Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2005, 09:18 PM   #1
Montana_3848

M.O.C. #3848
Yet ANOTHER Electrical Mystery to Kick Around

Hi folks! Maybe someone can help me. Is there ANYWHERE I can get a copy of Mountaineer wiring diagrams?? I've got a '03 328RLS and am awaiting a reply from Keystone on this topic. I had my porch light go out the other night. During my troubleshooting I have determined that I have no power coming to the light circuit. My fuses are ok. No power coming through the switch either. Hmmmmmmm I'm not quite sure what to do now, Any suggestions? I did read tonite on another post about the white "cargo" or "perimeter" lights being out due to moisture. I happened to check that switch also and THOSE lights are inop. also. And if I remember correctly, there was a "jumper" wire (for a lack of better term) from the porch switch to the outdoor perimeter lights. Could I have a ground in those lights causing my problem with the porch light? I wonder.
To end this post on a "up note", my wife and I have been full-timers in our Mountaineer for a couple of years now and love it!

Montana_3848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 01:53 AM   #2
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
I would try a couple of things. I don't think a wiring diagram will help, because I think is trailer is wired how the installer wants to do it. I have seen major differences in the same model/year unit.

1. Find and reset all your GFI circuits. The light may be on one of these circuits.

2. Measure voltage and check every other 120V appliance/light to see if other items are out. The way these are wired are in daisy chain fashion to save wire. You may have to pull the outlets to check to see if a wire as come loose.

3. Pull the fuse panel and check to make sure that all the screws holding in the wires are tight. I had several that were loose.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
ghomer
Established Member

M.O.C. #3690
Just a thought, with all the 12volt electrial systems I have worked on, the ground is often the problem. The current can't complete the circuit. When testing for power make sure you have a good ground.
ghomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:06 PM   #4
jerryb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #137
As ghomer said check the ground those lights are all 12V and the ground or rusty socket are the most likely cause.
jerryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:04 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As mentioned above, the porch light may be on the GFCI circuit. I know the patio outlet on ours is on that circuit as are many other things. On the outlet box near the bathroom sink should be a reset button. If that's popped out, that's probably the problem. You may have more than one outlet with the reset button so check for all of them. Hopefully this is the problem. I tore my hair out trying to find the probably for outage at the patio outlet and all it took to fix it was to reset the gfci breaker on that outlet.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:21 AM   #6
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
If I've read this thread right, this issue is with 12V lighting fixtures. These shouldn't be on a GFCI circuit as those are 110V.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:22 AM   #7
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill Hill

If I've read this thread right, this issue is with 12V lighting fixtures. These shouldn't be on a GFCI circuit as those are 110V.
oops! My mistake. You are right. Since these are 12 volt lights, there is no GFI circuit. Sorry.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 07:07 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mazeeff

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill Hill

oops! My mistake. You are right. Since these are 12 volt lights, there is no GFI circuit. Sorry.
Me, too. Sorry. This one should have been obvious but it got past me.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote