Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Rio Grande Winter Texans
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2008, 08:10 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
South Padre update

This is a post from a regular on the SPI Forum I am on, (I'm Sparky on there...) She has a generator so she is able to get out on the Internet.
Ozz

Re: Hurricane Dolly-Damage Reports

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Schlitterbaun is fine and their parking lot is being used as a staging area for search and rescue and Fema. Fema was supposed to be here at 8am with water, fuel and ice. Lots of confusion about it and as of about 9:30 they were not there, but a city vehicle just went by saying they were there so we are going to venture up there.

Sam and Lori went to Mississippi on a planned trip. We tried to get to their house yesterday but Laguana was flooded. Haven't really made it over to the Laguna side much.

The Wanna Wanna hotel is what took the hit - the bar (believe it or not) looked fine.

The convention center is a mess. Franke's development seemed fine.

The storage buildings at Sea Ranch looked fine from the road but no guarantees.

Boats left parked on trailers at Landfall - some turned over.

The large power lines/poles coming onto the island from Sea Ranch to the Boardwalk are all snapped and down. As are all the large poles from Bahia Mar to the convention center.

The Blue Marlin is fine - they have taken off their boards but employees are cleaning up and looks like bringing in generators for the cold stuff. Don't know that for sure - but they are not open.

Walmart - closed - everybody really - without power it is tough to be open - everybody but Hash at the Island Market. Last night his employees were letting people in one at a time and walking them through with flashlights - Hash (better known as CASH) had his calculator. Smart guy and so great that he was open.

We went over to PI to check our boat and condo - Port Isabel took a hard hit too but not as bad as the island.

For some reason cell service is down - ATT lasted all through the storm and through last night but now after it is all over it is out - go figure. Sprint seems to be working but Verizon, Nextel out.

Bahia Mar has several holes LARGE holes on the west end of the pink tower. Tiki sign, down and lots of roof damage.

Padre Grand - flooded - the windows in several of the penthouses blew out and our friends who have a condo on the 2nd floor had ankle deep water.

The dunes held - EXCEPT WHERE PROPERTIES REFUSE TO CULTIVATE THE DUNES.

The boy that fell off the balcony at the lighthouse was not just standing out there. The window of the condo he was in broke and he and his mother were trying to grab the curtains that were being sucked out and it sucked him out too. I understand he has several broken bones but is going to be ok.

The house on Constellation's address was 106 not 109 E. Constellation that I posted earlier.

I honestly don't think that the power will be back on til atleast monday. They are working hard on it but the number of power lines and especially the poles (some shattered and hanging) is more than you can count.

I know it is hard to be away, but if you can, I would. We decided that if there is another one of these that we will not stay. Camping out is tough, especially now that the sun is out and it is really getting hot. But we could also take off the boards off the windows to get fresh air. We all took a hot shower (our hot water heater still had hot water in it) and that made a big difference. Our next purchase - a propane tank and solar panels.

A HUGE THANK YOU to Melissa Zamora and the EM team - they have done a wonderful job. Kept people informed.

That is about all. We are going over to friends for a fish fry - thank goodness for propane.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Thanks for the update Ozz.

Sorta on subject here, I heard this AM from a former Montana owner that I know that is in Mission, very near BPV and Green Gate. They now own a park model, she said she was glad she was not in a RV for this one, winds, etc.

They were without power from about 5 last night till around noonish today. Lots of wind and rain.

That was the extent of the report I got from her, she had a lot of business to take care of after the storm. I hope to hear from her again soon.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Any news about the area is good, I saw that Harlengen got a ton of rain and wind that broke their weather reporting station in the 70's.
Colleen's reports will be interesting.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Latest update for Padre:
Re: Hurricane Dolly-Damage Reports

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got back from Schlitterbaun for ice and water - our great town, state and government state have come together to help all SPI, PI and other communities. Law enforcement has it well under control and even tho it took a bit over an hour it went very smoothly and all the guys lifting all those heavy bags of ice and cases of water into each car.

Paragraphs - looks great - see email I sent you Joni

Isla Blanca is closed so I can't tell you anything about that.

Remember - I am just taking a look at these places from my car and this is just "apparent" damage - who knows what lurks beneath ...

I drove all the way down Laguna for the first time. The bars (all) and docks took heavy damage. Tequilla Frogs, Coconuts, the two to the right of Louies (sorry can't remember names) took the worst hit. Louies looks like it only has roof damage, Amberjacks seems like it did just fine. The houses on the bay took a major beating - none that I could see totally destroyed, but again it is difficult to take it all in and remember what to post what I have seen. There isn't anything that can't be repaired, replaced or re-done. We were in my estimation very very lucky that there were no deaths - the only thing that really counts.

City workers are removing or fixing all the street signs. Most are gone, or bent over. I have a hard enough time remembering all the street names. Hope they get them back up soon. I am sure they will. The amount of debris that the city, Laguna Madre Water District and other have amassed is impressive less than 24 hours after the storm. The community is wonderful too. We have a generator and have become the local "plug in your phone" local - so glad we have it. Sure makes the nights easier to sleep in. Only bad thing is it has to be filled with gas every 1 1/2 hours, ugggh! Something my sweet husband does. But we have a refrigerator and tommorow a HUGE cookout needs to be planned for all the stuff in everybody's freezers that will spoil if not bar-be-que'd.

The roofers and the sign companies are gonna make a killing. Almost every business sign is either completely down or damaged beyond repair.

Got to go the generator needs gas -
Old 07-24-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I also heard from Hazmic, Mic got a report on his rig, you may remember, he broke his leg and had to leave the Montana in Alamo. Basically the report on his is good, I am sure he will check in here, but there was something about:

"It can say I survived Dolly. We can say built Montana tough."

Mic, give us more details. What you have heard?
Old 07-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Another update:
jhockema

South Padre Island Re: Hurricane Dolly-Damage Reports

Just wanted to add that I received a call a little while ago from someone at the county, and they told me that one trailer was turned over in Isla Blanca (of the 6-7 that were not removed prior to landfall), the seawall near Dirty Al's was partially collapsed, the bingo hall and park maintenance barn lost their roofs and there was some damage to the Sea Ranch restaurant.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Latest:
barbara

South Padre Island Re: Hurricane Dolly-Damage Reports

We came to the Island yesterday to clean out our refrigerator.

First, let me tell you everywhere you look there is at least superficial damage and debris. It is overwhelming and made me want to cry.

Having said that, I would agree with mustlove that there is limited structural damage - mostly roofs, decks, fences, signs, facades.

The bayside is really sad with loss of many docks, piers and some damaged boats visible - some partially sunk or impaled on poles.

BE ENCOURAGED - there are convoys of utility trucks and teams on the island along with at least 2 big "Restoration Trucks" for storm and flood damage. We saw about 25 utility trucks working in teams - disposing of damaged poles and installing new ones.

But, I was told by friends who have businesses that people have been coming onto the island and stealing pieces of sheet metal that have blown/broken off buildings and everything else they can get their hands on. I was told that is why DPS has now set up a checkpoint at the base of the causeway and one reason for the curfew.

Unfortunately, as we left the island, the checkpoint had created bumper to bumper lines half way over the causeway. It was hard to see the trucks of workmen who were coming to help sitting in that traffic in the mid-day heat.

The Mayor told me he has enlisted the help of Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson to get the necessary resources to the Valley to help restore power to the island. Apparently, there are lines between the Island and Brownsville, plus a grid in Brownsville that must be repaired before the Island can get full power.

I do know as we were travelling back north on Hwy 77, we probably passed 50 utility trucks, trucks hauling the big poles, huge spotlights so they can work at night, generators, propane and the National Guard with tanks of water. Help is coming. Each time we saw these convoys, we honked, waved and blew them kisses!

The mood of those we spoke to on the island is as must love described, upbeat, thankful it was not worse and focused on cleaning up and rebuilding.

Traffic lights were out yesterday starting in Harlingen, all the way through Los Fresnos and Port Isabel and of course, the island. Getting gas was a challenge until we got to Kingsville, although I understand 2 stations are now open in Los Fresnos.

Sorry this report is somewhat fragmented. It is hard to write.

I really encourage those of you who are on the island and reading this to say a word of thanks to the utility workers who have come in from all over Texas (and maybe beyond). They are working hard in heat and humidity. We should let them know how much we appreciate them. When power is restored, they would likely appreciate some pitchers of cold lemonade, etc.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Thanks Ozz for continuing the posts!
Old 07-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You bet. You are welcome, my dear.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:44 PM   #10
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
From the other end of the Valley, part of a report I got from my gal on the ground (they live in Mission):

"there was really no total road flooding here on Bentsen Palm, though by the new water tower there was water on that lane a bit ... The flooding was more over on Conway Ave .. and other neighborhoods... I took a drive on Thursday afternoon down past BP Village .. Retama & over old Military by the Butterfly Park and other than some branches & small trees down, things looked okay. Quite a few trees looked to be down in that side of the 600 circle, but we didn't go into the park & drive around, so don't know what all damage there was there."

600 circle refers to Bentsen Palms Village, btw.

My source states they lost the power again on Thursday, was out for about 24 hours (if I understood the info correctly).

The Monitor (McAllen newspaper) still reporting roads flooded and the residents are getting tired of heat/humidity and no power.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Links for the paper:
http://www.spislandbreeze.com/
http://www.spislandbreeze.com/breakingnews.php
Old 07-28-2008, 05:10 PM   #12
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We have been on the island and there is damage. Driving by in a car can not tell you what is behind the outside walls. We have looked at a condo complex where everything is destroyed as the roof was peeled off and water has destroyed everything inside. The outside of the building looks fine.

Tons of trucks were headed into Padre when we came out the other day. There must have been 40 to 50 trucks lined up on the freeway waiting to come in.

Not everything is damaged, but that is my birds eye view from our truck. The condo we viewed will be a total for contents as the roof was ripped off and water flooded from the top.

Looking at losses in other areas we have found damage and at other places water, but not because of wind. People really need to understand their policies when they live in a hurricane area. Adjusters can only pay for what you have bought coverage for.

I can report that mosquitos are carrying me away, even during the mid day. Guess I will be buying more Deet products. Not sure what a spot cost during season, but we are paying pretty high prices IMHO for out of season.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:26 AM   #13
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
We have family friends that live in Port Isabella next to the crossway into South Padre Island. This is their report as of 7/28:

We are still without power, but expect to be back on today. Dolly caught us all by surprise. We expected a tropical storm with some heavy winds and she would blow right through. That was not the case. She sat right off shore spinning around trying to make a decision and turned into a Cat 2 Hurricane which pounded us with constant 80+MPH winds for about 8-10 hours. We had major downed power lines, poles broke off, and on the ground. The pole in front of my house leaned into the street and pulled my service down. My neighbor’s roof went through my living room window, and the back wall of the mobile home blew up over the roof and poured water into Mandy’s bed room soaking the ceiling until in fell in. We are considering pulling my house out and getting another newer model in there. Mom and Dad’s house survived without any structural damage. It looks like a war zone on our street with all the trees down and piles of debris everywhere. I went and got a generator and we hooked up Mom and Dad’s freezer, and refrig. We had a little window 1 room A/C unit in the garage, so I put that in their living room. The Salvation Army, Red Cross and local Grocers have been handing out ice and water. Our big grocer, HEB, has set up cooking stations, so people can get food. Most of the businesses have gotten big generators. Burger Kind, Chili’s and Whataburger had generators the very next day…very smart on their part! Other than that we are all fine…a little testy, and miserably hot…but fine! LOL

steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:20 AM   #14
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I really feel the weather services and media downplayed Dolly too much. JMHO. I've lived in LA and TX my entire life, usually well away from the gulf. I learned many years ago you just can't take a hurricane lightly. We were one of very few people at the RV Park in Aransas Pass that was packed up and ready to move. We wouldn't have needed to, but we were prepared. Brings to mind Hurricane Rita. IIRC, she was headed to the area of the coast we are now in (Rockport), but ended up going in near the LA/TX border. You just never really know.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hey! My fence is still up.... Yeaaaa. Someone stole all but one of Sue's plants, but we figured some low life would take them, took the risk.
Here are some good pictures of the Island and many spots many of you know, or heard of.
4 or 5 are of my lot... and my still-standing fence. Built Ozz-tough.

Edit to go get short link;

http://tiny.cc/Damage
Old 07-30-2008, 11:39 AM   #16
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Thanks for the link!