Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2007, 09:28 AM   #1
marisolwithsol
Established Member

M.O.C. #6087
Gutter Extensions Help

I purchased some gutter extensions by Camco last fall and since it was a nice day today, thought I'd put them on. Directions say it's just a snap on kind of deal, so I thought it would be no biggie.
I felt completely inept working on one for 10 minutes, so I had to admit defeat and ask my husband. He couldn't get them either, lol. It looks like they won't even fit on our 5ver! I sort of feel better now except now what?
Anyway, are there other gutter extensions that will fit our '06 Mountaineer? There are already some on there, but they are the tiniest things. Any additional suggestions?

Marisol

marisolwithsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
When we toured the Montana plant in Goshen back in 2004, they were just then beginning to put the longer gutter drains on the rigs. They allowed us to take as many as we needed. I did and I installed them. Not too difficult. I just removed the old ones, inserted the new ones and screwed them down.

If you call Customer Service and talk nice, they may send some to you.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I put 4 of the Camco extensions on mine in the fall of 04. I ended up on the roof and working them on that way. Trying to do it from a ladder just did not work. Took me almost 45 mins to put 4 on. They are tight and really took some work, but I doubt one will ever come off.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I have the old short ones on my unit and was planning on replacing them if I don't order a new unit this summer. I was looking at the extentions at camping world last weekend and there are about 5 different kinds of extentions from each company. What ever happened to one simple easy product which worked good?lol
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
...they go on tough and come off tough...but a tree makes short work of them...ahem...

Oh...and the tree also takes the base piece with it - better get spares.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I got them from my local dealer who had 2 different types and the first didn't work I had to go back and get the other ones. I agree they are tough to put on but will not fall off accidental after installed.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:08 PM   #7
rlrich
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5319
White plastic clothespins - cheap, simple and effective.
rlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #8
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Last summer I broke two of the OEM gutter extensions on our coach. I picked up four replacements from CW and wll install tomorrow. The replacements are longer than the originals. I'll let you know how it goes.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
marisolwithsol
Established Member

M.O.C. #6087
Thanks everyone, I guess I'll have to check out the other brands or maybe consider removing the originals. I didn't realize there were more than one kind of extensions. I will also be interested to hear how it goes for fulltimedreamer.

Marisol
Old 03-13-2007, 02:41 AM   #10
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
As an alternate, cut out a section of a leiter pop bottle about 4 inches by 3 inches. Fold it down the center so you have a v shaped funnel 4 inches long. Attache it to your existing downspouts with glue (goop). Use masting tape to hold it for 24 hours and your good to go. Did that on our 03 montana and they were still on there when we sold it.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:18 AM   #11
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I also purchase some of the gutter extensions from CW and they would not fit on as advertised, gave them to a friend that had a Jayco. I made some out of rubber roof material, about 5 inches long, glued them to the factory ones, they work great, and the best thing is they are flexible and limbs, wind going down the road, etc. have no effect on them.
I have no black streaks from water off the roof now.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:22 PM   #12
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I think David is onto something here. I may have to give this a try. I have a lot of tractor tubes which are really thick rubber laying around the farm.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:56 AM   #13
PAIC 01
Established Member

M.O.C. #6429
I also own a 2006 Montana Mountaineer and tried the new longer extension and could not get them on, so I returned them to Camping World and installed clothes pins on the end of the existing spouts. It works great!!!

Giddyup!!

jpp
PAIC 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:06 AM   #14
marisolwithsol
Established Member

M.O.C. #6087
I called Keystone today with two questions, one about gutter extensions and if I had the largest ones they offer. The guy on the phone suggested getting clear plastic tubing, making sure it will slide on the original extension snugly and then cutting it off to the size you need. Simple idea that seems easy enough for even me to do! The other issue was if I could get a Big Sky closet latch and if it would fit on our closet, but that's for another thread.

Thanks for your help guys, being as short as I am, I wanted to put something on only once and forget about it, without much work -this sounds perfect for me.

Marisol