Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
Front fiberglass cap

Today while cleaning my 2003 3670RL Montana, I noticed the bottom was loose accross the front lower portion. I pulled the plastic strip off from the channel, and it was full of water, and all the screws were rusted off. There was not one good screw left. I will be replacing the screws, but not putting the plastic cover back on. It holds water, and rusted everything out. Now I think I want to remove the lower cover, and inspect for frame rust also, It will also give me an opportunity to look for broken welds too. Check yours, all you have to do is push up on the lower front and if it's loose, you got the same problem...no matter what model

Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:36 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Thanks Rog,

Another item to add to my check list for when I return. It will be a month of work before I can get on the road. Be sure to post the results if you do further checking. Merry Christmas.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:41 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Montana Rog -

Had my front belly off several times last summer to check welds, and I noticed the same problem. All the screws were corroded and rusted. The only real thing holding it together was the silicone. The rubber cover kept the screws from falling out on the road I guess .

You've probably got the right answer by just leaving the rubber cover off. I don't see any other way to keep it drained. BTW, I don't think anything in that belly cover will actually hold much water, as it just drains out the pin box opening or down into the front cabinets which are open to the street. I don't think any of that will contribute to rust on the frame (I had none at all), but it is an excellent idea to get in there and check the welds - every year.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:15 AM   #4
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
What about drilling some small drain holes where the water collects?
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
While we're talking water accumulation, drill about 3 small holes in the underside of the bottom rung of the ladder. They tend to accumlate water and eventually rust through. When I drilled our new one within a couple of weeks of its build date water ran out of the first hole I drilled. There was already one small hole there but it was plugged with crud. I like having three holes better.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:33 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi Steve, Your talking about the bottom one that folds upside down on top of the second and beomes a catch pan? Sound like another to add to my todo list...will I have any time to use my rig!
Thanks, Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 03:16 PM   #7
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
It's a little pricey to do, but I have replaced every external screw with stainless steel screws because of the rust problem with the stock ones. Just remember to place some silicone on the threads of the replacement screws when putting them in.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:02 PM   #8
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
Well, I found out there are only two screws holding the front cap on the bottom. It is the two closest to the hitch..on either side of it. The rest of them are 1/2 inch long, and just attach the cap to the bottom cover. I also did drill some drain holes in the bottom skin at the front and rear of the two ribs under there. It is the low point, and will drain any water that may accumulate there.
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:02 AM   #9
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
Hi Montana Rog,

I, too, have a 2003 Montana 3670RL and, because of a front wardrobe shelf dropping, found that several welds on the curb side and two more on the driver side were broken. The dealer contacted the factory and my 3670RL is being welded as we speak. My dealer took pictures of the broken welds and Fed-Xed them to the facoty. The factory gave explicit directions on how to fix it (at their cost). I should get it home this upcoming week. I hope this solves it!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Art, that sounds like the dreaded frame flex problem Montanas of that era sometimes suffered, including our 2003 3295RK. Keystone was good about fixing it for us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote