Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2005, 05:54 PM   #1
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
2005 Ford 6.0 PSD Water Temperature Question

While towing, once in a while my engine temp gage climbs to within an eighth of an inch of the red zone. (Coolant level is just fine.)

When it gets to that point, it seems that’s when the clutch for the fan engages, and I hear a rather loud, (even though I never wear my hearing aids while driving,) growling sound that continues until the temp gets back down to about mid-gage.

This happens mostly when driving up inclines, and accelerating after a rest stop. And when the noise starts, the temp goes down, even if I’m still climbing or accelerating.

Bear in mind that it’s been pretty warm no matter where we’ve been lately. And it’s been happening for a while, now. I think the first time I even noticed it was in Virginia, a few months back, climbing the Blue Ridge.

Has anyone noticed this? Do you hear it when the fan kicks in?

I’m planning on getting the codes read whenever I come upon a compliant Ford dealer.

Steve

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:52 PM   #2
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
My first thought is "cool", its working like its supposed to. When the fan engages on my dodge it sounds like a wind machine. I wonder what's pullin' the rig...the fan or the truck! Remember the fan is probably going to sound loud since it sucking some serious air through the radiator. Also on your ford if the fan is in a shroud, that will probably increase the noise level. Might want to add a dial gauge, personally I don't trust the sweeper gauges in something that important. But still be sure and ask a dealer guy you trust.
Montana_1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 01:10 AM   #3
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Don,

While I'd love to have gages, I don't want to tamper with anything that might lead Ford to believe I don't deserve warranty repairs if anything happens. So it'll be a while before I can get to that stage. I want to know my EGT, and Boost Pressure, too. (Even though I have that new little boost gage included in the 2005's.) I would love to know my exact Tranny Temp, as well.

I'm hoping you're right about the noise. Yours "sounds" just like mine does. I've got a shroud, by the way.

I was most worried for the first few times I heard that, thinking something was out of balance, or ready to blow. But once I caught the temp dropping down while I was still going up an 8% grade, I knew the cooling system was functioning. But I still want a dealer to check codes to see if it had gotten over a temperature it's supposed to stay below.

6AM this morning, and it's 80 degrees, with air you can cut with a knife! If I had to pull today, I would bet I'd see the temp rise, once more. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that it's been hot in Fairbanks, as well!

Steve
Old 07-25-2005, 07:11 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Steve there is a bulletin out regarding the temperature gauge. Some of them are doing what you described. The fix is to replace the instrument cluster.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:00 AM   #5
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Steve,

I'm guessing the gage shows an accurate, (though just relative,) rendition of the engine temp. It only happens when I'm using a lot of turbo pressure. And whatever it is, it trips the fan's clutch, making that god-awful loud roar.

(Edited to add: I will look into the indicator, though, based on your e-mail on the subject. Can’t hurt!)

I will feel better once I get a Ford dealer to read the codes...Preferably in front of me. Just in case there's something amiss with the thermostat, perhaps...Though it's way too intermittent to be a sticky thermostat. That would show up on level ground, as much as it does when under strain.

I keep thinking ahead to going to Reno, and want to make sure there's nothing that might mess the trip up, or place us in an unsafe position. Hence the brake wiring check, and the truck's temperature deal.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-25-2005, 01:02 PM   #6
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Steve (Gyro),

My 05 acts in a very similar fashion, in the same type of situations, though I don’t recall the temp gauge being quite as close as you mention. It does not sound like “growling” per se, but I swear it does resemble a plane fixing to take off!

Steve (Reigle), Where can I find that bulletin you mention? Thanks!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 01:31 PM   #7
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Wordsmith,

Bear in mind, I'm half deaf. I figure that since I can hear it, it's gotta be LOUD!

The main reason it started bugging me was because it started not too long after the cold air intake hose popped off its connection when we first started climbing a big hill into Virginia. I was so sure we blew something to do with the turbo, that everything that happened at that point made me worry that we'd need a turbo replaced.

Thankfully, it wasn't a big deal, and was fixed with a replacement hose. But the hills leading into Virginia, and the fact that it was early summer made it hot enough to cause the temp to rise under those circumstances.

Thankfully, I have the initial warranty, plus the extended warranty. So no matter what it takes, we'll be good.

But the noise just made me wonder if I was the only one experiencing that.

Steve
Old 07-25-2005, 03:30 PM   #8
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Mine did the same thing going over Cajone pass in California. I pushed harder than I normally would while everything was under warranty and just to see how hard it would really pull. Topped the pass at 65 MPH on a 8% grade. Needless to say the fan was making a lot of noise and the temp was pretty high. But it stayed just under the red and din not get any hotter even though I did not back out of it. I kept a close eye on the temp did not want to create a problem.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 05:00 PM   #9
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Steve, I can certainly understand your concern, given that a hose had popped on yours. I was pretty worried when I first heard it and sent an e-mail to Steve Reigle from the mountains. He put my mind at ease. As Marsha said at the time, these diesels make a lot of noises!
Old 07-26-2005, 06:26 AM   #10
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
In mid June we went thru the Blue Ridge mountains and my temperature gage never moved much pass it's normal operating temperature. Getting close to the "red zone" would freak me out. The noise seems normal for everyone.
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 09:55 AM   #11
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Thanks, all!

I'm thinking that the accuracy of the gage may leave something to be desired. It gets to what looks like one-eighth of an inch of the red, and then will dive as soon as the fan kicks in. Never been into the red. So I know the cooling system's working. But since it can and does keep cool when forced, I see no reason why it has to have those peaks.

The main reason I made any note of it is because my deafness pretty much makes me immune to almost all the diesel noise. When I actually heard that racket, felt that I had to worry.

On the off chance that it may need to get something fixed, I'm going to ask Ford to read codes to see if it maybe should be turning the fan on earlier. (If that's a function of the cluster, so be it. They can change the cluster.)

And the fact that this is all warranted makes me maybe a tad more brave than I would be if it was going to be out of pocket. I want all bugs worked out while I'm more or less in the flat lands. I'm sure we'll need plenty of oomph to get up and around to Reno, this fall.

Steve
Old 07-26-2005, 10:18 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The Ford people tell me the fan actually comes on around 210-215 F. If so, the gauge is reading higher than the actual temperature, as Ford says. That's what the bulletin indicates, too. (JD, go to dieselmann's 6.0 bulletins page at http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/60bulletin.htm .
It's there somewhere.)

I described the symptoms to the Ford dealer in Whitefish, MT, shortly after we got here and they promptly ordered a new instrument cluster. They installed it last week. We won't tow again until mid-August so I can't tell you if this was truly the situation, yet. I know the truck just continued to pull us on up those mountain roads without missing a beat but I kept a very close eye on the temperature gauge. Next month I'll know if the gauge was the problem as we'll be pulling some pretty good mountain grades between here and Island Park, ID.

My 2003 F350 with the same engine and transmission never ran hotter than 225, and that only once, even on 8% grades towing this same Montana. So, I suspect the gauge may actually have been faulty. I hope, anyhow.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:43 AM   #13
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Steve, thanks for the link. Please keep us up to date about how the truck functions with the new gauge, Inquiring minds truly do want to know and you should be in a position to see when you tow again.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:37 PM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We have the 7.3 engine in our rig. When that fan kicks on it is unmistakable. No doubt about that. I'm a bit concerned that the temp gauge NEVER moves off it's normal temp. It warms up from cold and then just stays there. Does not matter if I'm going uphill or whether I'm on level ground. On the other hand I've never had it heat up. And in the 3 years I've had it it has not used any water.... I've added maybe a quart or two in all that time. I am going to have some gauges put in. I really want to know what's going on in the engine.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:17 PM   #15
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
We have the 7.3 in our 2001. When we went to WV we had a few hills to go over. One was 5 miles 7% grade. The truck did a great job. The fan we have on ours is a viscous fan. It kicks on when the sensor gets hot. Not sure what the new ones have. I really watched to turbo temp and trans temp. We had three 7.3s and one 6.0 in our convoy and they would ask me what the temps were as they don,t have all the gages.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 05:12 PM   #16
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
HamRad-
My 7.3 cooling system behaves the same as yours. The indicator comes up to a normal operating temp and stays there even when the fan kicks in. I assume that the fan is holding the temp in the normal range. Like you in four years I have never had to add to the radiator. Flushed and replaced the coolant as required by the manual and add the corrosion inhibitor every 15K miles.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:32 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dennis, here's how the Ford temp gauges function. I'm using fictitious numbers as I don't know the actual numbers.

0 to 180 - Gauge needles moves as a normal gauge.
180-240 - Gauge needle sits in one place, in the middle of the gauge.
240-max - gauge needle moves higher as temperature climbs.

Since your Ford has never gone hot, that's why the needle never moves.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:31 PM   #18
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gyro

Wordsmith,

Bear in mind, I'm half deaf. I figure that since I can hear it, it's gotta be LOUD!

The main reason it started bugging me was because it started not too long after the cold air intake hose popped off its connection when we first started climbing a big hill into Virginia. I was so sure we blew something to do with the turbo, that everything that happened at that point made me worry that we'd need a turbo replaced.

Thankfully, it wasn't a big deal, and was fixed with a replacement hose. But the hills leading into Virginia, and the fact that it was early summer made it hot enough to cause the temp to rise under those circumstances.

Thankfully, I have the initial warranty, plus the extended warranty. So no matter what it takes, we'll be good.

But the noise just made me wonder if I was the only one experiencing that.

Steve
Steve, I recently heard a Ford service manager say there was a recall in regard to that hose coming off the turbo. Not sure if it was in regard to the 05 or maybe the 04. The hose is located in the top front of the motor. One can put the hose back on and tighten with a scewdriver. It will hold for a while, sorry I can't be more specific.
Weldon
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:38 PM   #19
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Weldon,

I do believe that's the 05 that the hose design has been changed on. They told me as much when I brought it in for a check-up after replacing the hose, myself, and tightening it with a screwdriver.

I can't see much difference. But I haven't spent much time inspecting it. It seems to be holding up, even at high Turbo pressures.

It sure had me scared when it popped off, though. I know how delicate the turbo is, and was afraid it had something to do with maybe letting crud into the turbo. One Ford dealer that I just stopped by for a minute said he'd change the turbo. But when I got to the next one, with more time, he said they wouldn't change it unless it proved damaged. But it's not a standard practice for this malfunction. He just replaced the hose with a new style one.

Steve
Old 07-28-2005, 05:16 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't think it was actually a recall but was a tech bulletin. It was for the early '03 models and is on dieselmann's page. Our '03 never had the hose come off, though, but I know SUE (moc member name) did have that happen to hers. I've not seen anything about the hose other than that so if someone has newer info, please let me know.