Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Generator Auxiliary Fuel Tank

Several people have asked me to post how to make an auxiliary fuel tank for their generators.

My very special thanks to Doug Henry (DHenry) for showing me how to do this. I have built several of them for friends, I just can't imagine pouring gasoline or worrying about when the generator is going to run out of gas.

Marine Fuel Tank
Generator Fuel Cap
10” of 3/8’ Fuel Line (steel)
6’ of 3/8’ fuel hose
6 Hose Clamps
Priming Bulb
Fuel Filter
Outboard motor fuel connections (Mercury, Johnson etc.)
5-minute epoxy

BTW, all of the above parts except the steel fuel line were bought at Wal-Mart.

Remove the spring clip and all hardware inside of the fuel cap.
Drill fuel cap through the center with 11/32’ drill bit. (just a bit smaller than 3/8”).
Push fuel rod through cap leaving the flared end down in tank, the length doesn’t make much difference. Mine is about 9 inches from the bottom of cap down into the fuel tank. Leave enough to attach the fuel hose to the top with a hose clamp.

Epoxy the top of the fuel cap around the fuel rod.

Install the rest of components using the picture as a guide. Make sure you follow the arrows to make sure the flow is in the right direction!...don't ask me why this is important.

This is such an easy project; I can’t imagine anyone pouring gas anymore. If you need to use this configuration for two generators, just split the hose after the fuel filter.

The priming bulb is a “just in case” addition, but not necessary. I have used it to pump fuel from the gas tank to my scooter, which is a nice way for me to keep the fuel fresh, but it is also a way to get fuel into the generator to get it started. Once started and the cap is secure, you'll never need to pour or spill gasoline again.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Robbie,
This is a great thread. Thank you for posting the photo and instructions. I need one of these and will make one soon.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Anyone who knows the Goosenecks, knows they need this handy tool.

Glad I could help.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
We LOVE the Goosenecks!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote