Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2007, 03:18 AM   #1
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Christmas stamp

Looks like the Muslims have a stamp celebrating the Christmas season. Gee! Maybe the Postal Service could create a stamp to celebrate the REAL reason for Christmas. CHRIST

ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:02 AM   #2
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ARJ

Looks like the Muslims have a stamp celebrating the Christmas season. Gee! Maybe the Postal Service could create a stamp to celebrate the REAL reason for Christmas. CHRIST

There are also stamps for EID, Hannukah, Kwanzaa, and the Madonna and child to celebrate Christ. All your needs in one location, and guess what, you get to choose the one that's appropriate for you! What a business I am in!

But no, we don't carry scary stamps for Halloween.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
James,
I was going to chime in on this thread and you beat me to it! I retired from the PO two and a half years ago as a carrier and even back then the stamps were varying for every religion possible. There was quite a stink about the one mentioned especially after 9/11 but it is a business and the PO must cater to all not just a selected few! Enjoying retirement and hope to be down in your part of the woods some day and I'll stop in and say "Howdie!"

Rondo
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:07 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Well, I won't mention any names, but 2 or 3 years ago we, er, I mean someone was in a dilemma over holiday stamps. We don't celebrate Hannukah nor Kawanzaa and the Madonna is not a prevalent symbol in our faith. So what should we buy???? Well, they had one that sort of looked like an eclectic CHRISTmas tree so we bought that one. We had no idea that there would be one honoring the people who had taken down the two towers. Yes, we honored the Muslims on our CHRISTmas cards that year. Live and learn. Next time we'll ask more specific questions.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
The postal service which I have been with for 20 years after my service for 7 years as a combat veteran Marine, offers other holiday stamps that are not religion specific. It is a one size fits all and usually there are a few. One year was the dancing santa ornaments, Christmas tree stars were also included, sleighs, bears, and over the years, many other items that are not religion specific. These are what I usually lean toward. I cannot see that someone would have such great repulsion, that in the land of the United States where all citizens are created equal and guaranteed that right under the constitution (but obviously not by some of its citizens)that there would be a condemnation of a person, regardless of religion, to have something available to them to purchase for their celebration of a holiday season.
And refering to the Muslims, yes those that attacked the United States had that as their religion. That would be like barring me from any gun store because of Lee Harvey Oswald and 'Going Postal'. Ever since the advent of religion, many organizations have referred to their outright absurdities and acts as being 'sanctioned by God', regardless of their religion. Should we not also boycott the Catholic, Lutheran, Protestant, Buddhists, and other religions because because of the civil war, WW1, WW2, Revolutionary War, Mexican-American war, French and Indian war, Vietnam, and all those unnamed conflicts where attacks were made that we would now call a terrorist act?
No, the Muslim Holiday stamp did not honor the terrorists, it simply brought to light the ability for people to make their religious choice, while they reside in the land of Freedom. Plus, this stamp has been around for more years than I can remember.
This is still the land of the free, and even more now, the home of the brave. You have your own choices to make for what you believe. And I respect that choice. But all of us should remember, that other than birth and death, we have choices concerning everything in between, including taxes, as long as we are willing to take the consequences for our decisions.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:04 AM   #6
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Why would I ever want a stamp with a Muslim picture on it for my Christmas Card? Don't make sense to me!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:07 AM   #7
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Doesn't have a picture of a Muslim on it, but guess what? You don't have to buy it. There is an assortment for all. That's the great thing about this country, you have a choice.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:18 AM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Well put Jim!!
Old 10-24-2007, 10:30 AM   #9
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Yes your correct my choice - I NEVER WOULD BUY IT!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:39 PM   #10
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Still, it is your choice.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #11
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Devildog,
No, there isn't an assortment for all. There is no stamp for Non-Catholic Christians. As Judy says the Madonna is not a symbol of the Protestant faith. Since most people in this country are Chistians, it would be nice if half of these people who are Protestant would also be represented. I have nothing against other religions having their own stamps, but why should some of us who are a huge majority not have any stamp to put on our Christmas cards?

TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:05 PM   #12
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Amen, Devildog. Only wish we really believed in the freedoms we supposedly are fighting for and our young people are dying for in the Middle East. Religous freedom and respect for all religions is one of the great freedoms of this great nation of ours.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:01 PM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
ARJ,

I don't know anything about the religion of Islam but I'm wondering why they would be celebrating Christmas? With all the knowledgeable people here on the forum I'm sure someone will know the answer.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Al and Nita and others,
I like you believe in CHRISTmas and would definitely not put a muslim stamp on any envelope regardless of season or reason. What I will do is use whatever form of decorative additions to our envelopes to make sure that there is no confusing the faith of the sender. Anyone should be able to find faith-based additions and even faith-based envelopes at a Christian Book Store.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:54 PM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Good point, Dennis. Nita, you expressed my sentiments well. There is not a choice for everyone.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:07 AM   #16
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
No, there is not a stamp that represents only protestants, Seventh Day Adventists, or Lutherans, I believe it is termed a stamp for Christians. Stamp designs are selected not by the postal service, but by the Postal Commisions Stamp Recommendations committee, that is made up not of Postal employees or executives, but by the general public who serve as representatives for our customers.
And I think that some are missing the point on this. You do not have to buy the Muslim stamp for your Christmas cards at all, there are other types of holiday stamps available that may fit your needs. There are also non religious holiday stamps, that premiere today and are available to all. And If you can't find the right fit in Holiday stamps, there is always Old Glory, the Liberty Bell, Louis Tiffany, Pacific Lighthouse, Yoda, Star Wars, Comic book heroes, and other assortments. Even if that does not fit what you want, go to Netpost.com and submit the photo that you want made into a stamp, (grandkids, wife, dogs, truck or other suitable items) and these can be made into stamps for your own personal use.
All I have stated before on this, is that people pick up this information from the internet, exactly where the first person picked up the image from, and think they don't have a choice, that we are going to stuff this down their throat when they want to buy stamps. That has never been the case. You buy what you want.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:09 AM   #17
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Hamrad,

Jews don't celebrate Christmas either, it is the Hannukah. They have a stamp. I don't know that Muslims celebrate Christmas, but they do celebrate a holiday season, I just don't think it is called Christmas.
Maybe, Ramadan II.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:46 AM   #18
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Maybe you're missing our point, Devildog. Protestant Christians would like a choice. Christmas for me is a religious holiday and I would like a stamp that reflects that belief. I don't want a secular Christmas stamp. But, on the other hand, I can live without one and add decorative Christmas stickers on the envelope and use a generic stamp. There just isn't a stamp that is appropriate for Protestant Christians. Life goes on.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:20 AM   #19
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
JRGWDENNER, I agree with you, but no I didn't miss the point. The original point started on this thread is the disbelief that the United States Postal Service would even think of making available a stamp for the Muslim Holiday, however they celebrate it. And the idea that we would force people to take it. We don't. And I don't want to make this a religious idealogical thread either. Three things I have learned to stay away from in discussions: Religion, Politics and the price of Gas!
No, not every religion is represented, but the Postal Stamp advisory committee requests Ideas each year for consideration. Mother and Child has always been available for many years, then the addition of the other religious stamps were instituted back in the 70's. Even under each of their religions, there are different sectional areas. A Shi'ite Muslim may not prefer a Muslim Holiday stamp as it does not represent their specific faith or and Indian Muslim, or Croation Muslim. Still, they have a choice of purchase.
The nondemonational stamp this year is a Selection of holiday knits which I think are more to my style.
As I stated from the start, we all have a choice. I become defensive when folks think that they will be forced to take anything they don't want.
By the way, for those that are interested, we are testing a product at my office, and you may find them at select offices, that gives you the software for making your own style or picture stamp from photos that you may have or will take. It includes the price of the first sheet of printed stamps (sheet of 20) as valid postage. This program sells for $19.95 and as I said, includes the first sheet of stamps once you design it and send it off. Would be a real value for those that want something more specific, want their new grandchildren or wedding pictures or whatever on it. Again a choice.

Everyone enjoy themselves. Obviously I need to pull the camper more.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:41 AM   #20
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Well there you are! I guess I can get one of those programs and create whatever type of stamp I want for my Christmas cards this year. I just might put my Monte on it and wish I was headed South for the holidays! I guess I can always decorate the Monte in lights and garland here in Nebraska with the snow on it and send that out also. LOL Anyway, Thanks Devildog for the ideas and the explanation of the stamps and OUR choices when it comes to them for Holidays or everyday use! Since I'm a retired carrier I used to catch all kinds of static on everything from the time of delivery to the price and kind of stamps. All I could tell my patrons was "It's only a business and I only work for them. I don't make the decisions, I only bring you your mail and take your mail back to the PO to mail if you leave it in the box!" That's what Devildog is doing and trying to explain he does not make the decisions either, at least on things like that! Thanks for your explanations and I hope everyone has a great Holdiday Season no matter what religion you are!!