Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
johnpjpa
Established Member

M.O.C. #11095
First long time stay in our Montana

We will be staying at Rockport oaks RV park in Rockport Texas
Lot# 7
From November 7- 2011 to march 15- 2012 (if we don,t miss the grand kids to much)
We have never stayed away from our stick home for over 30 days before, and just ask the USPS to old our mail for the 30 days.
We are going to use the USPS temporary change of address forwarding service , and are wondering if some of you have use the service with success or not, or have better idea .USPS will forward mail free for 6 months with temp. change of address
It also would be nice to meet MOC members who
Would be in the same area .

johnpjpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I temporarily changed our address to my daughters in 2003. She is still getting junk mail for me there now.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Being a retired letter carrier I used to work with my patrons/customers when they would be gone for awhile! I guess it depends upon your carrier and if he/she will work with you and IF the PO will let him/her work with you too! One never knows about this anymore! When I was carrying the PO was a lot different than it is now and I've only been retired for 6 years now! I would have them fill out a hold request and then give me a forwarding address. They would give me permission in writing to send them their mail and to sort it out as to junk(bulkrate) and desirable(first class and magazines) and I would send it to them via Priority Mail envelopes/boxes on a weekly schedule. They now have the One Price for All the mail you can fit in the box or envelope which we have used with no problems. It worked out well for all of us! The PO normally will not hold your mail for over 30 days and this way they got their mail all the way throuogh their away time until they would send me a letter or a hold notice to start to hold all their mail because they would be returning on a specific day.

If you have a neighbor/friend/ or family member that will collect your mail from the mailbox and is watching the house, you can do the same thing by getting these envelopes or boxes and have them sort and send your mail to you. I've done that for some friends also. If you feel uncomfortable with a friend/relative or your mail carrier sorting and forwarding your mail, I would go with the temp forward but it can be messed up.

Remember, if you put a Temporary Forward in also put a Vacation Hold for the approximate time(15-20 days)before you will be returning. This I would do by filling out a HOLD ORDER and sending it to your home address carrier or Postal Station. This will start all mail coming into your address to be held instead of forwarded from the specific day you want it to be held and stopped being forwarded.

As Awaywego said in their post that a temporary forward can cause some problems even though the PO says it doesn't. Your name and address is always being sold (not by the PO but the companies you get mail from)and that's why they are still getting mail at their daughters address since 2003.

We plan on taking off after Christmas for a couple of months and we will be using at least one of the methods I've mentioned above! If you have an questions PM or email me and we can talk! Have a great trip and experience down it Texas!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
johnpjpa
Established Member

M.O.C. #11095
Junk mail going to Daughter address forever !!
Could be the only incentive I need to use the service
Old 10-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I like your idea! If that was the only way to get rid of it!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
On our extended trips we have had our mail forwarded to my daughter's house. After a month or two I don't know what happens to your magazine subscriptions but you will not get them anymore, at least that's what happens to us. Guess the post office trashes them or sends them back. Besides the magazines we have had pretty good luck.

We started to do mostly everything electronic earlier this year and it helps with the mail, here and when we travel. I talk to my daughter a few times a week and go over the mail with her and every so often have her send it to us. In three months time I really only needed it sent to me once, again mostly everything is electronic and automatic bill pay.

The most difficult thing that we had was "convincing our daughter to open our mail", she felt she was invading our privacy...

Enjoy your extended trip and you will get use to not seeing your grandchildren. At first I thought it would be impossible to leave them for a few months, but you do get use to it. With telephones and skype we visit often. Of course we are told, that when they get out of school for the summer, we are to come home. "No more trip Grandma & Grandpa", next time we are coming with you........

At times it is hard to find a good balance, but as we get older we have to put ourselves first for a change and travel.
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Magazines (2nd Class mail) are forwarded for 60 days on a Temporary forwarding change of address. I think in today's environmnet you can go on the web to any magazine and change the address yourself if you will be gone more than 60 days. We get mucho mags and I change them all about 1-2 weeks before we file the Temporary address change. If you miss any copies every magazine generally will credit your account or send you missing copies. Most all other mail we receive while gone is usually junk mail as we are electronic about 98% which is 1st Class and we have become paperless. Good Luck.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Hi Dennis & Judy,

I didn't know that about magazines, thanks for the info. Always learning something new on the forum.

It was great meeting the two of you at the rally. Hope to meet again in future travels....

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mail2us

Magazines (2nd Class mail) are forwarded for 60 days on a Temporary forwarding change of address. I think in today's environmnet you can go on the web to any magazine and change the address yourself if you will be gone more than 60 days. We get mucho mags and I change them all about 1-2 weeks before we file the Temporary address change. If you miss any copies every magazine generally will credit your account or send you missing copies. Most all other mail we receive while gone is usually junk mail as we are electronic about 98% which is 1st Class and we have become paperless. Good Luck.
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We'll have to see, we're also having our mail forwarded by the Post Office to Fort Pierce, FL. Was odd, when we checkedd with them, they will forward daily at no charge, if you only want it sent out once a week there's a charge. Go figure, any answers Rondo?
Old 10-31-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
johnpjpa
Established Member

M.O.C. #11095
We are also mainly set up for electronic payments of utilities ,direct withdraw from our accounts etc ,but I am receiving a couple of monthly
payments from a escrow company that refuses to make direct deposits to my account on 2 commercial properties I have sold on contract a few years ago ( I have no idea why ). They just tell me it is the policy of the company not to make direct payment deposits .
In other words I will receive 2 checks every month from Topeka Ks
That will be forwarded to Texas , my wife will then send the checks back to Topeka to our local Bank with a deposit slip .
That is the only reason I want the mail forwarded to my winter location
I wish I could deal with another escrow company but that is not possible because all the sales contracts would have to be done over
With attorneys etc .( sometimes in life you have to put up dealing with IDIOTS.)
thank you all for the input and info
Old 10-31-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
When will the USPS wake up and start charging for this service?
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:49 PM   #12
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
When we go away the PO puts our mail in a box and send it to us once a week for, I think, $14.00 a week. Packages will also be sent for no additional charge. This works great for us and is worth the couple bucks.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote