Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
paint protection (again)

there was some discussion about protecting the lower front while traveling from stone chips. Here are a couple products from 3M that I think would be a good option for this.
One is called Invisible mask, you can see it on Invisiblemask.com and there is this bulk roll on amazon (3M Clear Bra Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll 12-by-60-inches )
Just a couple of options that might help

racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:01 AM   #2
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Looks good. If everything works as advertised, it would be a nice solution. I little worried about the violent rock chips we get in this area of the Monty. Thanks racerjog. As anyone installed and used this product?
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:06 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I have decided to take the flap approach, but will be using this type:

Towtector Rock Flap

I like the appearance more than the solid flap kind, but as always that is merely personal preferance.

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We purchased the rock tamer flap system. Helped but still get chips. the product that racerjoe mentions is a good product.. but... the front lower panel of the rv is painted with a rough finish that was a feeble attempt at preventing chips. That 3M product will not adhere to that rough finish. It would have to be sanded down then applied which appears what we will have to do. It never ends.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:35 AM   #5
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I also should have mentioned that my son has used some of this on the lower fenders and bottom rear quarters on his truck with good results. do not remember the brand but it stayed in place and he was able to replace it when needed
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Bingo, you might wanna rethink those flaps. I've seen many of those styles where the baleen has shredded but I don't know over how much time - I guess from stopping debris they'll eventually fall off or get cut off.

I used this company (http://www.duraflap.com/)for my SRW but they do provide dually flaps - these did not require drilling (held on with clips and bolts in case you want to remove them when not needed and they were a good price. You can order them in any length with a custom charge but they were still priced well - I had to have flaps when I towed trailers for a living and they were required to be 4 inches off the ground. You probably don't need anything custom.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote