Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Roof tear

I washed the "black stuff" off the roof yesterday and found a 1" triangular tear along the passenger edge, about three feet back from the start of the roof, where the roof starts to round down to the side. I put a patch on it today. There is about a 4 foot long chattering mark in line with that tear. so Another thing to check is the roof after you have been in wooded areas.

My problem is I do not know when it happened.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I tore my roof on a tree limb, on my last Montana. Happened as I was backing it into my driveway. Just bringing it home from the dealer, brand new.
That tree will never do it again.
Tore the roof on a trailer, before the Montana, too. I don't know where that one came from.
It does happen and you are right about checking often.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Good catch, John. That's a whole lot better than finding it after a heavy rain. A visual roof check after driving through trees is a good safety check.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I put a couple of small tears in our roof a couple of years ago while backing into a spot on the Washington Coast. I put a couple of patches on them and they are still holding up. So now I (and Kathy) really watch the trees while backing up.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
Yes can happen easily. We helped Comander Dewey patch his at the fall rally last year. Haven`t needed it fot repairs yet but keep some Eternabond tape with us.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
I am glad you caught the tear when you did. Thank goodness it was not worse.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We have a long driveway back at the stick house, with trees on both sides. When we brought the Mountaineer home, I got on the roof with some lopping shears, and worked on the limbs as DW pulled up the driveway. The son usually has a bucket truck there now, so when we go in, he gets in the bucket and trims all the trees up high.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:39 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Gotta watch those trees. Climbed up on the roof and noticed one of my sewer vent caps gone and part of the plastic that held the cap was broken. Then noticed scratch marks leading up to and past the vent. Like you, I have no idea when I raked that tree. Fortunately, I did not tear my roof.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #9
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
I just came off the roof tonight - checking for wear / tear. Those tree limbs cause all kinds of havoc with just a little brush by. We were on the Salmon river last week, and when leaving camp, brushed under a lone pine branch. Lost two gutter extensions, bent the element on the digital stinger on the Winegard antenna - never felt a thing! Pays to have your radar out at all times in wooded area.

Ed Benson
Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote