Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2019, 03:52 PM   #1
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
HVAC Remote Temp Sensor Mounting

If your having issues with Zone 1 or Zone 2 temps not staying in a ballpark range of what you’ve dialed in the cause may be an improperly mounted remote temp sensor...

The sensor should be easily seen just inside the plastic cover of the remote sensor and mounted outside the wall.. if it’s mounted inside the wall on a metal stud the sensor can’t detect true living space ambient air around it..

Mine are both mounted outside the walls with small plastic clamp “factory” and I have made small plastic circles to cover the larger hole and made small hole in center of the circle and slit one side so it can be slid over the sensor wire.

Remote plastic cover holds this in place and ensures only living space air is being sampled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	402CD72A-C518-44F9-8E00-A6CFD9C739A3.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	5207  

ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:05 PM   #2
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
That's interesting. I always thought the sensor was in the thermostat housing.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:33 AM   #3
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
On most rigs made within the last decade or so if there are two air conditioner units the actual temp sensors are remote mounted in two separate locations within the RV... usually LR and BR areas...

Zone 1 sensor will detect both for air conditioner and furnace ... Zone 2 is only for AC in BR area...
Old 12-16-2019, 09:55 AM   #4
Jeff & Gail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23908
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
On most rigs made within the last decade or so if there are two air conditioner units the actual temp sensors are remote mounted in two separate locations within the RV... usually LR and BR areas...

Zone 1 sensor will detect both for air conditioner and furnace ... Zone 2 is only for AC in BR area...
I had issue with zone 1 ac and heat pump worked great furnace cycled every 2-4 minutes after reaching temp. Inside the sensor dome on zone one is two wires one for AC and one for furnace. My furnace wire was in wall cavity, put both outside wall, foamed opening now everything works correctly
Jeff & Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:29 PM   #5
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Actually there is only 1 remote sensor element for each Zone... the two wires are how the sensor is connected.. it supplies feedback signal to Zone 1 air conditioner control module. Both the AC, HP, and FURNACE receive the same temp signal from just that sensor alone
Old 12-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #6
Jeff & Gail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23908
Based on pic above I see two sensors under my dome. My incommand allows different temps for trailer ac vs heat pump and furnace. When I cycle between the three I got different room temps for furnace and ac/heat pump. With both sensors now in the dome my in room temp is the same on all screen and mymshort cycling stopped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	5219  
Old 12-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #7
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
I see the two sensors and makes zero sense why it’s wired that way. Is this a dual zone RV? What year

And If I read your post right you moved the sensor outside the wall and HVAC working better now. Great
Old 12-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #8
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Well I haven't had any problems with my system, but what years/model are you talking about. I have had mine since late 2017 and haven't notice any sensors.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:19 AM   #9
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Most newer RVs in the last decade all use remote temperature sensors. The days of the thermostat doing the actual temp detection are long past on newer models since around 2012.

But if the RV is not an enclosed overhead AC ducted system then olde style thermostat might be in play.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:09 AM   #10
Jeff & Gail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23908
Pic of 2 wire sensor from 2019 Montana with in command system.