Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2016, 09:26 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
De-winterizing Montana

When my knee heals up I will need to de-winterize the Montana. This is the first year with the convenience center. Normally I would open up all the tank valves and run fresh water thru the system. Do I need to do anything different because of the power fill with the fresh water tank? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Sounds like you have it under control, if you ran pink stuff into your fresh water tank, it will need flushed as well. Turn winterize switch off in the convenience center. I flush everything before turning on the water heater (after switching the water heater valve back on since there will be pink in hot water lines also) and turning both hot and cold water on. If you have a washer, you will have to run a couple of rinse cycles through it as well. We flush kitchen sink (including spray), bathroom sink and shower, toilet, and the outside faucet in convenience center, (while there crack open low point drains to get pink out of them as well). In addition we cycle washer rinse a couple of times and have to cycle dishwasher a couple of rinse cycles as well. Even if you miss some of the pink, it is non-toxic and will not hurt you. All of this is assuming you do not have water filters on your rig that were removed prior to winterizing.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:56 PM   #3
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
I am new to this fancy "glamping" stuff, but here was my process good or bad.
I had a lengthy reply typed up and decided no-one wanted to read about my process, just don't forget the washer hookups, there's a couple quarts of pink stuff in that system if you forget. Im going to put some shut-offs in the basement because we don't have a washer and I want to eliminate the possibility of a geyser in my closet.

Mark
Old 04-05-2016, 04:21 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We do all just like Bingo does, except dishwasher which we do not have.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #5
bingle
Established Member

M.O.C. #18899
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MARK A

I am new to this fancy "glamping" stuff, but here was my process good or bad.
I had a lengthy reply typed up and decided no-one wanted to read about my process, just don't forget the washer hookups, there's a couple quarts of pink stuff in that system if you forget. Im going to put some shut-offs in the basement because we don't have a washer and I want to eliminate the possibility of a geyser in my closet.

Mark
Mark, I was thinking the same. We do not use the washer connection, so why have a potential leak running up to closet. Have you done this yet? I thought of putting the valves behind the wall in basement? Any special connections needed?
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I put sharkbite shut offs on all my sinks and toilet. Should be easy to use one on each line going to the washer area.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I second sharkbite or Lowes house brand of pushloc fittings. Extremely simple to install. Cut line as square as possible (buy tubing cutter as they are cheap) and push hose ends into fitting ... you're done. You may have to cut an inch or so out of the line to accommodate the fitting dimension if your lines cannot be pushed apart some.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:37 PM   #8
bingle
Established Member

M.O.C. #18899
Ok Great, Is the Pex that is used the same as residential Pex? or is it something special for our RV's?
Thanks!
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:16 AM   #9
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have used Flar- It brand fittings extremly easy to use on the PEX just what the trailer mfg uses.Just Google. Purchaxe at most hardware stores or on line.I keep a few connectors and shut of valves just for an emergency repair.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:27 AM   #10
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Here is a Video of the Flair It Brand fittings this A t but they make a full line of fittings and Valves what I like is the ease of install and removal. you can purchase at Home Depot as well as on line.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:40 AM   #11
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Don't forget to sanitize the water system.
1/4 cup bleach per 15 gallons of water.
Fill fresh water tank with bleach mix, run water pump till bleach mix comes out all faucets. Let sit over night. Drain tank then flush with fresh water.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:54 AM   #12
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

We do all just like Bingo does, except dishwasher which we do not have.
Ditto.....every trip out I fill the water lines. Turn the spigot off. Then disconnect the hose from the Monte. Drain the hose,fill with bleach. Hook back up and run the faucets until you smell bleach. I let it soak for a few hours.

A side note, we don't drink from the Monte. Only shower and do dishes.
Bigsky3625RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 03:00 PM   #13
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I do the same as BigSky3625RE except I've got an extra whole house water filter and I remove the filter. I put about a couple cups of chlorine bleach in it and run it into the fresh water tank and then run the H20 Pump to fill the lines. I let them sit while heading down the road and when I get to the first nights stop, I dump the fresh water tank, and run fresh water through the lines until I can't smell chlorine anymore. We also usually do not drink the water from the Monte and use it mainly for showers and dish washing. If we are cooking with it we make sure we boil it first then add what we are cooking in it. Works for us! I do have a bottle of sanitizer that I have not used yet and will try it next time out. We'll see what difference it makes and report back when I do.
I plan on putting some sharkbite or Flar fitting on the unit while down in AZ where it is warmer(I hope)to work on the unit! I want to put shut-offs for both the toilet and the pipes going to the washer since we don't have a washer. May even put some on the kitchen and bathroom sinks too!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote