Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Montana evaluation

My guess is that many folks on the forum see me as a harsh critic of The Rv industry, Keystone and Montana..which I am and will continue to be till they can get building these things right.However we have now owned this 3400 for nine months, pulled it over 3000 miles and lived in it nearly 4 months.... Observations....It is actually a better camper than I thought it would be.Yes we have had some things go wrong the worst being our "melt down" and the most recent the "sewer smell" We have 15 items on our Service center fix list(so far)..most of them we could fix ourselves but won't . They built it, they did not build it right, they can fix it. The quality,
workmanship, fit and finish is much better than expected. There are a lot of Montana's out there. They are the single most common brand we have seen everywhere we have been..by far... More observations.. I try to talk to EVERY Montana owner we can and that has been I would say near 70/80 on this trip..most of them never heard of The MOC and the vast majority of them are very happy with their Montana's No major problems..few minor ones. That makes me speculate that we MOC'ers are a small number of owners reporting a small number of problems (and fixes and advise) and that the majority of Montana owners are happy campers.Can't prove that just speculation. Here is a good one..was at Rv traders a Montana dealer in Mesa this afternoon inquiring about the Big Sky and asking many questions...the salesperson said..if you want to find out about Montana's go to WWW. Montanaowners.com.. They know more than we do.... End of observations.No I am not getting soft..just as Glenn says..telling it like it is ..now back to being a harsh critic..

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Well said Rich....I've had problems with every trailer that I've own and the Montana is no exception, but for some reason I have more pride in this trailer than the others.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Rich, I, for one, appreciate your truthful assessments. I have been following your journey since you started. I feel that I have gleaned quite a bit of info from you. Of course, I hope that when I get to do my maiden voyage that it is UNeventful. I think that would asking too much, however, since being on the forum and receiving 411 like you and others give out, I feel better about my inexperience. Please don't stop being a "harsh critic" of the industry. I found out a long time ago that life is not a bunch of fluff and we must be prepared for reality. Hope the 6.4 will work out to be a good truck for you....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
I suppose that we are at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to the Montana. We have lived in ours, fulltime for a year. And many other brands also that we enjoyed. In that year, we experienced a few problems.
Nothing major, just two small items that were taken care of in a heartbeat by Keystone. When I compare what my Montana cost and what it gives in return vs a high dollar fiver, moho or stick brick, I realize how lucky , I would like to claim smart, I am that I own and live in a Montana. I could have paid a whole lot more for a custom built fiver and had the same experience. I am one that feels you should not expect a custom built home for what these things cost. But thats just me. Others are different.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:45 PM   #5
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Hi Rich - Critic and harsh critic are not bad words. Yes, you are a harsh critic but the reason we read most of your posts are because they are true and honest. We have never seen you bash a person, manufacturer or a model - only tell what happened to you or what you thought should have. You have stayed away from personalizing your thoughts in a way that should have been considered a harsh personal attack. We read Glenn for the same reason. We agree, keep it up.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We love our Montana, often we look around and speak out loud on how happy we are in it, what a nice rig it is.
It's our home and we are so happy in it.
Rich, you are fair in your comments, I can see evenness in them.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:06 AM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Rich you should have ask if the salesman was a member. If not tell him he doesn't have to be an owner to be on this site. This site will educate and inform not only about brands but RVing has a hole! Hats off to the members here!SeeYa
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 02:48 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Wow everyone, we are going thru withdrawls and we just listed our Cambridge on RV sales. Everytime we start talking about selling our 5er we get very sad.

1. We want ever be able to buy another Cambridge...
2. We haven't been able to find any 5th wheel we like better than
our Cambridge, the closest thing is the Big Sky or the
Mobile Suies??????
3. The way our Cambridge is equiped, its very hard to fine a 5er
with the set that we have.
4. The only disappointment is the Remote control for our
Heat/AC. Just doesn't work properly....
5. We have been to Camp Keystone twice, Keystone repair
center for the ones who haven't been there. They have
treated us GREAT. Everything we have expressed a
concern with has been addressed.
6. Anyone can be a critic, like richfaa this person is
right on. I don't think he is unfair, just wants
things to be right. If you own a 5th wheel you will
have problems. But if you work with Keysone they will
work with you. Oh, I have never met richfaa, but I
read his post on the forum.
7. Also Dave and Victoria have a very good report on
the Cambridge on their web site. They also
a Big Sky Montana. And its very accurate, no
Bull just fact.
8. We Love our Cambridge.........GBY...

Thanks for a very well done Forum..... Lots
of great information and very good
people.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:43 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Rich you should have ask if the salesman was a member. If not tell him he doesn't have to be an owner to be on this site. This site will educate and inform not only about brands but RVing has a hole! Hats off to the members here!SeeYa".... My guess is that someone at that dealership is a member, perhaps a Montana Owner. But his comment that "you know Keystone reads that site and listens to the members" is a tip off.I am also betting that many other dealerships are members of the forum.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:52 AM   #10
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
On my last conversatiion with Keystone and Apollo, before Lynn got on the phone, one guy asked me this "whats your member name on the forum"? Several months back, when I was having trouble with the gas valve, I was asked the same question by a dealer in Texas when I called him for parts. So, I think you may be right, they do read this forum.

And I also think you are a harsh critic, but I have to admit, so far, I think you have been fair on both sides.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:22 AM   #11
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
we are satisfied, happy owners of a 2000 3555rl and will buy another Monty when we must- just wish we could duplicate our 3555rl floorplan when the inevitable happens- the service center has been unbeatable in our book- we recommend Montana to all we meet out here "on the road again" (our theme song)- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:10 AM   #12
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Rich, keep up the evaluations. I too have had my share of issues but like you, I don't think any other brand/manufacuter is immune. All we can do is report what we find and our experiences good and bad and how we resolve them. Not too many years ago there was no such thing as the internet to share all this great information with folks we have never met. I think our postings here have a greater impact than we realize.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:10 AM   #13
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Rich, we always enjoy your posts. Have lived in our new(?) 3000RK Tana for five months and truly loved every minute of it. We could not say the same about our last rv. We have had very few problems, and haven't had to go to Keystone, as we have found Keystone dealers are very eager to fix problems, whether they sell Montanas or not. Also you were right on about Lynn at Midwest, what a fine lady. After about three years, I think we will get a 3400 or equivalent. With all the support from the MOC and Keystone dealers, I don't think we can go wrong unless Keystone changes their support phil..

bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:58 AM   #14
Buffpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5227
Rick thanks for your posts, they keep us all on the alert. Our 2006 3000RK just pasted one year and over 10,000 milwa and has been a dream. We had one small water seepage at the lav sink, and the infamous pots and pan drawer, banging into the slide. We just finished unloading after 4 months and am glad we did not weigh the unit as we both could not believe how much stuff we took and how much we actually used! Thanks and take care.
Buffpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #15
Retired Pilot
Established Member

M.O.C. #6630
Having owned a class A that cost over 6X what the 2007 Montana cost me and over 6X the
problems of the Montana I am not about to complain.
Retired Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #16
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Rich, stay the course. I am not active on this forum so I can hum in harmony with the core group as I have heard a few people call themselves. I too believe in stating what I believe and if I have to disagree with some folks then so be it. I enjoy your posts and your honest approach to life. Keep enjoying that Montana and keep posting the way you always have.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 02:39 PM   #17
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
It's too bad that more dealers don't tell their customers about the MOC.
Everywhere I go people "non Montana owners" tell me what a great unit I have. I have been in alot of units and haven't found one that has the features I found in mine.
We all have different wants and needs and Montana/Mountaineer finishes the unit best.
Spread the word about MOC.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:16 PM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We went to the Phoenix RV show there and there were many fine campers there. However after owned a Montana for 9 months and living in it, and yes have had some problems.Looking at all those fine campers, and I mean really looking at them I can say that the Montana holds its own with the best of them. As I recall the Show special for the 3400 was 52K and SOB was 68K. Although the SO Bb had a huge fidge that Helen would die for i would not have paid the difference.We are still happy with the choice of the Montana..Warts and all.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
OOpps...
Disclaimer..This is one new sofa in one new Montana.

We had seen the new sofa while at the rally.We liked it..in fact we have told our dealer we want one..we are re considering. We attempted to open the sofa.we know how it works..It would not open,,something crunched so I stopped that and decided to see how deep the storage drawer was...it fell apart on attempting to open. The sofa was poorly constructed and the drawer, as you can see, was flimsy..Isolated Incident I am sure..others will be just great????

Old 02-24-2007, 03:49 PM   #20
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have had my doubts on this sofa from the beginning. Rich, looks like you might have confirmed what I was already thinking... But in all fairness, I am throwing this into my " isolated incident ™ " category until I get more feed back on it.

On 2nd round! The sofa is made by Flair, not Keystone. Don't want anyone to start thinking that Keystone has no quality control.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote