Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2006, 05:01 AM   #1
Yank
Established Member

M.O.C. #5127
Air Conditioner!!!

Hi to all...we have a 329RLS Mountaineer. We have a 50 amp service and a 15,000 BTU A/C with Quick Cool. I don't see anything prewired for a second AC.
My questions are as follows:
The last 2 times we were out in the 5er and it was humid and hot it was all the one AC could do was just keep up. There doesn't even seem to be be much water coming out os the AC on the roof of the trailer. I was just wondering if this was normal as the 5er is fairly large with lots of windows. We even keep the shades down.
Looking forward to your comments....Al

Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:15 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
When it is humid, I would expect a fair amount of moisture to be pulled out of the unit.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:33 AM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Make sure the fan speed is on high. The Duo-Therm A/C's will freeze up if run on low speed for extended periods.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:06 AM   #4
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Yank,
When Dano & I were down in Florida a couple of weeks ago, we used our AC for the 1st time in our 3000RK. We also have the 50 amp but do not have the second AC. It was pretty hot and it ran most of the time to keep up. Dano thought it should be ice cold inside, but I thought it was very comfortable. Our water was steady dripping off the roof though, so maybe it's something to check out on yours.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:08 AM   #5
Yank
Established Member

M.O.C. #5127
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Charlie

Make sure the fan speed is on high. The Duo-Therm A/C's will freeze up if run on low speed for extended periods.
I Charlie...thanks for the info...Al
Old 06-05-2006, 06:10 AM   #6
Yank
Established Member

M.O.C. #5127
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wifeofdano

Yank,
When Dano & I were down in Florida a couple of weeks ago, we used our AC for the 1st time in our 3000RK. We also have the 50 amp but do not have the second AC. It was pretty hot and it ran most of the time to keep up. Dano thought it should be ice cold inside, but I thought it was very comfortable. Our water was steady dripping off the roof though, so maybe it's something to check out on yours.
Thanks for the info Lisa...Al
Old 06-05-2006, 01:16 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
How Hot was it...Our single 15k A/C in our 3400 did a good job in our 3400 in 95 degree+ and very high Humidity last week..Water should be pouring off you roof.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:30 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rich, thought you had two A/Cs? Maybe you only ran the main?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:54 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yea we got two but only ran the main to see how well it cooled the camper..It did a outstanding job another thing that exceeded expectations..We did not think one would do the job. The bedroom air froze us out..way to cold up there ..Glad we got the 2nd A/C..but you know what ..think we could have got along without it????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:59 PM   #10
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We were up in Erie Pa last week about 90 and humid I noticed temp inside climing no water runnning off the roof that is a sure sign it is frozen up. Turned of let fan run only within a minute water was running of roof.Waited about 10 min turned back on and switched fan to high no problem.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:32 PM   #11
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Yank,

We just went through the same situation, (we have the same A/C,) last week. We had over 95 degrees and probably humidity to match.

Thanks to help from fellow MOC posters, my personal solution proved to be to shut off A/C’s main power breaker, (and I probably would have pulled the A/C’s DC power fuse if I could only read the scribbles under the fuses,) take the cover off the air inlet at the ceiling A/C panel, undo and redo the connections to the control box in that inlet, and tighten all the wire nuts running from the control box.

To give it a “shotgun blast,” (that wasn’t apparently necessary for us,) you might also unscrew the thermostat from the wall, and unplug and re-plug the phone wire-looking connector behind it, too.

Then, turn power back on and try the A/C again.

Hearing from others, it’s highly possible that an A/C will only chill the air some 20 degrees below ambient temperature. Ours has been doing that since the above was done. But before that, for a few days, it had only been blowing whatever room air temperature was.

We have the remote thermostat, so if there’s a detected freeze-up in ours, the green A/C LED Indicator would be blinking. If you don’t have any indication that’d warn you of that, then running it at high speed, as mentioned, is the best solution to that.

As those Duo-Therm Quick Cool units leave the factory, they have no way of having coolant added to them. But they do have a three-year warranty, and an additional three years can be bought on their website for about $130. (If you haven’t registered your unit yet, it’d be a good time to get its serial number in their system, because you’ll need it written down to prove you’re covered, and a print-out of your registration will suffice.)

The Duo-Therm/Dometic website is at: http://dometicusa.com/

I hope you won’t have to get it serviced. It may mean a trip to a shop.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:34 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have pretty much the same problem. 94 here yesterday and the inside temp hovered around 80 during the hottest part of the day (thermostat set at 74). And we put foamboard between windows and shades on the sunny side to help keep out some of the heat. That's something you can do that's quick and easy to install when and where needed. Slide it under the couch when not in use. It does help although not enough. Our AC did a bit better when new. It's almost 4 years old now.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote