Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2005, 03:10 PM   #1
mikedesj
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3083
Cabinet Doors Fall Off

When I first recieved my new unit I noticed many of the hinge screws were loose. I attempted to tighten them but they are all stripped. Now the doors are falling off. I will have to make repairs to all of them before my next trip. It is apparent to me that Keystone installers use power drivers to instal the screws and over-torque them. Who said power tools were better. They need to take these things away from there over zelous employees and teach them how to use a screwdriver. I had the same problem with my Sprinter 5th wheel that I purchased 2 years ago. The frustrating thing is that I know I should bring it back to the dealer and make hime fix it but I am sure I will not be happy with the results. Nor do I feel like making the 1.5 hour one way trip just to fix this. Other than that, I am very happy with my unit. Has anyone else had similar problems and have any feedback.

mikedesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:21 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sounds like you cabinetry was installed on the Monday after a hard weekend or on Friday as they hurried toward quitting time. I am with you. They should fix it, but if I do it, it will be right or I will know why it isn't. Sure glad your problems, though irritating, are minor and do not dampen your spirits.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:21 PM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hello Mike,

An old trick that works really well is, remove the old screws. Fill the holes with Tooth Picks and break them off flush. The flat tooth-picks work the best. Then simply replace the doors and screws.

I think you'll be happy with this old trick. We have had a jar of them in our TT's for a lot of years just for this reason.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Azstar,

My dad was a carpenter and used that procedure many times. The only thing I might add would be Elmer's glue to coat the tooth picks before inserting. Keeps you from having to buy bigger screws.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:44 PM   #5
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Yep,

I'm glad some of these "old country" fixes haven't all been lost.

Just remember to "FILL" the old holes.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:41 AM   #6
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Had the same problem with the rear cabinet door in the large slider in the living room.
I found the upper hinge did not open and close smoothly.
Went to Home Depot and bought two sets of hinges, changed the set and have another set on hand.
Also Lock-Tite makes a liquid that you can put into the screw hole, in place of the tooth pick trick.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote