Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
JT Strong Arm Stabilizer Installation

This weekend I plan to install JT Strong Arm Stabilizers. I was wondering does the trailer molding near the front jacks need to be unscrewed to get to the frame or just used the retainer screw line to drill through both the trailer molding and the frame to install the spacer mount. It also appears that I will have to remove the under belly covering in ths back to mount the rear stabilizers. Thanks

Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Jay Bird, below is a link to the photos I did on my install. You don't have to remove any of belly trim. You can reach the frame where the side braces go through the opening around the jack legs. On my curb side I used one self tapper and one bolt and nut. On the road side I used bolts on both holes. On the back I went to a steel fabricators and bought a 71 inch piece of 1/8 inch walled 2x3 inch box. The JT's web site shows you where to drill all your holes. When using the self tapping bolts I used a tap to chase the threads before trying to run the bolts in, the bolts don't have that great of a cutting capability so the tap makes it much easier.. Dave and Betsy
http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/c...t=48404260.pbw
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I did my front jacks just like Dave - drilled pilot holses right through the tin cowling over the frame then in with the self tapping bolts.

Our 3400 had an existing rear crossmember in just the right spot. I cut slits in the belly big enough to get my fingers up there to install the nuts, then sealed them back up with black automotive firewall caulking.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Thanks for the info Dave and Brad. The pics will definitely help with the project this weekend.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Have fun Jaybird - You'll be glad you put them on.

If you push up on the belly you can feel that rear crossmember.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:14 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Good Luck with the install. I took my front side stabilizers off yesterday so they could get the belly pan off today to replace my black water tank. I didn't want them taking them off and losing something. WOW! did that make a difference. The rig really sways forward and aft when someone walks around inside. The stabilizers will go right back on tonight as soon as we get back to the camp site... Dave and Betsy
Old 03-27-2008, 01:07 AM   #7
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
From all the reviews from other Montana owners I know I willenjoy them. Now I will not have to tip toe around the trailer early mornings when taking the dogs out.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:03 AM   #8
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
It is done
Old 04-05-2008, 09:10 AM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
So Jaybird, tell us, what do ya think of them?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
we are going out friday night and mrs jay bird will let you know how it went.
roe
Old 04-15-2008, 03:34 PM   #11
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Got back from the Lake Monday. Boy what a difference. The stabilizers worked well. First time since we had the unit that I did not rock the wife in the early AM when taking the two four legged friends out in the AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Glad to hear it, just don't forget to loosen the t-bolts before you lift the jacks up . I have done that a couple times. I usually pull the rear jacks first and they dost protesth loudly. Also check the t-bolts closely as I had two Ts snap off, because of bad welds. I Called and they sent me two new bolts. I kept the old ones and they were welded this week. Much better welds, this time there was some penetration.. Good Luck... Dave and Betsy
Old 04-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #13
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Thanks again. I will keep that in mind. I went around and loosened all the Ts and had the DW to check behind me. I need to add this to our departure check list. I am already looking forward to our next outing to PA in Mid May.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:45 PM   #14
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
I finally got to install my JT's on the rig yesterday. All I can say is "WOW" they are incredible! What a difference they made in the stability of the trailer. Now I can't wait to go camping for a few days and really enjoy them.

Anyone need a Ball Bi-Pod stand for the 5th wheel hitch pin? I have one available at a good price......"Free to the first one who asks"!

Scott
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Scott, did you use the 2x3 inch box channel on the rear install? Either way make sure the T-bolts are out of the way when you bring up the rear jacks, if they are not out of the way the rear braces will snap the top off the bolts..
Old 05-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #16
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Dave,

To be honest I haven't installed the rear stabilizers yet, only the front ones. I am planning on installing the rear ones but 6 weeks ago I had a heart attack and by-pass surgery and have to take it a little at a time or the wife yells at me for doing to much.

Just adding the front stabilizers really made a difference by themselves. Pushing on the side of the trailer I can't get it to rock at all. I would have to say that this was money well spend!

Scott
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Scott, I had mine installed in Quartzsite this year and left my tripod in the middle of the trailers and put a sign on it to please take, no charge. It was gone in a heartbeat. Truthfully, I never felt like it did much good anyway. The JT's are the trick and should be an option on the new Montanas or at least one of the knockoffs.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote