Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Highlight of my Week

I had a great week, swimming, hot tubbing, playing pickleball, etc, BUT, nothing would compare with the events of Wednesday. You see, I was playing pickleball here at Voyager and had just finished winning a game with a fellow. Sometime during the next game, on a different court, I saw a commotion. There was a gentleman laying on the ground that had passed out. It was one of the gentlemen I had played with during the previous game. Someone said he was not breathing and they could not find a pulse. I ran over and another fellow was starting CPR, I yelled that I knew CPR and started the rythmic procedure of breathing for the guy. Someone went for a defibrillator and someone called 911. I continued breathing for him until he was finally breathing on his own. (about 18 minutes) I then relieved the guy performing chest compressions. A nurse, from the clinic here, had joined us by then also and was checking for a pulse. After the third shock, his heart started but a very irregular rythym so I continued chest compressions until the fire and paramedics arrived.

He was taken to a local hospital and had an angiogram with two stents implanted and was checked for neurological sxs. (he hit his head pretty hard when he fell). They had to place another stent in his heart.

Got word today he was doing fine. I have had several people come to me to thank me for saving this guy's life. I just said that I hoped someone would do the same for me if needed.

I was an Air Force medic for 20 years and worked in a civilian Dr's office for another 5. In all those years I never had to use my CPR training on a real patient and always wondered how I would perform if the need ever arose. I guess the folks that trained me would say I done good.

My reason for this post is to encourage everyone to attend CPR classes wherever they live. You never know when you might be able to say, "I helped save someones life this week." I feel great!!!

Phil

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Great job Phil..I know the feeling.Happened to me last year. an elderly lady went down right in front of me at at Giant Eagle store.No pulse. My CPR and first aid training just kicked in and we got her going by the time the para medics got there. As they were taking her out her Husband who I had not noticed and had been standing there watching all the time..Shook my hand and said...thank you very much..The para medics said I done good.. When I walked out to my car my hands were shaking so bad I could get the key in the ignition. It was however a very good feeling.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
That was a great job by both of you. You earned the right to feel great.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #4
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
Phil and Rich.............good job. That should make both of you feel good. John says he use to teach CPR but not sure if he could still do it, but I am sure he could. Phil we want to thank you for the stabilizer stand you gave us in Quartzsite. We will see you the first of April in Tucson. Hope you are enjoying the nice weather there. It is finally really nice here in Phoenix. Karen
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
That must feel really good to be able to help out like that. I do not have that training and it's a good reminder I should go get it.
You never know when it may be needed - hopefully never.

As many of you already know, my wife is an RN. They are expected to jump in when an emergency arises and she has had the opportunity more than once. It makes one proud...my hats off to those than lend a hand!
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Knowing that you were put in that place at that time in order to do what you did shows the ultimate planning ability on behalf of??????
Congratulations for a deed, the Golden Rule always prevails, I only hope that if I ever have similar difficulties, that our Creator puts someone there with your (both Phil and Rich) abilities and willingness to step up to the plate. Pats on the back are in definite order here!!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
What a wonderful thing!! Congrats!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Phil and Rich,
Thank you both for being there.
God bless you both.

I also have had AED, CPR and child(baby) CPR training. I have never had to use it. I hope the memory kicks in if I have to use it. I guess it's time for refresher training. Thanks for reminding me.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Thank you Phil. You "done" good.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:41 PM   #10
nghelwer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7751
Good job Phil & Rich.
Good sugestion on CPR training.

God Bless you both.
nghelwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:26 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I was required to learn CPR while I was a firefighter and had to retake the training ever year for the next 20 years but never had to use it in a real situation. I have not kept it up but with all that training I am 100% sure if I ever need it I will know exactly what to do.
Like life insurance, CPR is one of those things you must have but absolutely hope you never have to use it.

Congrats to both of you for a job well done.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:07 AM   #12
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
I too had to take CPR classes and recertify every year. I have used it twice.

The first incident happened on my way to work. A guy driving to work suffered a heart attack at a stop light and tried to get out of his car and collapsed on the street. Worked on him for a few minutes and then the fire dept showed up. No one was able to revive him.

The second incident involved one of my army troopers in the desert. He collapsed from heat. Was able to revive him before the medi-vac arrived.

I agree with what others have said, CPR is one skill that everyone should learn and remain proficient in. You may never need to use it, but then again.... Many communities offer training thru the Red Cross.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:24 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I was a safety officer in my FAA building and was required to have all the CPR and first aid training. It was provided by the red cross every year. I then drove for a transportation company that transported mentally and physically challenged adults and children for two counties board of mental retardation.. We were trained just short of being para medics.We were trained in the use of the defibrillator..every bus had one. and The device that energizes the implant to stop seizures.The private school I now drive for requires we keep current. We had dealt with many seizures in my MRDD days but had never before had to use CPR to save a life.. I surprised myself at how calm and focused I was during the emergency and how I nearly had a heart attack myself when it was over////This thread has brought up the importance of first aid training..it is a good thing to know.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote