Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2009, 06:11 AM   #1
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Question on Drawtite hitches

Hello,
My wife and I are new to all this. I have a 2006 F350 Kingranch DRW CC 4x4 PSD with a K&N cold air intake, Magnaflow perfomance exhaust and Bullydog PMT programmer. We just bought last night a 2006 Montana 3650RK (work will have me traveling) and am having either a Curt 16K or a Drawtite 18K Round Slider installed on Wednesday. I would appreciate any input on these two hitches. I am leaning towards the Drawtite.

junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:46 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The drawtite and the reese hitch are made by the same company. If you can, take a look at both of them. They appear identical.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:45 AM   #3
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Just an update, I decided to go with the Curt 16K. With the truck I have I don't need a slider and the Curt is what the RV dealer recommened and what they install. I have a local company that does the extras on my truck and at a decent price. Thank you for the bit about Reese I did not know that.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
As long as the hitch exceeds your trailer's GVWR, then you should be good to go. I see it's been a while since you posted, but other items to consider would be:

How easy is it to remove (if you had to)?

Is the hitch one piece or two (two pieces are much lighter to remove)?

A personal preference for me was what does the hitch release bar look like? I got a low profile one so that my truck bed cover fits over the top of the hitch when not towing. Some others I've seen angle so high this would not be possible. This is important because after I get to a site and use my vehicle to drive around, the cover keeps the truck looking neat and aerodynamic and the contents somewhat protected from the outside world.

Happy towing,
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I bought the Drawtite slide when I got my Monty. It has worked flawlessly. But the slide rails get burs due to the weight and I occasionly have to file them down. It is easy to remove from the truck for storage because it seperates easily to two pieces so an old man can easily lift out. My truck cover fits fine over the hitch by by reversing the handle.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I've probably missed the boat on the original question, but I would ask if the truck has a long (8') bed. If so, no slider needed.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote