Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Passing of a Generation

My sister sent this link to me. With the recent passing of our Dad, this was a particularly poignant tribute to those who served in World War II. It is called PASSING OF A GENERATION.

http://www.pillowsforsoldiers.com/soongone.html

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Here's another. This one has to do with dealing with elderly parents.

http://www.parentswish.com/site04/index.html
Old 09-01-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Steve, thank you for sharing. I, too, am afraid our new generations will never know of the sacrifices that generation made for us. Many school history books are leaving out mention of WWII so as not to "offend" anyone. But we can tell our children, and grand-children and hopefully they will pass it down. I have registered both my Father and Ed's Father at the WWII Memorial and I encourage everyone to do so.
Thank you again Steve for sharing this with us.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:26 PM   #4
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
The second one reminded me of the 2 1/2 year struggle we went through during my Mom's progression through the stages of Alzheimer's. One of my daughter's refused to go see her grandmother "that" way.
How much guilt my daughter must have today. Getting old is not a disgrace. It is a privilege. Hope God gives me the chance to grow old.
My father who was in WWII, was in and out of the VA hospital most of my life. He suffered his own way.
It was my parents, like your parents, who gave there all for their country and didn't complain. They didn't run and hide. He went and she worked in the factory. Their lives were put on hold for the "good" of the country.

Thanks Mom and Dad.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sue, my Dad and Vicki's Dad are both registered there, as well. My Dad was on the USS Ringgold, one of two destroyers sent into the lagoon at Tarawa on essentially a suicide mission, to support the marines landing on the beach. They came out severely damaged and were towed back to Pearl. Dad leaned down to take some morse code in the radio shack just as a shell passed through where his head had been. Fortunately it was a dud but it still would have decapitated him. Vicki's Dad is one of the dots you see going over the side of the USS Lexington in that famous picture, as the Lex is going down. Fortunately he was revived by a friend and carried topside so he could evacuate.
Old 09-01-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Chuck and Carol, you are so right. Many lives were put on hold. My children and grandchildren idolized their grandfather especially the military part. When my Mother passed we found the letters they wrote back and forth. Everyone wanted to read them, many thinking they would hear war stories. I told them, I would read them first. Of course there are very few "war stories" because Daddy couldn't tell Mother anything. My Father was a Lt. Col. with many commendations but what I read was a young man that missed his family very, very much. No one has read the letters but me. We were one of the lucky families, my Father came home. Thanks to all of men and women who sacrificed for us.
Happy trails............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:41 PM   #7
labouttejr
Established Member

M.O.C. #5936
THANK FOR THOSE TWO WONDERFUL PICES.

HOW DID YOU?
IWOULD LIKE TO MAKE ONE THAT WILL FIT MY FAMILY
labouttejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 05:40 AM   #8
MelsJoy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7085
Steve,
thank you so much for sharing those links. I was very touched. With Mel's mom passing away this last May and us staying here with Dad, the parents wish link is a great reminder for us to be patient and loving. Thank you again.
Joy
MelsJoy is offline   Reply With Quote