Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2020, 08:06 PM   #1
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Three living room upgrades

Attached are pics of three new front living room upgrades on our HC381TH:
  • Built narrow (6") two tier shelf for computer keyboard and TV remotes. Mounted on wall in passageway where steps go up to living room. Wider tables were in the way. I'm 6'2" so this is an easy reach for me but might be too far for shorter folks. Shelf is simple construction two 1x6x24" boards with two 1x2 spacers makes perfect gap and depth for keyboard. Finish is minwax pre-stain followed by single coat (two coats is too dark) of Ebony stain (matches 2019 dark HC381TH wood trim very well) finished with one step semi-gloss poly.
  • Narrow shelf on wall to left side of Theater Love Seat (the wife's station). 1x4 on that side due to couch to wall clearance.
  • Replaced cheap and smelly OEM carpet with waterproof vinyl plank flooring. It looks far better and we don't have to worry about pet odors nearly as much! Used 1/4 round molding (not completed all the way around yet). Same stain as shelves and it looks like a good match to me.
Shout out to my good friend Rick Woody for showing me the value of Pre-Stains on soft woods. Makes a world of difference on the appearance of a stain finish!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelf pic 1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	5404   Click image for larger version

Name:	shelf pic 2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	5405   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor pic 1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	5406   Click image for larger version

Name:	floor trim pic 1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	5407  

2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:00 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Very nice!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:27 AM   #3
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
Looks very nice!
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:27 AM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Very nice! Good color match on the wood finish.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:50 AM   #5
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
looks really good. we called that stain controller, we used it on soft woods to help make the stain look even.
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:40 AM   #6
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
Nice. I am going to add a shelf by the theater seating. Ours already has vinyl in the living room area.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:00 AM   #7
Igoo65
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25159
That looks great. What brand of vinyl flooring did you use?

Thanks,
Igoo65
Igoo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:21 AM   #8
fredetteb
Established Member

M.O.C. #20521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igoo65 View Post
That looks great. What brand of vinyl flooring did you use?

Thanks,
Igoo65
My wife has been pushing for me to replace the carpet as well. I would also like to know what brand/color of flooring you used.

How difficult was it to remove the old carpet? Is it glued or fastened anywhere?
fredetteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:53 PM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredetteb View Post
My wife has been pushing for me to replace the carpet as well. I would also like to know what brand/color of flooring you used.

How difficult was it to remove the old carpet? Is it glued or fastened anywhere?
Home Depot
Home Decorators Collection
Color was Cider Oak

To cut it, simply score it with a box cutter and bend it along the edge of a table. For cross cuts I use a triangle with a edge. For rip cuts I use a Steel ruler and hold it down firm with clamps to my work table.

As for the carpet:

It is easy in the larger area of the living room only having a few staples along the edges. HOWEVER, it is a royal pain where they go up sidewalls or under sofas on the slides. I think the guy who staples it to those areas owns stock in a staple supplier. No kidding under our sofa there must have been at least 75-100 staples. About 25% come up with the carpet, the rest you either have to pry out with a tiny screwdriver or drive them in with a hammer.

Also note there are some areas where they run the carpet BEFORE they add in walls and such. As in you can't get all the carpet out without taking out the walls. There is a solution: Grab the remaining carpet with a pair of pliers (helps if you double the carpet over and then grab it) then run your box cutter as close to the edge as you can as you pull up the carpet. There will be some threads of carpet remaining. You can pull them one at a time OR you can opt to MELT them back where they won't show with a heat gun!! I came up with this idea when I started to burn them away and decided that was too dangerous. The heat gun will melt the carpet fibers without a flame!

Vinyl plank also works well going up the side walls where they had carpet. Just tack it in with finish nails, very easy. If you want to spend a little money get a battery powered (cordless) finish nail gun it makes putting in the vertical vinyl and trim very easy! Mine is a Ryobi they sell at Home Depot.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:10 AM   #10
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
good job
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:45 AM   #11
Marilynd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19388
Looks great!
2020 GMC 3500 Crew Cab Dually
Marilynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:43 AM   #12
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
That flooring looks really nice.

We are considering doing something similar. I'm following a thread on another site that has a few tales of woe. Evidently some of these plank floorings tend to expand and contract too much with temperature and humidity plus are affected by an RVs travel flex, leaving gaps and occasionally cracking if snap together. I'll be interested in how yours works out. Oh, a wander through our local Home Depot yesterday - some of their plank floorings are on sale pretty reasonably.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:15 PM   #13
Greg and Sherry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17728
Really beautiful job. I personally hate the carpet & would love to do this. Thanks for the inspiration to tackle it!
Greg and Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:22 PM   #14
sberlin
Established Member

M.O.C. #22049
Well done!
sberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:25 PM   #15
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
That flooring looks really nice.

We are considering doing something similar. I'm following a thread on another site that has a few tales of woe. Evidently some of these plank floorings tend to expand and contract too much with temperature and humidity plus are affected by an RVs travel flex, leaving gaps and occasionally cracking if snap together. I'll be interested in how yours works out. Oh, a wander through our local Home Depot yesterday - some of their plank floorings are on sale pretty reasonably.
One of the reasons I went vinyl plank rather than wood laminate was my concerns over stiffness. But the "waterproof" was the main driver.

You put these floors in with an intentional small gap at the walls and they are not glued down (that's why they are called floating floors). That fact compensates for any temp or humidity issues.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:33 AM   #16
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
One of the reasons I went vinyl plank rather than wood laminate was my concerns over stiffness. But the "waterproof" was the main driver.

You put these floors in with an intentional small gap at the walls and they are not glued down (that's why they are called floating floors). That fact compensates for any temp or humidity issues.

I understand what you mean with the full floating and the gaps. Unfortunately for our use, those words in the HD description, "For use indoors and in temperature-controlled environments only" tell me that since we don't full time in our HC, maintaining normal living temps that I'll have a problem with 100 or so degree temerature differentials over a year. You, as a full timer probably wont.

I really like that flooring you used through, having seen it at HD. Sighhhh. It looks like sheet vinyl or better carpet iare our only alternatives.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote