Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2010, 05:50 AM   #1
mduf
Established Member

M.O.C. #10411
12volt receptical

Has anyone put a 12volt receptical in the rv somewhere? There was one in the front storage area hooked into the light there. Blew the fuze in the adapter twice. Tried to put a new one in the same place and blew the camper fuzes twice. I would like one in the rv somewhere, any help. Thanks......Mike

mduf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:55 AM   #2
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
we installed one in our front basement compartment for use with an air compressor, etc...hooked directly to 12 battery with an inline fuse.(use 10 amps)..works fine....mounted on rear wall..bought 12v recp at Walmart
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
It's not hard to install one, but what are you trying to run off of it?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:02 AM   #4
mduf
Established Member

M.O.C. #10411
Sometimes I forget the 110 phone charger. I have an XM radio, that's what I blew the adapter fuze on. The rv's I have had before this one all have had one with the TV hookup. Sometimes they come in handy.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mduf,
I installed an extra 12 volt outlet at the rear of my 3295. There is a desk at that location. I run some amateur radio equipment there and needed a good 12 supply. Needless to say I could not run the 12 volt off of an existing wire because my equipment draws more amps than it could supply. So I ran some 6 gauge wire from the battery compartment to the desk.

We pulled the bottom of the rig open and simply drilled a hole in the floor. If I had it to do over I'd do what H. John Kohl did. He simply installed a Gel Cell battery in one of the cabinets near the desk and ran his power from that. Much simpler and better system. He also runs amateur radio equipment.

Good luck.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Your LP detector runs on 12v. You could easily tap into its supply and install a cigar lighter close by.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
mduf
Established Member

M.O.C. #10411
Took off LP detector, it was not even hooked up. Wires were capped. Hooked it up and the green light went to red. Guess I had better get a new one.
Good news is I hooked up the 12 volt plug and it worked fine. I'll have to wait until I get the new detector to see if they will work together.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mduf

Took off LP detector, it was not even hooked up. Wires were capped. Hooked it up and the green light went to red. Guess I had better get a new one.
Good news is I hooked up the 12 volt plug and it worked fine. I'll have to wait until I get the new detector to see if they will work together.
Install a switch so you can turn the LP detector off when not using your camper. It will drain your battery quickly if it is left on.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:23 AM   #9
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ARJ

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mduf

Install a switch so you can turn the LP detector off when not using your camper. It will drain your battery quickly if it is left on.
I think I would put a cut-off switch on the battery rather than the LP detector. You might forget to turn the switch on for the LP detector, but probably not for the battery. Just a thought! Jim