Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #21
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
I have a pair of those fancy hearing aids and they were $5,000 each. Crap thats a lot of money. Next time i am going way cheaper. It's simply nuts how much they charge for these things. i have Phonak also. I have good insurance and some of it's covered but I will never spend this much on aids again
I recently got Kirkland 8.0 aids from COSTCO and they work GREAT! $1599 for the pair and have a 5 year warranty and also came with 6 month supply of batteries.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #22
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If you are constantly saying what did you say or you have noticed the birds do sing as loud as they did when you were young or have quit singing. Go outside with someone and have them point to where a bird is singing. Then go to have your hearing checked. You will be surprised at what you are missing.
When I got my first pair I went outside and the birds were singing everywhere. I hadn’t heard them years and didn’t even realize it. It’s a moment I will never forget. You owe it to yourself. Do it.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:40 PM   #23
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Same with music. After getting hearing aids and listening to familiar songs, I heard instrumental sounds that I had forgotten, or never knew, were there.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #24
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Yea Bill that is what I have found out with my new ones. These things are a great pair of head phones. I’m setting in my easy chair watching Peter Paul and Mary on PBS and during intermission listening to my music Bluetooth.
Lynwood
Old 02-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #25
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Beltone's with the phone app, amazing

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:24 PM   #26
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
I don't like mine. Too much noise. Waiting for my next VA review to get new ones.
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:18 PM   #27
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Quote:
Originally Posted by awheeler View Post
I don't like mine. Too much noise. Waiting for my next VA review to get new ones.
Are they amplifiers or hearing aids? for the past 4 years I've had a couple different brands, from Sams Club and then Eargo ($3,000.00) Then i figured out they were only amplifying the sounds I didn't want to hear, background TV, etc. Finally went to a hearing professional, now I can hear and understand conversations in restaurants, rooms with TV on in the background, etc.

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:44 PM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been wearing hearing aids for years the technological advances over the years have been amazing.They are now computers that aid you in hearing. We now have starkey's . They are by no means cheap but are the best we have ever had. I am legally deaf in one ear and not much better in the other. We have less than 35 % hearing left without the aids and 88 % with them. When you first get them the so called "noise" can be overwhelming but what you are hearing is normal sounds. The first time i walked out in the back yard with my first time hearing aids i was overwhelmed with the sounds.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:58 PM   #29
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I’ve had my new Phonaks for about a month now and I’m thrilled with them. When I talk on the phone or listen to music no one else an hear they cut all other sounds down so I’m not distracted by them. They cut background noise out so I can hear speech more clearly. How they determine which is speech and background noise is way above my pay grade.
I’ve had 4 pairs of hearings aid these are by far the best. Speech is clearer, other sound is more realistic. No hearing aid will give you your hearing back but these come closer than any other ones I’ve had.
If you don’t need hearing aids be smart protect your hearing.
Lynwood
Old 02-12-2019, 03:04 PM   #30
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Quote:
Originally Posted by team bradfield View Post
Are they amplifiers or hearing aids? for the past 4 years I've had a couple different brands, from Sams Club and then Eargo ($3,000.00) Then i figured out they were only amplifying the sounds I didn't want to hear, background TV, etc. Finally went to a hearing professional, now I can hear and understand conversations in restaurants, rooms with TV on in the background, etc.

They are Phonaks. Got them from the VA and yes they put me through a rigorous hearing exam by a VA hearing doctor.
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:01 PM   #31
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by awheeler View Post
They are Phonaks. Got them from the VA and yes they put me through a rigorous hearing exam by a VA hearing doctor.

Which Phonaks do you have?
Lynwood
Old 02-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I’ve had my new Phonaks for about a month now and I’m thrilled with them. When I talk on the phone or listen to music no one else an hear they cut all other sounds down so I’m not distracted by them. They cut background noise out so I can hear speech more clearly. How they determine which is speech and background noise is way above my pay grade.
I’ve had 4 pairs of hearings aid these are by far the best. Speech is clearer, other sound is more realistic. No hearing aid will give you your hearing back but these come closer than any other ones I’ve had.
If you don’t need hearing aids be smart protect your hearing.
Lynwood

Speech recognition is one of the critical test of hearing aids and the technology is now incredible. My aids have many setting that I can control. We also have a remote transmitter that transmits distant sound to my aids. Others can wear the transmitter I attach it to the TV or place it in the middle of a table when at dinner with others. It is no bigger than a thumb drive. When I say distant sounds I mean about a 100 foot or better range.

My hearing is such that if a TV or Radio is set a a normal level for those with normal hearing I hear nothing. Note that you will get what you pay for.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:54 AM   #33
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Make sure that what aids you get are comfortable to wear as well. The first pair that I had were in the ear. OH BOY! It felt like a 1/2" bolt was being screwed in each ear. I think I wore them no more then a week before I made a call to my provider and asked to change to behind the ear. That was 3 years ago and they are still working fine and are comfortable for me. There are others that can be put in the ear canal and virtually out of sight Mine too are Phoneks but are kinda bare bones as my hearing isn't as poor as many folks, generally only needed to hear my soft spoken wife issue 'honey-dos' or to try understand some millenials who seem to talk at 900 wpm and in texting speak.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:50 AM   #34
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I got a set about 2 years ago. I don't think my hearing loss is severe, but I have lost a lot of the high frequencies; worse in one ear. They put me in a set of ReSounds for about $5k. They help with clarity and fidelity and I don't have to turn the TV up so loud. However, the "rustling" sound that occurs when they are touched (behind the ear) by my glasses or whatever, drives me crazy. I have told them, they made adjustments and they still bother me. I seldom wear them now. I wish I would have gotten advise from other wearers before I went this route. Knowing nothing about hearing aids and since I never had them before, I had to rely totally on what they recommended.

Anyone else have experience with ReSound or have issues with the "rustling" sound?
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #35
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Sorry someone sent this to me and I just had to share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hearingaide.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	3138  
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:40 AM   #36
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I got a set about 2 years ago. I don't think my hearing loss is severe, but I have lost a lot of the high frequencies; worse in one ear. They put me in a set of ReSounds for about $5k. They help with clarity and fidelity and I don't have to turn the TV up so loud. However, they "rustling" sound that occurs when they are touched (behind the ear) by my glasses, hair, whatever, drives me crazy. I have told them, they made adjustments and they still bother me. I seldom wear them now. I wish I would have gotten advise from other wearers before I went this route. Knowing nothing about hearing aids and since I never had them before, I had to rely totally on what they recommended.

Anyone else have experience with ReSound or have issues with the "rustling" sound?

If it's my hair rustling the aids, then it means I'm past due for a trip to the barbershop. As far as my glasses - the ear pieces are worn inside of the aids. I did have to have those ear piecs loosened a bit though. What bothers me the most is wind noise and then the aids go into the storage box until I go back inside.

I realize that not everyone wears their hair short but one of Uncle Sam's 'stylists' way back started me with much shorter hair (goodby DA) but that's not for everyone
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #37
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Same with my hair. It is mostly when something touches them, even when I touch the outside of my ear. Same sound as when someone thumps or rubs a microphone with their finger. Last time I went in, I was told "well, those are microphones".
Old 02-13-2019, 12:49 PM   #38
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That "rustling" sound is kind of a normal thing. I will run my finger over the aid and the rustling sound tell me they are working. Never had the "wind noise problem"

It will take a while to become accustomed to wearing the aids My advise is wear them every day for as many hours as you can. Mine only come off at bedtime. You will become accustomed to them at first I was annoyed by all the noise I could hear which were the sounds that folks with normal hearing heard all the time.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #39
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The cartoon above was great because it was so true. We hear things we don’t understand. Most of us with hearing aids have a problem with comprehension. Our ears hear the sound but our brain doesn’t understand that sound. My comprehension three years ago was over 90% in both ears it’s down to 80% in one ear and 85% in the other. When you get down to 60% or less aids don’t help much. You can talk as loud as you wont to these people and it doesn’t help. A much better approach is to slow down get their attention and speak clearly.

Another thing we need to do is wear our aids, like Rich said. Our brain needs to be trained to understand the sounds we don’t hear without our aids. The only way to train our brain is to wear your hearing aids.
Lynwood
Old 02-13-2019, 06:00 PM   #40
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Yeah, that is what they told me; guess I better start listening.