Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Toliet stopper not stopping.....

How's that for a play. Having issues keeping water in the bottom of the toliet bowl. The bottom ball will not close all the way. I've taken a clean out tool and checked to make sure there is no blockage to prevent from seating. I'm thinking the issue is in the foot pedal. I'm wondering if there is some sort of adjustment. Thanks up front....

Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:45 AM   #2
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
I had the same problem with mine.. I cleaned it real good and then put some Pam on it.. Learned to let the pedal snap back real fast.. It has worked for a week now.. There is no adjustment for the pedal.. I have a Sealand..
lfw
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:13 AM   #3
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
I use plumbers silicon lubricant on the rubber gasket and it works well.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:27 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We have "toilet stopper not stopping" problems from time to time and I go in there and do the foot slam thing several times and it "starts stopping" again. What a mouthful, the sentence, that is. LOL
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
A year ago we had the same problem and called Sealand. They were having a problem with the gasket/spring area and shipped a new set for no charge. The "slam" method started working so I still have the new one.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:26 AM   #6
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Thanks all for the responses. Hope all had a great Memorial Day. Take care.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:07 AM   #7
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

Hello Army Guy...Our toilet had this problem 2 times so far.I pulled the velcro held cover off the front lower bowl area.I made sure the water was off and there was no water in the bowl,next I loosened the stainless steel clamp around the bowl using a 5/16" nut driver.(It's possible your clamp might not be tight enough and that will fix it)

Mine needed additional gasket positioning so with the clamp loose I re-positioned the bowl,left to right up/down.I call this re-aiming the bowl.I also loosened the two 5/16" screws which hold the water valve to the side of the toilet to give the gasket more wiggle room.After the gasket was centered and the same amount of gasket could be seen around the ball circumference I tightened the bowl clamp down hard and then the water valve.A small torpedo level is useful when setting the bowl up.Turned the water back on and filled the bowl slightly and test flushed a couple of times and then filled halfway with water.No problems to date...the bowl is holding water and has had the same water in it from our camping trip 3 weeks ago.

Hopes this helps.

2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:58 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
There is a kit that Sealand will send you. It replaces the spring in the mechanism and that typically fixes the problem.

Sometimes a piece of grit (don't know where it comes from) will get in/under/around the seal and it just slips over the "tool" that is supplied. I used a tooth brush, with water running, and that took care of the problem once. (Make sure you use DW's toothbrush)

As in interim, after you let it slap back, take your toe and gently lift up on the pedal. That sometimes will finalize the closing. If it works, use this method until you can get a repair kit.

If the above fails, you can use a large plastic baggie (self closing zip lock) and fill it 1/2 to 2/3 with water. Place the baggie in the bowl and it will seal the bowl well enough to keep odors and such in the tank. Have a small bucket nearby for when you have to use the toilet, and reuse the baggie.

Happy trails.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I finally fixed mine. I tried Pam, Silicone rubber slide lube and the snapping it closed. The snapping it closed was not well accepted during the "wee" hours of the morning!" I totally disassembled the whole unit and found that the black shaft on pedal side of the unit (the shaft that is connected to the half round valve that closes the big hole) was over-sized. This shaft was such a tight fit and was binding and not allowing the valve to close unless it was snapped closed. After much cleaning I removed the two "O" rings and put the shaft in my drill and with a fine sand paper sanded the shaft to a smaller size. I lubed it liberally with vaseline and now it works so very smooth and no leaks. DW is much happier and sleeps better too.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by boylanag

A year ago we had the same problem and called Sealand. They were having a problem with the gasket/spring area and shipped a new set for no charge.
Same here, call Sealand, they'll send you a kit to fix the problem...free.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #11
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
It must have been the oversize shaft. Even without the "O" rings the shaft would bind. After turning them down the problem is solved for us and our sealand toilet.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
I did contact sealand and even though mine was out of warranty, they sent me the gasket kit. The instructions were simple to follow and has worked like a charm. They do stand behind their product.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:22 AM   #13
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I have one on the way. When I phoned them the other day the lady I talked to said they have a new seal for them that works better than the old one.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:25 AM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Anyone have the contact information for Sealand?
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #15
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Hi Robbie. I think Sealand was aquired by someone else. When I had called the number was 1-800-321-9886 and had talked to Shirley.

Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:03 PM   #16
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
I talked with Susan in the warranty department. I had to leave her a voice mail and she did return my calls. She was very helpful and friendly to deal with. I think I got the number from the Dometic website link. Good Luck
Old 09-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #17
TLG
Established Member

M.O.C. #7828
We had the same thing happen on our last two trips, including this weekend. The toilet wouldn't hold water. My wife call sealand today and spoke with Bernie. He advised they were aware of the problem and had changed the seals. I think he said they changed them from plastic to a rubber material. Anyway, he said he would ship a new seal today, including instructions on how to replace it. Can't beat that for customer service.
TLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #18
otto0813
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5620
We are having the same problem; left one message - no return call. Called them again, talked to Shirley, who forwarded me to the same voice mail that I left the earlier message on! No one has contacted me yet; I will attempt to get through again tomorrow. Meanwhile, the toilet is beginning to be a stinker. Wish me luck!
otto0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #19
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Are these problems caused by the valve not closing?
Old 09-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #20
TLG
Established Member

M.O.C. #7828
Just a follow up. They promised to ship the new seal kit yesterday, and it was on the front porch today when I arrived home. The kit consists of two rubber seals and instructions for installation. Seems pretty straight forward. I'll post after I have a chance to install the kit.
TLG is offline   Reply With Quote