Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2005, 12:30 PM   #21
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If a D/A passes me I just close my eyes, actually my wife says they are closed most of the the time because I do my best sleeping when driving. Just kidding.
Big kids and their toys. I am my wife's biggest kid.
Tow safe and good luck.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:42 PM   #22
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
I got rid of my 03 F250 EC LWB 6.0 because mainly the ford techs around here were not up on it and all ford wanted to do was flash flash flash it. Only had 14000 miles on it but never felt good taking it out of town. Got this one and it seems I have the power and fuel mileage and tow haul ford took away with the flashes, Back now. They said they could not put back the old programing. But then again fords diesel techs just weren't up to the task in this area. loved the truck just not the motor or service.
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 04:36 PM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sounds like you got a bad dealer, Ken. By the way, flashing the computer doesn't get rid of the tow/haul unless they royally screwed up something. Just had mine flashed with the latest updates and tow/haul still works fine. I love my 6.0 PSD and the others like theirs so we're all winners.

By the way... Glenn, in case you didn't already figure it out, Steves was funnin' you. He's still driving a Ford although he is in the market for a new truck and I think is considering all brands. If I was in the market today I'd sure be shopping around just because of all the great discounts out there.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:02 PM   #24
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
sreigle

Don't take this wrong but the 03 tow haul was differant programing. In RC 7 they made it work diff. It used to work with out having to touch the breaks first. It held this truck back on a 7% grade and 10000 pound load and down shifted on its own without touching the breaks, after that flash you had to touch the break first then it kicked in.. research over on dieselstop and you will fine what I am talking about. Ford even said why they reprogrammed and also took the down shift to 1st away. to many hard down shifts to first was one reason that comes to mind.. the first 6.0 out had great programing until ford did the reprogramming before fixing the sensors and injector problems....Wow sorry this is way to long. anyway its all on dieselstop.com

ken
Old 07-24-2005, 08:59 AM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Interesting, Ken. That must be a very recent flash. Our prior truck was one of the early 2003 6.0's. We had it until last October. It was last flashed in September and the tow/haul still worked without touching the brakes. I know my 2005 still works that way, too, even after the flash. So I guess what you're saying is they changed it on the early ones. Thanks for the update. No offense taken, I just wanted to clarify since my experience was different, based just on what I thought you were saying. I'm sorry to hear you had problems with the dealer and the truck. I love mine. But I would not stay with any brand that gave me serious problems. I've switched in the past from Ford to GM to Ford several times, with a Dodge van in there, too. And I'd switch again if the situation warranted. You got a nice truck that will do a good job for you. I hope you have better luck with this one. Truck problems are a royal pain. What is the "LLY" in your truck description?
Old 07-24-2005, 04:00 PM   #26
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
When I had mine in for the injector replacement it was reflashed with the newest porgrams. There has been no change that I can tell except the mileage has gotten better. The trans shifts up and down just like it did from day one. It has always shifted down by itself however it will do it quicker if you tap the brakes.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 08:36 PM   #27
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
sreigle

the LLY model duramax 6.6L

Yes I liked the ford, but not that engine or the techs around here. everyone mentioned how they disliked that engine. Heck ford made 60 engine changes alone between early 03 and late 04 my engine was like number 3716 for serial number build #1. This truck runs and pulls and get the mileage mine did before the flash run around. Understand night and day diff between then and now. but lost faith.

ken
Old 07-25-2005, 07:17 AM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
No problem, Ken. In your situation I'd probably make a similar decision. And I have several times in the past. And probably will again someday. Who knows. Thanks for the update.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:01 PM   #29
Montana_3539
Established Member

M.O.C. #3539
Hi all... we have a 2000 F250 Lariat SD 7.3PSD with a full bed and pull a 1999 Thor Komfort 26F fiver, which is about 11,000, with no trouble, can set cruise control at 65 and cruise along at a hair over 2000RPM with no problems. Won't slow unless we are going up a noticeable hill, in other words it'll handle freeway underpass bumps without shifting down. My question is: we are considering either a 2005 2980RL or the new 3670RL, which my wife just fell madly in love with... will we be able to pull it OK without any engine enhancements such as a Banks? We have about 35K miles on the engine & get about 10.5MPG towing and 17 or so not towing. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Montana_3539 is offline   Reply With Quote