Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2008, 05:59 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Salvation Army - Sad

The Texas City area has a Salvation Army office and some storage. They park a 22 foot truck van out back for people to leave things in if they come after hours.

Yesterday, my DW asked me to bring some clothes to them, and also the 19" TV (old analog, but works). So off I went. When I arrived, the van was full to overflowing and the back open to the elements. Bags of items piled up around the van. I went inside, found an attendant, and asked if they wanted some nice clothes. She replied that the did not have the room. She stated that since the Galveston office was destroyed they had no place else to store the items. (I find that hard to believe. Maybe could have called Houston) With all the people that are in need of clothing, you would think that there would be a shortage of items. But then, you need to distribute to provide!!

She did suggest the Women's Crises Center, and that is where they found their final layout.

I just find it hard to believe that there are no people out there that need help, and the help is there. Could it be "management?"

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:22 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
That is a sad situation you have described.
There used to be a couple drop boxes close to where I live;
it became such a problem that they had to remove them.
It is a shame when you try to give something away to help someone
and find that it is complicated or difficult to do.
Have a Merry Christmas!

Old 12-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #3
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Where we are spending the winter.....the Goodwill donations are sent to a store, (not a Goodwill store). They sell them after the Good will employees go through everything and take what they want. What is left over after the employees and this non affiliated store gets them...... go to the Goodwill stores.
We were told this by a local that seemed to know what they were talking about.
We donate to a Christian organization or our Catholic charity.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been involved with a community charity in our home town supported by the Church community for many years. Other organizations such as goodwill and the Salvation Army do a great job. We have worked closely with all these organizations during the holidays and they have dedicated employees and volunteers. Unfortunately many folks treat these places as the city dump dropping off unusable trash causing them to spend time sorting through filthy clothing, trash and garbage which they do without complaint. It is unbelievable what folks will drop off. May I suggest that you volunteer at one of these charities during the season or at any time of the year. They would appreciate your help.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Richfaa stated: "May I suggest that you volunteer at one of these charities during the season or at any time of the year. They would appreciate your help."
Rich, Suggestion noted and was done this year. I rang the bell for Salvation Army. I have been blessed and thought I should help those less fortunate than me. It was a rewarding experience that I truly enjoyed. I'll be ringing the bell next year.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
No, I didn't volunteer, but some of my wife's clothes still had the price tag on them, so they were not rags. Isn't giving as good as volunteering. May those who volunteer can only give that whereas others can give the material things so the volunteers will have something to hand out.

Think about it. We all work in our own ways, just like He works in his own way. I'll have my peace when I meet Him.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:28 AM   #7
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Hope all the goodwill's are not like they are here. We have donated to Catholic charities, goodwill, ARK, and Salvation army charities in the Denver area. Here we will only donate to the church charities.
Everything we have donated has been good useable stuff.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have found that working through a local church brings about a lot more positive results. I'm not saying that Goodwill and Salvation Army aren't doing a great job, it's just that we have seen such good results working through the church.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Dusty, and Orv
It's like the guy who sat on the catus. When asked why he did it he replied, "At the time, I thought it was a good thing to do!"

There are many charitable organizations that would be more than willing to accept items. Next time I just need to find one worthy, and most likely it will be a church group. I just want to make sure it is 100% charitable so a needy person or family does not have to pay for what I want to give away.

Thanks.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:56 AM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just a few very friendly comments:

1> The Salvation Army really IS a church. It was begun by a Methodist Minister in London. The "soldiers" are members and the "officers" are equivalent to ordained ministers. Worship services are held on Sundays (in addition to all the "outreach" services at other times).

2> In every significant natural disaster there is a problem with "gifts in kind", that is items such as food, clothing, blankets, etc. This problem cuts right across the board with every charitable institution. They just have to do the best they can with such gifts. Some of us have learned that the best way to respond to disaster is to make gifts of money because that can be transmitted without waste and converted into the exact commodities needed at the time and place.

3> This is not to disparage "gifts in kind" at other times, just to point out that a different situation exists at the time of a major disaster. My appeal is for understanding and patience in regard to all the charitable agencies.

4> And, yes, I am in agreement that every denomination has a channel of response which members should first consider. For example, in my own case, the United Methodist Church has the UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief) which allows every cent I contribute to go directly to the human need designated. This is possible because the administrative costs are borne by our regular contributions.

This turned out to be more of a "message" than I started out to write, but I hope it may be helpful and encouraging to those who wish to respond to the needs of people affected by natural or human disasters.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:11 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
David,
Thank you for your words. Financial assistance is the easiest to manage and provide for the necessities needed.

Also, another avenue to consider is the local fire department. I just plain forgot that ours has a "helping hand," for burned out victims. Y'all can check with your local FD to see if they have such a program.

Thanks.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:35 AM   #12
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Great idea Wayne, I will have to check with the local fire departments where ever we are staying. Our church gives donated items to the people and does not make them pay for them.

I think it is a disgrace that some of the good wills here in this area let their employees and managers, first choice to take the donations home. This also has happened in other cities. Saw a TV special on some charities doing this.