Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2009, 04:12 AM   #1
Bill Brown
Established Member

M.O.C. #7678
3295RK Kitchen Slide

OK,another problem just encountered. Wind driven rain is coming in around my kitchen slide and onto carpet below the cabinets, under tv, trash, ref, stove. I'm unable to determine point of entry. Fortunately I just cut the opening below the refg for the extra storage so can get to carpet under there for drying, but with 3 days of rain here in the Rio Grande Valley, is now a pain in the you know what. Help!!!!!!!
Thanks, Bill

Bill Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:22 AM   #2
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
What I found on my 2005 3295rk on the top of the slide where the screws are under the seam tape the top of heads of the screws wore through the tape and was letting water in.I put some silicone caulk there temporary.I have purchased some roof seam tape to replace it when I get a chance.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:29 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Others have found that the lower outside louver opening for the refrigerator can collect water and dump it inside the slide. Check that area (where the 110 plug is located) and see if it is real wet. Waynem posted pictures on his fix before he moved to the "DARK" side (SOB).
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:53 AM   #4
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We have the 09 3400RL and have found with the Kitchen slide that when this slide is out the bottom corners do not seal and will let dust in. At night if you shine a light from the outside bottom corners you will see the openings from the inside. Reviewed this with the Dealer on warranty but they tried with no positive results. Once we hit the warm weather I will make some alterations to ensure the horizontal seal and the vertical seal match to eliminate any posibilities of dust entering the Monty. All other slides are okay because the carpet acts as a sealer from exterior to interior when slides are out.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:46 AM   #5
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Check to make sure the seals around the slide are not tucked under.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:09 AM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Vicki beat me to what I was going to suggest! You need to keep those seals around the slides lubed or soft or they will not fold out when the slide is put out! I was told to use silicone spray on the seals and it seems to work fine! IF I do have one that doesn't "flip" out when extending the slides, I just take my awning hook and slide it up the edge to "flip" it out and get it to seal against the slide! If there is a gap in the corners I've seen threads on replacing the seals but have not done it as of this date since ours are OK! Watch what happens now that I said that! Keep us informed on what you find!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #7
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Bill,
Here is a link to the topic about one of the possible fixes: http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=29699 We had a leak in ours too and sealed all the gaps in the "VENT" compartment of the refrigerator and have not had a problem so far. After I did that I found the post about this problem. We could not use the angle-iron on ours because the frame for the refrigerator grill is constructed differently than what it was in "Waynem's" rig. We used a piece of 2" aluminum cut to length and siliconed in place to form the lip. If you need photos, let me know and I will post some. I am hoping that these two things will take care of my problem.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #8
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Bill,
Here are the pictures I promised. The mod I did is basically the same as what Waynem did in his mod, but I used a different piece of aluminum bought at Home Depot for about $5.00 plus the silicone. I was able to silicone the aluminum to the inside of the refrigerator vent/grill frame. Here are some photos and explanations.

This is a piece of 1 1/2 in. wide Aluminum cut to 21 1/2 in. long and siliconed in place.

I put two coats of silicone along the bottom and up the sides to ensure a good seal and adhesion.

This is the back of the aluminum strip, notice how I sealed the gaps in the aluminum pieces (at the top and left of photo) inside the compartment.

I sealed all the openings at the back of the refrigerator in the compartment as well.

Our refrigerator has a top vent too because it is installed in a slide out. It had a piece of paneling installed so I just sealed around it with silicone.

Paneling sealed with silicone.

I hope this helps and fixes your problem.
Jack