Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Office Max hose job

In August of last year I bought a new Toshiba laptop from Office Max. They conned me into coughing up another 199.00 for an extended warranty. Last week my hard drive took a huge dump. I called MaxAssurance and they said no problem here is the # for the company we are sending you to for the work. As I was finishing up with the Image Micro Systems the tech asked if I was sending the new OS software with the machine. I told him that the software was on the drive and that since 09 no computers were shipped with external software. He said that they don't "do software, we only do hardware replacement." So I had to go buy a new OS to send with the computer. Since this the 2nd PC we have had a hard drive crash with in less than 6 months I am going to start saving for a Mac Book Pro. If the Toshiba even works when it returns from the shop I will use it till the Mac comes to live here. Replacement hard drives are getting hard to find and the price is climbing fast because most are made in Thailand and most of the factories were damaged by the floods. It is always something. Next time I purchase a extended warranty I will ask more questions and demand to see it in writing...

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:05 AM   #2
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I invested in Acronis True Image Home. You can make and image of you computer and it normally fits on 4 DVD. Then make a boot CD to boot the computer with. You then send the boot disk and the DVD’s with the computer they are going to repair. When they boot your compute with your boot CD the program is self-prompted.

Remember the computer manufacturer does commonly not manufacture the HD. In some cases they do but most of the time they dont.

Also the Apple has a HD in it as well and they do fail.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:38 AM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Dave, that's the reason you're suppose to make a back up copy of the original software. I've got the disk for both of our laptops with me, so if we have any problem I can at least restore it back to the out of box state. I've had good luck with Toshiba's even had one that made three trips to Japan when I was working.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

Dave, that's the reason you're suppose to make a back up copy of the original software. I've got the disk for both of our laptops with me, so if we have any problem I can at least restore it back to the out of box state. I've had good luck with Toshiba's even had one that made three trips to Japan when I was working.
X2

Eight. Toshibas now with no problems.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:42 AM   #5
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
I believe that your Toshiba should be licensed for Microsoft original OS software. There should be a sticker somewhere on the laptop. If not, Office Max would have installed a licensed version of the OS and should re-install at no charge.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
My sisters Mac Book Crashed 3 times the first year she owned it. I have had more hard drive crashes with Mac desktops than PCs. 2 X as many. Stuff happens & sorry it happened to you. Know what its like, spent $5000 between two crashes trying to recover the data. We back up to External HDs, DVDs & Carbonite, religiously.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I guess it's just who you are. I've always had Mac's at home and some at work and only had one crash in about 20 computers over the years. Joyce has always had PC's and her's crash on a bi-annual basis! We also have some problems with the PC's at work, but those are on a service agreement so it's annoying when they have a problem, but it's not my issue. We just have to clean up the customer service issues.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Ron, I have gone round and round with Office Max, and their stance is that the MaxAssurance folks should be responsible for all that, hardware and software and would not install anything on the unit when I get back from repair. Needless to say I won't be purchasing another computer from them. This hard disk has had a physical crash and will no longer even spinup so no boot disks will help. I understand about making a boot disk and I do have one but the boot disk is not the entire OS. The software pack I just received today from Toshiba is a set of 4 cds that will put the new HD into factory fresh condition which also means I have to go to the local coffee shop with high speed wifi to download all the service packs for Windows 7. Also all the updates for the other software that came on the computer. This totals between 3 and 5 gigs and is well beyond the daily bandwidth of my Hughes system.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
It's really too bad that so many so-called reputable retailers can't identify the right thing to do without a court order!
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Once you go Mac youll never go back!!
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:54 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Oh my Dave, I do feel your pain.

In the last 4 years I have had one iMac crash, and one PC crash. So yes, it happens, and it is surly frustrating to say the least. Having spent a good deal of my life since 1980 with computers, and working in IT Security at NASA JSC there are some things that I now take for granted. Use eternal hard drives for data. Back up important data to DVD/cd. Keep an eye out for evolving technology that removes some of the older technology from the older computers. Example; floppy drives. I have 5-1/4 and 3-1/2 inch floppy drives that I can plug into the USB port - and they work. Those are just in case I run into any pigeon holed floppies that I need data or information off of.

Just how far one goes on preserving data is up to an individual choice. For programs, every one that I download as a zip, exe, dmg (mac) I put on a CD/DVD media. I make backups of all purchased media. It is easy to replace programs, but data can some times be lost forever if proper steps are not taken.

Now, for your situation. I'm really surprised that the computer did not come with an OEM shrink-wrapped disk. The one that we normally put somewhere for safe keeping and it is safe "forever." I carry mine in my computer case. Also, with Toshiba, the first time you operate it it should ask you if you want to run a program to create a "Recovery Disk Set." It usually takes about 6 DVD/CD's to create this set. With it you can recover any hard disk drive you put into your system by running the recovery software. I have done this with my 3rd Toshiba, and should something happen to it I would buy another Toshiba. The only difference is that I would purchase it from Best Buy, only because of their extended service plans.

Do not despair, YET, with the hard drive that crashed. If you have not done anything like deleting files or reformatting, you data is still there. Typically when a Windows system crashes like that it is only one of the system programs, or just one section of a track that fails on boot up. What you can do:

Buy an inexpensive "enclosure" for your hard drive. They are typically under $40, some higher and some a lot cheaper. You would install your defunct hard drive into the enclosure and plug it into the appropriate slot on your new running computer. Most likely you will be using the USB port. It will act like any other USB device and you can copy and paste all of your data files. You will not be able to copy your program files, unless they are a stand alone .exe program. Anything that had to be "installed," will have parts in the registry that you will not be able to create without in-depth knowledge of how the registry works, and then it is not very productive.

When my Toshiba crashed, I recovered it using the recovery disks, and downloaded the Windows 7 updates. It never exceeded my 5gb download service.

If you need any help, give a holler.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:11 AM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Wayne, BTDT. I tried the external case and it didn't work, I also got some data recovery software but after 5 tries I could only get through 7% of the drive. I just took Betsy's Toshiba and made the boot disks for it. it took 4 4.7 gig DVDs. The only Data I am really ****** about is the photos of my daughters graduation, the NE rally and the fall rally. The rest is gravy. I am also running a full incremental backup on Betsy's computer today too. I guess I will do the same on mine each time I add a new bit of software after the initial setup..
Old 11-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Waynem
What about buying a computer with a solid state HD instead of the standard rotating HD. HP sells them, I know they are expensive but might be worth the cost.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Lynwood, that is an option but the largest solid state I have seen online through a computer manufacture is 512gig and that is 1200 bucks. Solid state is the coming thing but prices are still way too high and the volume is too low.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #15
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Dave,
You had mentioned a Mac. The new Macbook Air comes with a solid state drive. What a lot of folks are doing is using the internal for the OS. Since the SD's are small (and expensive) people use an external HD for their data. They are cheap and very portable.

I share your desire to go with a Mac. I run a small business running PC's, all Dell desktops and a server. What sets the Mac apart IMHO, are a few things. First is service. They charge more up front, but their service is second to none and worth every penny. Generally, they use higher grade components. Since Windows 7, there isn't much difference in the OS but the problem with PC's is that the competition is fierce so they have to cut down on the service side. Apple has maintained a very high profit margin on their hardware, thus they can afford to provide the service.

Second is they control both the hardware and software. Is is a closed system that makes things generally easier for the user and thus a more pleasant experience.

The down side in making the switch would be replacing your software. Depending on what you use it may or may not be expensive. I use Mac's at home and on the road. We also use Iphones & Ipad's in the office and at home.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #16
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Lynwood, that is an option but the largest solid state I have seen online through a computer manufacture is 512gig and that is 1200 bucks. Solid state is the coming thing but prices are still way too high and the volume is too low.
To what depth were you diving when the hard drive drowned? I don't think the Macs are any more waterproof. Just do your web surfing above water , not under , and you should be right mate!
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #17
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Yo! Sheepdip, what it is? Haven't you headed south yet? y'all need to come north for the Dog Sled races in Feb. I still have two FHU sites although the one next to the stick house has a Big Sky in it. We decided we didn't want the last 30 feet of our 100 foot white pine to fall on the rig so we moved it next to the house for the winter. The spot near the tree is still open though, come on up!!
Old 11-24-2011, 05:08 AM   #18
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Unfortunately none of this will help you now, but it can in the future.

I subscribe to an online back up service called Carbonite. It's pretty affordable, $149 for three years, and they offer unlimited storage. the program runs in the back ground when you tell it too. Mine runs at night when I'm sleeping.

WD has had a recognized problem with their larger hard drives. Specifically, the 1TB models. There is a controller board on the drive that overheats and dies. Some people have had success swapping out the board for another one, but because WD changes the drive's operating system so often, you almost need to get a card from a drive built the same day. I learned this stuff the hard way. Luckily, I had started to use Carbonite a few months before, but I still lost all the program files on the drive and had to reinstall them. I will buy another WD drive the day hell freezes over because I had two drives crap out this way. WD replaces them but will do nothing to help restore the data on them. There are places who do data recovery but they are expensive, plus I don't know if I feel comfortable with a 3rd party having access to my data. They do offer the guarantee that if they fail, you don't pay, but the one I contacted wanted $500.

Last, as someone else pointed out, all computers have drives. Even the new ones with memory chips instead of drive platters use that drive for your OS and use convention drives for storage. So even if you get buy an Apple or a computer with a solid state drive, you won't be isolated from this kind of failure possibility.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:58 AM   #19
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
System recovery disks are great; I had to use mine recently when I picked up a virus that I couldn't remove. But (and I'm not sure if this is a Dell thing or a Windows thing) the process was supposed to preserve data files and it didn't, even though I specified what I wanted to save. Regular backups saved me there.
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #20
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
It may be that your data files were infected with the virus or the virus caused them to be deleted.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote