Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2015, 04:37 AM   #1
Annaoinga
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15850
Measurements for King bed

I'm checking prices to replace the mattress that came with our 3725 - ouch is it uncomfortable!!!

Can anyone give me some measurements for the king bed in one? Ours is in storage and not easy to get to right now. Ours has the radius corners but if that costs more I'll just get square.

Any thoughts on this from you experts? I appreciate any help!

Anna

Annaoinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:10 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I will assume you are asking for the size of the mattresses since the size of the platform matters only in the sense of how long it can be and not contact the chest of drawers whenthe slide is closed. Rv king, also called king by most mattress companies is 72x80. Radius king is the same with radius corners. Eastern king is 76x80. John
Old 01-27-2015, 05:12 AM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Oh...yes a radius costs more... john
Old 01-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
troutbum53
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14437
We had one made for our 2014 3155rl, it measured 72"x 78"
troutbum53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #5
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I was going to start a thread on this topic.. I just installed a new king mattress in my 3750fl yesterday. The factory mattres was 72 X 80 with 12" radius corners at the foot of the mattress. I went a little wider with my new matress because I had some extra room. The width of the slide at the head of the bed measured 79". I purchased a custom size 75 X 80 x 8 Luxury Cool-Max Gel Foam RV Mattress II with square corners from mattress Insider :http://www.mattressinsider.com/luxur...mory-foam.html
I haven't slept on it or tried it out yet. I just bought it to the RV yesterday unwrapped it and am letting it expand over night.I am going on a 4 day camping trip this weekend so I will try it out. I did some research on Mattress Insider before I bought from them. They had a lot of positive reviews on several diffrent RV forums from people who purchsed from them and really like the mattres. They give you 100 day money back guarantee on standard size Mattresses(but not on custom made sizes like mine). If I don't like it I'm stuck with it..But if within 100 days you don't like the mattress they say you can donate it to a legitment charity (like the salvation army)send them the receipt as proof and they will refund 100% of the purchase price. I am not a full timer so I wasn't looking for a sleep number bed,tempuredic or a residential mattres for 2 reasons. First because of the price and second more important because of the weight. Like most of us we have a big storage compartment under the bed. I wanted to still be able to lift it so I can get to the storage. Friends of mine replaced thier RV mattress with a residential mattress. It now takes both of them to lift it and they have to hold the mattress up to get to the storage compartment or it will slam down. It is too heavy for the assit cylinders. I wasn't looking for a cheap mattress either. I wanted a high quality Gel memory foam mattress made for an RV. Hopefully I found one..
Old 01-27-2015, 06:50 PM   #6
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
DMAX: how does it react to closet slide. Does it bunch up enough ? That was my concern about a better mattress!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:30 AM   #7
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
The king is a 72x80. In the 3725RL you don't have to worry about the corners. When the slide goes in it will be tight against the storage chest but fits very well.

We went with a gel foam from "mattress insider.com". This was our second one from them after getting the exact same one for our previous Montana. We have been happy with it. It will come rolled up in a box, which would work good for you guys since your unit is still in storage.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:29 AM   #8
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

DMAX: how does it react to closet slide. Does it bunch up enough ? That was my concern about a better mattress!
I keep my camper in a storage unit it also because it's too big to keep at my home. I just installed it yesterday and had to leave. I didn't get a chance to check how it fits with the slides closed. My bedroom door has to be closed when I retacted my bedroom slides and cannot be opened with the slides retracted.I will either have to look thru the back window or remove the bedroom door before I closed the slides to get a good look. Artemus,even thought I ordered a wider mattress, 75" instead of 72", like JandC said I don't think it will be a problem. It's memory foam so the worst that will happen is that the corners will get compressed against the dresser. I will be going camping this weekend so I will post my review when I return. I only had one issue with the old mattress (which wasn't really wasn't an issue or because of the mattress). Our dresser drawers(on the 3750FL) are mounted on spring loaded rails so when we retract the slides the foot of the bed pushed the drawers in so the slides can close. When I would open my slides and the drawers would spring back but the comforter was getting pinched in the corners between the face of the drawers and the moulding. All it would do is pull the comforter off the bed when it opens. So now I just fold the conforter back at the foot of the bed before I close the slide, problem solved. I was thinking about adding a couple of inches to the length of the mattress because I am 6'1" an wanted the few extra inches at my feet. Talking with the mattress guy when I was ordering, he was very honest, he said they could do it but advised me not to. He said because the maximum lenght of the foam when it comes in is 80" and in order to make it longer (which he said they will do)they would have to cut and add (glue) it to the mattress. I said no forget it. They will also make the mattess any thickness you want. You can add more gel foam or memory foam as you want. I stayed with the standard 8" thickness (same as the factory one)because I have 2 little shelves on each side of my bed and if I went any thicker the mattress with the sheets and comforter would not fit underneath them. Give them a call they will answer any questions you have. They say that thier mattresses are modeled or comparable to the serta I-Comfort series. If you do buy one and don't like it you get a full refund, that is if you buy a standard size. Sorry for the long post but I am new to camping and this is my first RV. I am trying to give as much info as possible to anyone thing about replacing thier mattess.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:13 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The easiest way in a 3750FL to check how the bed interacts with the dresser is to close yourself in the bedroom, then have your DW (if you trust her to let you back out!!) close the slides. I have done this before. We also have to pull the comforter back from the foot of the bed as you do. I will add that a Sleep Number RV Premier (available from Camping World) works nicely as a replacement mattress. We absolutely love ours. With a wider mattress, I would be concerned with pressure on the dresser side faces, but it may not be an issue, hence an internal investigation would relieve any concerns or bring them to your attention.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:37 AM   #10
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
[quote]Originally posted by Annaoinga

I'm checking prices to replace the mattress that came with our 3725 - ouch is it uncomfortable!!!

Can anyone give me some measurements for the king bed in one? Ours is in storage and not easy to get to right now. Ours has the radius corners but if that costs more I'll just get square.

Any thoughts on this from you experts? I appreciate any help!

Anna

Anna and Jim, we too have the 3725, and we too hated the mattress it came with. As others have said, the RV mattress is 72 X 80. Could have gone with a 76 X 80 but it would have been tight. We got ours from ParkLane mattress company. They build RV mattresses as well. We got the memory foam one, and LOVE it. Also did NOT get the radius corners, didn't want/need them. In our 3725, it fits fine. Snugs up to the cabinet perfectly when slide is closed. I redid the plywood base on the bed, basically turned it around. Didn't want the cutoff corners on the end, with the non-radius mattress. Wanted something to tuck the sheets onto. No problem, that worked perfectly too. A little bit of work, but not bad. Now we get a very good night's sleep.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:00 AM   #11
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Bingo..I was thinking staying on the bed while the slides were closing but I was worried about having the extra 200+ lbs weight on the bed while the slide were moving. I guess I will try it.

TakPak,
Good point. I didn't make the bed for the first time yet so I didn't think about turning the plywood around so the none cut corners were at the foot so I could tuck the sheets in...Oh well I just found another use for my electric staple gun when I make the bed..Them sheets will definatly stay tucked now..
Old 01-28-2015, 09:21 AM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DmaxDually

Bingo..I was thinking staying on the bed while the slides were closing but I was worried about having the extra 200+ lbs weight on the bed while the slide were moving. I guess I will try it.
I did not sit on the bed, but stood beside it. The slides do not contact each other when fully brought in. There is room to stand.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:09 AM   #13
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Ok thanks.
Mike
Old 01-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #14
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
DmaxDually, it shouldn't be a problem to "ride" your bed while the slide is closing. The dealer service person said the only caveat is NOT to sleep on it in that way. I'm assuming you have under bed storage like most do, so you would probably put at least 200 pounds of goodies in that storage area.....we did.

Electric staple gun??? I love it........what a great idea. And only have to change the bed once a year that way, if then.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:19 PM   #15
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
On Our 3750 I can Hold the door open and close the slides with the Remote. We also have a 8 inch memory foam (from costco) it does slide under the closet with all the covers and comforter pulled back, however it appears that it puts downward pressure on the bed frame and 1. crumples the carpet up to the dresser, and 2. the panel on the end of the bed frame has pulled loose at the bottom of the frame. my plan is to remove that panel and trim about 1/2 in off the bottom and reattach it and hopefuly it will no longer crumple the carpet.
DAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:03 AM   #16
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DAR

On Our 3750 I can Hold the door open and close the slides with the Remote. We also have a 8 inch memory foam (from costco) it does slide under the closet with all the covers and comforter pulled back, however it appears that it puts downward pressure on the bed frame and 1. crumples the carpet up to the dresser, and 2. the panel on the end of the bed frame has pulled loose at the bottom of the frame. my plan is to remove that panel and trim about 1/2 in off the bottom and reattach it and hopefuly it will no longer crumple the carpet.
That's the issuse I was having with the carpet in front of the dresser also. I found the carpet was crumpled up against the dresser every time I opened my slides. As I said I stapled it down and so far it's been ok.I also noticed the issue with the panel on the front of the bed frame. I was thinking about putting a thin piece of plastic/teflon corner bead on the bottom of the panel so it would slide across the carpet easily.
I noticed that when my dresser slide is all the way opened and you look at the slide it is not straight up and down vertically. The bottom of the slide seem to be slightly farther out than the top. When I retract the slide the top part of the slide contacts first then the bottom get pulled in. I'm guessing that's normal to seal the slide when open and to make sure the front of the dresser/carpet it tight against the floor. I never paid attention to the sequence the slides open and close but depending on which bedroom slide closes first could cause the issue. If the bed slide closes first then the dresser slide,it should be ok because the dresser slide would go under the bed then come up and put presser on the front of the bed when closed no problem. But if the dresser slide closed first,then the bed slide the front of the dresser/carpet would be sticking up slightly and that's what would be causeing the front of the bed to catch the carpet & crumple it up as it is trying to push it closed.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #17
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
I believe the dresser slide goes in first and the mattress has to slightly compress under the dresser putting pressure on the bed frame and then there is no room for the carpet to slide under the bed frame. i do know that it was crumpled even before we took out the OEM mattress and added the Memory Foam.
DAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:21 PM   #18
Annaoinga
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15850
Great info!!!! Thanks everyone!!! You guys always come through with such good info!

I talked Camping World into matching the better price that Sleep Number quoted me online and bought it today. We pick it up tomorrow. I love the idea about turning the plywood since I didn't want to pay the extra for the radius corners and didn't really need them. I'll try to do that. We hope to take a test run this weekend.

Thanks everyone!!!

Annaoinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:31 PM   #19
Preston & Terri
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14645
Hopefully this thread is not dead. We have the 375FLF Mountaineer with the opposing slideouts in the rear bedroom. The bed recesses into the dresser area of the wardrobe slide when closed. We want to replace the mattress, but with a 76" wide normal king. We like the individual pocketed coil mattresses but not sure if it will compress on the sides to fit into the 73" opening when the drawer unit pushes back, additionally most mattresses that we like are too tall to also fit into the opening. 2nd option is to go with foam, curious to hear how DMAX found the fit of his new mattress.
Retired FULLTIMERS that Travel & Work -- 2020 3931FB Legacy Edition -- OEM Sailun S637T's -- 2017 F350 DRW, 4.10 axle, 6.7L -- PullRite OE Puck Super-5th 25K hitch -- Dish Network w/ Winegard G2 automatic portable antenna -- 50A Surge Guard portable -- WiFi Ranger Elite -- Blue Streak -- YourBestAddress.com -- RVSA Certified Technician -- The UnBeetable Experience
Preston & Terri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:29 AM   #20
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by EMCS retired

Hopefully this thread is not dead. We have the 375FLF Mountaineer with the opposing slideouts in the rear bedroom. The bed recesses into the dresser area of the wardrobe slide when closed. We want to replace the mattress, but with a 76" wide normal king. We like the individual pocketed coil mattresses but not sure if it will compress on the sides to fit into the 73" opening when the drawer unit pushes back, additionally most mattresses that we like are too tall to also fit into the opening. 2nd option is to go with foam, curious to hear how DMAX found the fit of his new mattress.
I've had my mattress for several months now and I am very happy with it. The fit is fine and I have no issues with the slides or the draws on the wardrobe.They seem push back fine. I haven't closed the slides with me in the room to see how it actually fits.The next time I go to my camper I will check. Every time I open the bedroom slides the mattress is not crumpled, distorted or deformed in anyway that I can see. My slides stay closed for 1 to 2 months at a time and if there was a fit issue I would think the mattress would show some signs of deforming when I open the slides. But I will check to be sure.

I went wider than the factory 73" Mattress.My Mattress is custom made 75"W x 80"L x 8" tall. It is a cool gel memory foam RV mattress from Mattress Insider. I am very happy with it. The 3 things I was looking for when I was looking for a mattress was 1). Fit 2). Comfort (Firmness/Density) 3). Weight, so I can access the storage under neath and have it stay open without needing 2 people to open it and hold it up. Friends of mind replaced theirs with a residential mattress, which is a lot heavier, now it takes 2 people to access the storage under neath.

You can go to Mattress Insiders website and check it out or give them a call. They were very helpful and answered all my questions. They have a 100% money back guaranty. If you do not like it you donate it to a charity send them the receipt and they give you a refund,but not on custom made mattresses.

This is what worked for me. I hope it helps.