Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2019, 04:16 PM   #1
Narnia
Established Member

M.O.C. #23878
Help needed re repairs of a possible purchase.

Hi all! We are first time buyers. So, we need your help! We are considering a 2010 Montana fifth wheel. I was told that the slide rod broke out of the slide topper. The photo looks like the awning fabric is torn, so I would imagine that it would need to be replaced. Seller also told me, "the rear levelers need some work."

My thinking is that if one slide topper is replaced, wouldn't the rest of them need to be replaced, as the new one would be so clean that the rest of them look really dirty? Or is there a way to clean the others to make them as clean as new?

Re the rear levelers needing work, I don't know what kind of work they need...I will have to ask further.

Thank you in advance for your wonderful help!

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #2
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
9 years on the toppers they are nearing end of life, the good news is they are not difficult to replace and not very expensive. Just replace as needed but make sure that is accountable in the price you pay for the RV, however these are simple maintenance item for a RV of that age.

There are several you tube vids that show how to replace Check out Etrailer.com
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:02 PM   #3
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I would get it professionally inspected
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:18 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If the rear "levelers" need work it could be a number of things. First, if its electric they aren't levelers anyway and if they were used that way that alone could be an issue. They were called the rear stabilizers and were meant to control rocking, but not meant to lift the rig to level it. You deployed those after you used boards or whatever to level the rig. Also they had a hole where the electical connections when in that wasn't sealed so frequently water got in there and ruined the motor.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:27 PM   #5
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
If the rear "levelers" need work it could be a number of things. First, if its electric they aren't levelers anyway and if they were used that way that alone could be an issue. They were called the rear stabilizers and were meant to control rocking, but not meant to lift the rig to level it. You deployed those after you used boards or whatever to level the rig. Also they had a hole where the electical connections when in that wasn't sealed so frequently water got in there and ruined the motor.
When did Lippert start Ground Control? The Ground Control electric is an auto-level system. I had the system on two 5ers and it worked very well. I had both 4 point and 6 point Ground Control 3.0. Both 4 & 6 point were capable of lifting the 5er off the ground. Could be a motor problem or maybe the legs are bent. Not as good as hydraulic system but very good. Use the boards to level in the firepit.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:22 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The 2010 models had the electric stabilizers. The hydraulic level up came out in 2012 models, and the ground Control was somewhere around 2014.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:00 PM   #7
Narnia
Established Member

M.O.C. #23878
Thanks, everyone! I talked with him last night. He said that it was electric and by his description, it sounded like the feet were missing, which would be an easy fix, I assume.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:12 PM   #8
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
this is what you probably have on your rear. https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...iABEgLTj_D_BwE

toppers you can just replace.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:57 PM   #9
Narnia
Established Member

M.O.C. #23878
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy View Post
this is what you probably have on your rear. https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...iABEgLTj_D_BwE

toppers you can just replace.
Thank you so much! I don't know which part of that is missing...are parts of it replaceable? Or do I have to buy the whole thing? Not cheap!