If you are a wifi hot spot and you are a "unsecured Network" you are walking around with all your data hanging out. My wifi is Security enabled and requires a 14 digit network key to gain access.. and that applies wherever we are. We will never be completely safe just as no matter how many securiy syetems we put on our car..the dedicated educated thief will steal it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Any time a signal passes through air, anyone with the equipment and knowledge could grab it. All the pages I use for financial transactions are encrypted, but those with the know how can break that. It's a risk I accept as I figure it will be rare there will be someone in an rv park or very closeby who are going to try to grab my data. There are too many bigger fish to catch out there. Bit it is a risk.

As for breaking into my system, wifi isn't really much more susceptible than any other access method. They still have to get into the system. And that's why I use a strong firewall. Whether wifi, dsl, cable or dialup, the risk is there. So far we've had no problems although my zonealarm firewall does catch quite a few of those attempts. Same as when we had a stick home and had cable internet. Then, however, I had a hardware firewall. For anyone wanting a software firewall, ZoneAlarm is free and comes very highly recommended by Steve Gibson, a major firewall guru. You can even test your system to see how open it is, at his site. The url, last time I checked, was www.grc.com . And the test was "test my shields." I've not been to that site for a long time so cannot vouch for all of that still being there.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I agree with Steve on the Zone alarm fire wall although it may show up as a virus on some virus checker programs..
Old 04-07-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I understand what you guys are saying and have always used encryption and a firewall plus we are on apple which has been less interesting to most hackers. And, I have never been tempted to use an on-line trouble shooting service except where they are talking me through a problem and we are not connected.

The reason for my post is to warn about the extra vulnerability of free wifi sites as indicated in the article.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would agree that using a free wifi access is not a real smart idea. I saw many Rv'ers doing that on our trip i suppose thinking they were getting away without paying for a service but were putting them selves at huge risk. This is exactly where a data thief would hang out looking for easy marks. I would suggest going to a local library were you can get secure access for free for 10 days. You might even note that many C'G's that have "free" open access wifi for the campers will also have another one for the office that is a secure connection..Why is that I wonder???? I will never use a Cg's wifi unless it is a secure network.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, you're talking about unauthorized free access to wifi rather than the free wifi offered by many rv parks, right? Just wanted to clarify.

Dave, sorry, I misunderstood your intent. Your points are valid.

In nearly all the parks with free unsecured wifi we have used do not have a strong enough signal to get outside the park, or not very far. We've had no problems, so far, and I always make sure my firewall is running and any financial transactions are encrypted. Beyond that there's not any more risk than sitting in a stick house since I don't really think there's likely to be anyone sitting around the fringe of an rv park looking to steal my information. And if they are, they have to get through my firewall. But this is one of those things each has to go with his own level of comfort.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:02 PM   #8
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Steve,

Thanks for the link above. I went to the Shields-UP! portion and received a good report back on my system with no security breeches. I had used this toll previously, but lost the link.

I do use my laptop on open WIFIs and did so this past week in Pigeon Forge at the Eagles Nest Campground. My banking and other financial transactions are encrypted as designated by the lock in the task bar. While no security is perfect I am comfortable with the level of security encryption provides and will have to depend on financial institutions to do the right thing if there is a breech of security. All I can do is take "reasonable steps" to protect the data.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:35 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have seen 2 kinds of 'Free" access at C.G's/ One will read "unsecured network" meaning anyone within range of the antenna can get access. The other being "secured network" which means the C.G will provide you a access code to get into the system. With a unsecured network we are always at risk firewalls not with standing. I have seen cars/trucks parked outside the walls of C.G's using the C.G's unsecured wifi..they could just as well have been a experienced hacker into our bank account. A good firewall as Steve mentioned will make it more difficult and the data thief will pass that up for a more easy mark. The folks that are trying to sell us "protection" IMO in many cases overstate the severity of the problem and we the user in most cases have no clue that there is a problem..Once the user become educated in the issue each of us will develop their own comfort level.We chose to become our own 'Hot spot" we use a air cars and router where we can become a "secure network" that means you need a network key (password to enter). we use firewalls and proper encryption. We NEVER use a C.G's system..We never drive around looking for a open wifi to pirate into. Consider that a Data thief may be behind that open network and once you pirate in..your data belongs to him....It does happen every day.We will never be fool proof but with a bit of education and homework we can make it very difficult for the bad guy to get us.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #10
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
A person with sufficient skill to penetrate a firewall is called a firewalker. With the skill and certain tools (hardware and software), just about any firewall can be penetrated.

Practically, however, I think the WEP or WPA security (provided in most routers), is sufficient to keep intruders out. I agree that CG wifi is not advised.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:24 AM   #11
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
When I was on vacation, some of the CG has free WiFi (one of them being the Eagles Roost in GA), but I still used my air card. My friend traveling with me asked why I would do that when I can use the other for free. I told her about the higher security risk, especially when it involves banking. Up here at the CG I stay at in the summer, WiFi is available for a price, and you have to plug your laptop in at the office so they can type information into it in order to get hooked up. I'm thrilled that my air card is also working up here. Totally shocked, but pleased. I feel much safer this way.

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:46 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Hackers can get into almost any system. We all take a risk, whether you use WiFi, AirCard, landlines, even with some of the firewalls. I take my chances with WiFi since I do have what I believe is an excellent firewall. It notifies me anytime there is something amiss.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote