Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2019, 09:36 PM   #1
LHoffman

M.O.C. #24399
Question Inverter/converter

I have just purchased a 2010 3665 RE Hickory Edition Pkg. It has a 80amp Xantrex XADC converter. I think I want to install an inverter as well as my wife needs to use a CPAP machine while sleeping. It is 120v ac. Should i invest in a converter/inverter or can I add on an a inverter. I am not an electrical person.

LHoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:56 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
First - welcome to the forum!

You can just add an inverter - no need to do a combined unit. Check the CPAP machine to see how many watts are required (assuming that is the only thing you plan to power) and installed an inverter that will handle it. Nothing wrong with using professional help if you don't want to do it yourself.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
A converter "converts" AC voltage to DC voltage. An inverter does the opposite. It converts or "inverts" DC voltage to AC voltage. Adding an inverter would just require finding a place to connect to the 12 VDC power.

Are you wanting to have 120 VAC available when you are boondocking or otherwise not connnected to 120 VAC power? If so you would need to look at the power requirements of the CPAP machine and how long your battery(s) would last running the machine all night. You might need to add more battery power if the machine needs too much power.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #4
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHoffman View Post
I have just purchased a 2010 3665 RE Hickory Edition Pkg. It has a 80amp Xantrex XADC converter. I think I want to install an inverter as well as my wife needs to use a CPAP machine while sleeping. It is 120v ac. Should i invest in a converter/inverter or can I add on an a inverter. I am not an electrical person.
My CPAP is a RES/MED 37028 (VA issued to me) and I have a battery to power it (also VA issued) if I am in an area with no shore power or lose power at home. Comes with charger. Battery will last appx 13 hrs. Check with your manufacturer to seen if available . Probably cheaper than an inverter and also easier with no special installation needed.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:00 PM   #5
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteandJoan View Post
My CPAP is a RES/MED 37028 (VA issued to me) and I have a battery to power it (also VA issued) if I am in an area with no shore power or lose power at home. Comes with charger. Battery will last appx 13 hrs. Check with your manufacturer to seen if available . Probably cheaper than an inverter and also easier with no special installation needed.
Pete,
A quick look at the user guide shows 90 watts power usage. If on 120 V AC, that's about 8 amps. If you look at the efficiency of an inverter as 80%, something as light as a 200 watt inverter would take care of the CPAP, but as others have said, you may want to think about some other AC usage that would be nice when not connected to shore power (e.g. TV, sound system, coffee machine, electric toothbrushes, etc). If in doubt or not comfortable with electrical wiring, consulting an electrician with RV system experience might be the most comfortable way to proceed.
Leftie Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote