Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #1
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
Verizon Buying Alltel?

News wires are reporting that Verizon Wireless is in deep discussions to buy Alltel Wireless for close to $28 Billion.

That would certainly sway the EVDO Coverage Wars well over to the Verizon side, and will probably affect the existing Sprint/Alltel roaming arrangements in some fashion.

Its still too early to know for sure what the acquisition will bring to existing and future customers of both parties, or to even speculate when changes may take place.

Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:49 AM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Alex, just caught this thread after I posted the other Alltel topic. Maybe Verizon will merge with Sprint? FTC might have a hard time with that, though. I currently am a Alltel customer (since 2002) w/o a contract. They wouldn't try to force us Alltel users into a contract, would they? The pricing structures are almost identical, so that should not be a issue.

I'm sure this will mean the loss of more jobs that the economy has to absorb at an already bad time...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
I'm also a Alltel customer and and left verizion for a number of reasons, I hope they have enough sense to leave a good thing alone but I really don't see them doing that. Time to start looking for a new cell phone carrier because I'm sure verizon will some how figure out a way to really mess things up. They have in the past with the purchase of other carriers that I have been with until verizon took over.
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have verizon and I would like to throttle that guy who wanders around with the Can you here me now crap. We travel the country and we always seem to be in a "low signal area" Which is their standard alibi. Here at home I have to go outside to get a signal guess what...we are in a low signal area. Helen has AT&T and she is also in a "low signal area" we are less than 2 miles from the Ohio TPK and I-480 and less that 5 miles from I-90. We are surrounded by towers but Verizon says..low signal area.. Don't get me started as this is the kind of thing we once did for a living..I once offered to go out to the nearest Verizon tower and do some trouble shooting. Give me a truck and the equipment and I will fix the *&^%%$## tower..hummmm they said no.....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We have had Verizon, both the cell phone and the air card since 2003. Other than a few, I should say VERY few, dead spots we have had darn few reasons to ever want to switch. If we didn't have a signal in a particular spot than it seemed no one had a signal in that spot no matter who their carrier was.

Last summer we traveled from Florida to Missouri to Nothern New York and clear out to North Calif. Back thru Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, etc. There were darn few times we didn't have a connection.

With Alltel coming on board I can only hope it doesn't screw up what is in my opinion the best carrier.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
There are a couple of concerns I see. I can see Verizon getting rid of Alltel's "Circle Calling" program which gives you 10 free numbers to call. Verizon will probably not like that loss of potential revenue. Also, I believe Alex mentioned that Alltel was the only company still left that allowed unlimited data - w/o the 5 GB cap.

If they start screwing up Alltel's system too much, their will be a mass exodus of former Alltel customers and it will negate any profit that Verizon thought they would have gained from such a deal. I hope they are smarter than that.

The first thing they have to do is assure Alltel customers that they will not come in and start ripping things up. They have to know that most of us are VERY skeptical at this point. I am looking at ATT. If they take that 10 free number program out, I'm gone right now. I don't have a contract...

You guessed it. I'm not happy about this buyout. I see nothing but loss of money saving programs and I see higher rates coming. I pray I'm wrong.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dave,

Have no idea if this buyout will affect our Sprint, but for now, we have free calling to ANY Sprint customer, anytime.

To say we use that benefit is a huge understatement!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We had that too, Carol. The circle calling was 10 EXTRA free numbers on other networks (any) or land lines in ADDITION to free Alltel to Alltel calling. You could change them at will and they saved us a BUNDLE.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:27 PM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I heard it on the news today if they do buy it, Verizon will be the biggest telephone company in the USA, and possably the world.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:19 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

I heard it on the news today if they do buy it, Verizon will be the biggest telephone company in the USA, and possably the world.
My experience, Don, is that may not necessarily be the best thing. Especially when dealing with customer service. Alltel's was very good. Bigger companies tend to become very inflexible and refuse to deal with individual cases which may not be mainstream. I remain very skeptical.

Maybe if I would have had Alltel stock I'd feel a little happier...
Old 06-06-2008, 05:07 AM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

My experience, Don, is that may not necessarily be the best thing. Especially when dealing with customer service. Alltel's was very good. Bigger companies tend to become very inflexible and refuse to deal with individual cases which may not be mainstream. I remain very skeptical.

Maybe if I would have had Alltel stock I'd feel a little happier...

That might be true, Look at the problems with Time Warner and the City of LA. I guess we'll have to wait and see wont we, I sure hope the government dont tamper with the company, then I know for sure it will be all messed up if they do.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:56 AM   #12
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I work for Alltel, hopefully I will keep my Network job.... As for Sprint this is the nail in their coffin because Alltel is there major roaming partner for voice and data so I would not believe Sprint to be around alot longer. They will be bought or go belly up because of all the det they carry.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote