Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2018, 05:43 PM   #41
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
The only place that I REALLY have a difficult back in site is my driveway.

We are the middle house on a 3 house cul-de-sac. There are several obstacles;

it's a narrow street at 10-11 feet wide, there are 2 trees that prevent me from putting the TVs front end on the cul-de-sac island and make a straight shot up the hill.

Then there is a mail box and flower bed on one side and a post light just in the tail swing of the RV.

Once I get the 5er in the driveway (9' wide) and straight, I can then back up that 5-6% grade to a dog leg in front of the parking pad. I can get it lined up but that nice big red maple and a fancy flowering bush make it interesting.

Last year I learned a lesson - unhitch the truck and rehitch after straightening it in the driveway then back the rig right into it's home pad.

Oh and yes, I do have an occasional back in site that the neighbors gather to observe and potentially learn some new language skills. Thankfully my DW is tolerant and level headed, especially after she didn't see that tree in one CG where she was directing my efforts. The scars are still on the rear fender
Something tells me you need to upgrade to a 20 acre country estate LOL

2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:15 PM   #42
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Okeedokee, I started this thread, and I can tell you after reading all of your bone head ideas and techniques, I laughed a lot, and realized I just needed to relax, and all would work out. So today when delivering our 2 full day waxed fiver to it's storage facility in Reno, NV, I got out and looked at what i had to do to get in our narrow spot, and onto our 2 x 12" boards we have mounted into the gravel to keep our rig from sitting on rocks for months, and I can tell you by just getting my butt out of the truck, and looking at what I need to do first, it made a huge difference! I backed onto those 12" wide boards the first time! I only had to go forward once, because I thought the truck was too jacked to unhitch! Woo hoo, today was a great day.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:18 AM   #43
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Something tells me you need to upgrade to a 20 acre country estate LOL
Already had that 'country estate' type of acreage with a 1200+ foot driveway, etc, etc which = too much property work time, too little fun time, i.e. RVing
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #44
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermanden View Post
Okeedokee, I started this thread, and I can tell you after reading all of your bone head ideas and techniques, I laughed a lot, and realized I just needed to relax, and all would work out. So today when delivering our 2 full day waxed fiver to it's storage facility in Reno, NV, I got out and looked at what i had to do to get in our narrow spot, and onto our 2 x 12" boards we have mounted into the gravel to keep our rig from sitting on rocks for months, and I can tell you by just getting my butt out of the truck, and looking at what I need to do first, it made a huge difference! I backed onto those 12" wide boards the first time! I only had to go forward once, because I thought the truck was too jacked to unhitch! Woo hoo, today was a great day.
Thats what I have. 2 boards on the ground. I can see them in my mirrors. Hardest part is getting the trailer wheels straight on the boards. I never settle for crooked. Sometimes when the wheels hit the boards they turn. In that case i straighten them out but never move them so the tires are just right. I have noticed that the back of the boards kick up when the tire first hits them. Good thing mine are only 5 foot long. Any longer and they would hit my trailer.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:52 AM   #45
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
Bone, I took 8" long nail spikes, and pre-drilled holes in the boards, and then hammered the nail spikes into the ground, and my boards never move or kick up. Plus I have my boards exactly in the middle of my storage space, so if i center on the boards no one can complain that I am not in my space correctly. This time the guy on my left was over too much to my side, so we could not fully open our slides.
vipermanden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:14 AM   #46
Beau2010
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18355
The DW and I have been doing this for long enough that we now use our walkie-talkies to communicate when she is directing me. With both hands on the wheel, I am not tempted to answer her on the WT, which makes for a much more pleasant evening after we get parked and set up. Just make sure she is far enough away she can't hear what I say to myself.
Beau2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:59 PM   #47
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Already had that 'country estate' type of acreage with a 1200+ foot driveway, etc, etc which = too much property work time, too little fun time, i.e. RVing
Its not for everyone for sure but we love our place.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote