Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Flat screen TVs and winter storage

Our new Montana has two flat screen TV sets. We never had flat screens in an rv before. I'm concerned about leaving them in the coach during winter storage. We live N/W of Pittsburgh and temps can get down to below zero during the winter. Would these temps damage the flat screens? Both TVs are removable so I could take them in for the winter. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin

Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
According to the company supplying tv's to Keystone freezing will not hurt an LCD tv as long as you let it warm up before turning it on.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

After installing a flat screen TV in our camper this past summer I had the same concerns. I called the number on the manual and they highly encouraged that I remove it and place it inside a warm environment. My manual indicated it could be stored to -4°F. Sometimes it will get colder here where I’m at. Several people on here have left them in their campers without any problems but on an LCD the first part of “LCD” stands for “Liquid” which would indicate to me a clue that it should be inside the stick house. I would think that an even temperature would be better for it anyway rather than extreme environmental changes. To me the only downside to taking it in is that on nice days I may want to slip out into the camper for a while and then I miss having it in there. Just a minor inconvenience but I’d rather be safe than sorry.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:29 AM   #4
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Multi new RV units of various makes with new flat screens sit over the winter in the Northwest here where it can reach -40F and there have been no problems. As long as they are given time to warm up before energizing or turning them on I do not see a problem. Solid state electronics and modules are built to withstand high delta "T"s and TVs would fall into this category.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:34 AM   #5
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I just got this info from a long time local tv dealer and repair service here in MI. Take your LCD TV out of your RV in the winter if it is not in heated storage. You may not have a problem but why chance it. Owner of the shop said that it can take up to three days to totally warm up the set before you turn it on if it is allowed to freeze. The set will sweat on the inside long after the outside is dry. Owner said a lot of people with summer cottages in northern Michigan buy the old style hi-def converted tv to leave in the cottage. You do not need a converter box for these new style units.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 03:55 AM   #6
Phyllen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9165
We put a flat screen in our Cedar Creek. We bought the TV last July before we were living in the unit fulltime. Well, come January when we moved into the CC, the TV ran a few minutes then made a popping sound and then it was dead. As it was under a one year warranty we took it to repair. We had bought in at Sears. They repaired it saying the "board" failed. Within days it stopped working again. Again it was repaired under warranty.

In the meantime we had bought our Montana. When we finally got the TV back we gave it to the grandson. He's had no problem.

Was the situation caused by it being stored in an unheated unit? We don't know. However, I don't think I would take a chance again.
Phyllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:33 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Slufoot - Check the owner's manual for both your LCD TVs and check the Storage and Operating specifications. Like Bill-N-Donna suggest, the storage characteristics will state the minimum temperature when the unit is not in use. In their case 4 degrees Farenheit seems like a typical specification but if you think the temperature ever dips below that I'd remove the unit.

While the units are tested for less, in their testing they found that less of that temp could cause damage which is why they came up with that rating of 4 degrees. Why take that chance. If your temps have a chance to drop below that, then just remove and store the units where they would be safer.

Another concern is humidity. Living in southern California I don't worry about humidity, but just about everywhere East and North of the Southwest deserts it seems to be very humid and a drop in temperature combined with high humidity will really shorten the life of a unit not stored or operated within specification. For where you live I would remove the units - why risk it if you don't have to. They would last longer if they are kept in warmer conditions.

The choice is still yours.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:09 AM   #8
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
That's what I love about this site. Folks DO get ivolved and voice their opinion or supply good recommendations. Thank you all, I appreciate your response.

That being said I think I will side with caution and remove the tvs. The small one will be easy, the other one a little nore work. Now, where to store them? SHEESH! I gotta make room for MORE STUFF! HA!

Merry CHRISTMAS everyone
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
We have a Sony Bravia 40" and a Jensen 19" in our rig, both are LCDs. Here is what I found on the Sony website regarding storage: "The television can be placed in storage with environmental temperatures between -4 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit (F) and 20-90% Relative Humidity (RH)." Here is a link to the site: Sony eSupport
Jack

ON EDIT: I received this e-mail reply from Jensen this morning (3 Dec) regarding their TVs: "Our JENSEN brand LCD TVs are designed for use specifically in the mobile environment and are tested to withstand the wide temperature extremes found in RVs. There is no need to worry about removal of our JENSEN LCD TVs during the winter. In cold climates, the TV's picture quality will improve as the unit warms up.

We rate our LCD TVs as follows:

Operating Temperature Range -4°F to 149°F (-20°C to 65°C)

Storage Temperature Range -22°F to 158°F (-30°C to 70°C)"