Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2005, 01:23 PM   #21
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
April 04 I had to replace a computer (laptop) because of the hard drive crash. It crashed just after returning from a MD to Fl and back run. I do believe the road vibration took its toll. I run Delorme and will upgrade to 07 model before coming home for good. I use the software before the trip when we start planning and then use the voice alerts on the road. Ann does not like the laptop on the armrest but that is where it sits. I use the map only as a reference and do the same as if it was paper. Pull to the shoulder or do it at a stoplight and then get the horn from behind cause I am not moving fast enough.
The audio on Street Atlas 2003 was weak. I hope they have fixed that. I do use a single earpiece and boom mic so I can talk to the program. It works some of the time. It does not recognize command when I am yelling and calling it names. I think I hut its feeling cause it will just crash or lock up. Yep it shows me who is boss. Those comments of locking up are fictions.
Good luck, tow safe and happy holidays.
OH yes we saw our first sleight pulled by kangaroos up on display yesterday.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 01:39 PM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have the wide screen 17 inch HP and Helen has the 12 inch HP.We tend to use the 17 inch with the GPS in the TRUCK because of the big screen It will also be the primary PC in the RV...The Driver..never, never,never pays any attention to the PC..that is the duty of the navigator . Another advantage of the GPS/PC combination for us is that you can use the PC for other things, games, work, etc while driving..I mean you really don't need the GPS while you are driving down the tpk or interstate..that would be like getting lost in a tunnel. We do have a older Garman GPS12map handheld that we used when out in the mountains. I will come right out and admit it. I wear trifocals.Without my glasses everything is a blur.In fact without my glasses I am legally blind in my left eye result of a line drive to the eyeball when I played city league ball.Helen although a young lady and a stubborn Irish person is also weak of eye..so we need the big screen...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:58 PM   #23
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave e Victoria

dsprik,
the "Route 66" program works on Mac and works well.
Thanks, Dave. been looking for a long time for a Mac program... I had given up ever finding one. Does it work on OS X?

Rich, I guess I haven't really had this HP that long, so I might not be giving it a fair shake. Cheryl did not complain at all while on the Interstate with it... although she was watching a "Desperate Housewives" episode I downloaded for her.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:13 PM   #24
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
dsprik,
Route 66 works native in OSX. My only complaint with this program is it tends to talk about freeways by thier name rather than by hiway number. I think it is an English thing. Also, it prefers a GPS reciever with bluetooth interface. As I rmember, they offer a package deal of reciever and software that is competetive with Earthmate.

BTW, once you have a GPS reciever there is a bunch of software out there for other applications like survey and mapping. There is even one that allows you to develop your own application. That must be for people who have a lot of time on their hands.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:19 PM   #25
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Dave!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 06:07 PM   #26
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
GPS, one of my favorite topics. I have two Garmin handheld units, the GPS Plus II and the newer 60C. Mine do double duty - outdoor sports like hunting, hiking and fishing, as well as on road navigation. Either of them will work with the PC and one of several programs - Garmin's City Streets and Delorme Street Atlas U.S.A. The 60C will also work as a standalone navigation system without the voice prompts. Garmin's Quest series will do the navigation with voice prompts as well as connect into a laptop. The newer Quest will also allow you to add databases of traffic cameras, school zones and other items for alerts. It also will allow the fm traffic reports to automatically reroute you in cities like Chicago. There are some really neat things going on with the GPS and other features. The laptops are fairly durable. Our HP has been over many dirt roads with nary a problem. For long trips, we use the laptop with the GPS. For short trips or mainly Interstates, the 60C with the bean bag mount works great. Hope this additional info helps.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote