Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2005, 09:53 AM   #21
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
We bought a set of Michelins (6 tires) at Sam's Club (aka Wally World) because they had the best price (cheap in me came out). I went in for a re-balance and they broke one of our mirrors. They tried to deny they did it but with some discussion the manager told me to go buy one and bring in the bill--yeah right!!! Finally got him to sign the bill and they did pay. WOW cost them $110!!

tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 04:03 PM   #22
Montana_1988
Established Member

M.O.C. #1988
I have worked part time at a major retailer for almost 10 years now. The stories mentioned about Walmart are no different than the stories about other retail outlets such as Sears, K-Mart, PepBoys, etc. The problem with the retail stories is they want your business but they offer nothing to the people working on your vehicle. The other problem is the consumer. As a previous boss put it, the retail service centers are the McDonalds of the automotive industry. The consumer wants the job done and they want it now.

Speaking from the retail side, the technician working on the vehicle is typically self trained (my company only started offering minimal training in the past 3 years. Prior to that there was no training). He/she is constantly being pushed to work faster; is being pulled from one vehicle to another even though the other vehicle is not finished. At my company, due to offering battery installs and oil changes in xxx number minutes, a technician can be pulled off a vehicle to work on another vehicle that just came in the door. Its not fair to the customer who's vehicle is in work, may have been in work for an hour or more, and may be in the waiting room. Company policy is that oil changes and batteries take priority over existing work. Add to that is company standards to complete installation of four tires within an hour (I believe thats right) or it's four tires and an alignment within an hour.

Add to these standards and guidelines, the technician is supposed to examine your vehicle and try to find anything else that is wrong and try to sell it to you. As a techhician I do not agree with this rule; as a customer, I get very upset when you do this to me. The retail stores are not the only ones that do this. When I order fast food, Sonic is a classic example, I order my food, state that's all, and the person taking the order still tries to sell me something else.

My company does not make a lot of money doing oil changes. The purpose of offering an oil change is to get you in the door and then look for other problems. Likewise, the technician doing the oil change may not have a lot of experience.

As you mentioned about Walmart and the immediate offer from the manager telling you to go "else where" to correct the problem and send him the bill... this is not that unusual. I've seen it more than once. All I can say is I guess it's cheaper to hire minimal skilled labor and pay the claims then it is to hire experienced techs who are accountable.

On closing, I hate to say this but it's true, most of the techs working on your vehicle don't really care. It's not their vehicle, you're just another customer, and all they want is their paycheck. Again, you're just another customer who's being serviced at the speed of McDonalds.
Montana_1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 02:50 AM   #23
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Notsdale,

An interesting post, even for us gals! Thanks for taking the time to put it here for us.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:11 PM   #24
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Not surprised to read all the horror stories--this has been going on for years. Had a great Firebird whose demise was the direct result of an incompetent Jiffy Lube technician--thirty years ago! The more we travel down the road, the more we learn that the chain retailers are not the place to go if you want quality service. Speed yes, but not quality. Sorry for all your problems folks--and yes, we still run into problems with local dealers and garages on occasion. But they seem a lot more willing to try at quality.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:09 PM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for all the comments. Joyce, we'll get something posted about the CG. So far we think it was a good choice.

I can probably get away with rotating the wheels in an RV Park but very few will allow us to change oil, especially when we're talking of having to dispose of 15 quarts of used oil.

I won't have a Ford dealer do an oil change. I had them do the first one and got stuck for $100 and change. $39 of that was for the filter. The next dealer, when due again and in a different state, wanted $120 so I walked. I'm planning to switch to Rotella T oil so will look for a Grease Monkey or similar store where at least they know how to change oil and use the lift properly. I hope. And I hope they carry that oil. I can buy the Motorcraft filter now at Walmart. That filter is required for the 100k warranty, at least so far.

Monday is the day I take it to the Ford Truck place in Savannah. I stopped by the Walmart today to touch base with the service manager again. He had been trying to call me but the dummy who entered my phone number in their computer mistyped teh area code (it's wrong on my original invoice, too). His insurance company wants pictures of the damage. So he laid under my truck taking pictures. He also told me to get an estimate and have them order the part, bring him the estimate. Or I can go ahead and get it fixed first. If it's under $250 the store can reimburse me on the spot. Otherwise it goes to the insurance company. I'll get the estimate but have it fixed as soon as the part is in and then get reimbursed. This vibration is not easy to live with. I'll also have Ford check for any collateral damage.

I'm done with Walmart service. Thanks for all the nice comments.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:41 PM   #26
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Steve,

You can take your used oil to any super walmart and dispose of it.

Tom
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:01 AM   #27
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Tom, that is a great photo of truck and rig!

Sorry for hijack of the thread, just I saw the photo on another thread, and thought, GREAT photo! So, decided I would tell ya!

Cheers,

Carol
Old 01-17-2005, 09:13 AM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good insights there, Notsdale. Thanks. Just to clarify, they told me to take it elsewhere for the repair because they are not equipped to fix the problem. Plus I would have insisted on having it checked out by a Ford dealer to make sure nothing else was damaged, something not easily seen or noticed. I think you're right in your descriptions and obviously you are in position to know. Thanks for the post.

Tom, the biggest problem is the majority of rv parks will not condone doing an oil change on the property. Most have something in the 'rules' about no working on vehicles. I agree about the picture. Very nice, Tom. Now, let's see that rig at Reno next October!

For the record, I took the truck to the Ford Truck Service Center today. My truck sure looked tiny next to all those large rigs they were working on. They apparently work on everything, not just Fords. They tried to straighten the skid plate but it's too strong so they ordered a new one, which I would have insisted on anyhow had I known they were trying to fix the old one. And they left the old skid plate off, in the mean time, so we are once again vibration free! I would have to say the skid plate is a good one. The truck weighs 7960 pounds. To lift the truck up in the air didn't have all that weight on it but the plate was bent up against the transmission but did not hurt it.

Stopped at Walmart to update them. I do have to say the service manager(s) have been very pleasant to work with and willingly admitted it is their fault. I'll still feel better when I have the truck fixed and the reimbursement in hand.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:16 AM   #29
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Hey, Steve,

Here is Al's story, TIMES TWO, as this is the second time this has happened since we bought this truck, purchased April 2003.

He has been taking to the dealer ONLY for oil changes. Now, this is a well thought of dealer in our county. He really is a great dealer. He has great people in the service areas, we have had a few warranty issues and they have handled every single one of them, gave us a loaner car, wash the truck afterwards, did the work in a reasonable time frame, just NICE!!!!

Except, for the oil changes. This truck takes 6 1/2 quarts PER GM. Two times they have dumped in 7 QUARTS!! A full 16 ounces too much oil. Al has caught it both times, this time before he drove away, and then they had a fuss getting it out.

So, guess the moral of the story is, you gotta know what your truck requires, check your paper work carefully when you pay (had conflicting paper work this time, one set said 6.5, the other said 7), and check your dip stick yourself soon after the oil change. Also have to be sure those little computers that tell you about your oil change (if you have one of those in your truck) is reset properly.

Al said he is tired of having to follow up everyones work. Me thinks he is also disgusted! SIGH

Carol
Old 01-21-2005, 12:54 PM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, be thankful your 8.1 gasser "only" take 6.5 quarts! My Ford Powerstroke diesel takes 15 quarts of oil!

I got the oil changed yesterday at a local Jiffy Lube. They have Rotella T. But my engine warranty requires either the Motorcraft or the International filter (they say they're a much finer weave) so I provided my own filter (Motorcraft filter for the 6.0 is now available at Walmart for about $17 vs $39 at a Ford dealer). They also washed the windshield, filled up the washer fluid, vacuumed the interior (really needed that) and some other things. They checked tires to air to the placard numbers so I'll have to remember to tell them to leave the tires alone. I air them for towing and don't want them messing with that again.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:11 PM   #31
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

When do you get your new part (the one that Wallmart made a boo boo with??)??

Al told them to leave his tires alone today too! Same reason you gave!

Carol
Old 01-21-2005, 03:43 PM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The new skid plate was installed Tuesday. Walmart reimbursed me in cash same day. It's all done.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:01 PM   #33
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Great news Steve.

Is it OK to forgive, but not forget?

My vote is yes.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:07 PM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sure. We'll still buy from Walmart but I won't have them do any work that involves lifting the truck. I will miss that six-dollar wheel rotation, though. I have some Walmart stories you wouldn't believe. Once the lift broke as they tried to lift my truck. Another time, in Beckley, VW, they made me remove the truck because they just got called with a bomb scare. They told us all to go over by the gas station in the far corner of the parking lot. I think standing in a gas station is the last place I want to be when there's flying, flaming debris from a building explosion! And it goes on...
Old 01-22-2005, 02:05 AM   #35
Montana_2304
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2304
Glad to hear everything worked out well for you!

Charlie and Sue
Montana_2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 02:28 AM   #36
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Great Steve

We are happy you got it all fixed!

Great bomb scare story, a bomb scare in a Wallmart?? Just WHAT is this world coming to??

Old 01-22-2005, 02:18 PM   #37
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I had one tell me they didn't have a socket or wrench to fit the can for the oil filter so I bought my own socket and removed it for them. Sigh. Another told me they won't remove the filter from the canister because it's too messy. The canister is on top of the engine. I had them watch while I removed it myself. On the Ford 6.0, when you remove the lid off the can it opens a valve that drains the filter. Then you lift the element out. Don't even need a rag under the filter. No drips. Those encounters really made me nervous about Walmart "techs" and after this latest episode I'll just avoid them altogether. Went to Jiffy Lube this last time. They even cleaned the windshield and vacuumed the inside of the truck, which is really needed. And they had me out of there 15 minutes after I drove up. And they had Rotella T oil although they didn't have the brand of filter required for my engine warranty so I provided my own filter.