Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HOBBY CENTRAL > Hamming it Up & RC Toys for Big Girls & Boys
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
To Fellow M.O.C. Amateur Radio Operators

Does anyone have any experiences on hf antenna performance when mounted in the stake body hole of your pick up behind the back window. I an using a High Serria Side Kick and it hears well but the transmit has been lacking. RF ground seems good and SWR are low. Any thoughs would be appreciated.

wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:39 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
WA4BMG,
I have a Lil Tarheel mounted on the hood of my truck. It is on the drivers side and about a foot from the windshield. Like you I receive just fine but the transmit is not the best. I suspect it is just a trade off one has to make with this type of ant. I was told by the folks who make them that I might have better luck with longer stinger. I haven't tried one yet. Good luck and let us know if you figure out how to make it work better.

HamRad
KA6TZP
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:42 AM   #3
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

WA4BMG,
I have a Lil Tarheel mounted on the hood of my truck. It is on the drivers side and about a foot from the windshield. Like you I receive just fine but the transmit is not the best. I suspect it is just a trade off one has to make with this type of ant. I was told by the folks who make them that I might have better luck with longer stinger. I haven't tried one yet. Good luck and let us know if you figure out how to make it work better.

HamRad
KA6TZP
Dennis, I have tried the longer stinger with degree of success. The biggest problem was wind load. I also tried a fiber glass whip cut to 6 feet but he wind load was still bad. I have a larger screwdriver antenna ( High Serra HS1500 ) that I always had good luck with but I haven't figered how to mount it on the truck. It is too big for a stake body hole. If I mount it in the truck bed near the back window of the truck, I have a toolbox and bed cover issue.
Toys can be such a pain at times!!!!!!!!. High Serra does have smaller diameter 6 foot stingers that may work better. I will send you a private e mail on the details or if you want, give me a call.
wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote